Will kitten grow out of "biting?"

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new kitten (about 5-6 months old I think) is pretty mouthy. When playing, being pet, etc even sometimes just walking up to me. It doesn't seem to be aggressive at all; he's actually pretty "gentle" about it most times which makes me think he is showing inhibitiion. I've been trying various things like "yelping" (which sometimes stops him), and stopping my interaction with him for at least a bit. Again, it's more like nibbles/mouthiness than full on bites.

My question is, do you think this is a kitten thing or something that will just be a part of his personality?

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could he be teething? Neko-chan went through a nippy phase at around 5.5 months, just before she lost her last milk tooth.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be if he learns it gets him attention. The problem is, when people let them 'nibble/bite' when they are kittens, and play with them with their hands, it can hurt much worse as they mature and get bigger. To the point of drawing blood. Yelping, hissing at them loudly and saying NO often helps, as does getting up and refusing to play.You can substitute a wand or toy to distract them, I have found a 'kickeroo' toy works very well when tossed towards them when thgey are coming at you. I get mine on Amazon and keep one in a bag to refresh it with catnip. it gets rid of a lot of excess energy because they wrestle and bunny kick it. Your boy does not have a friend or sibling to wrestle with and to also learn limits, so it is up to you to teach him. As a last resort, you can take the loose skin on the back of his neck and pin him to the ground while saying NO until he lays still. Usually a few seconds. NEVER lift them completely off the ground, you can hurt them doing that, although you can lift their front legs off teh ground if they struggle too much. They instinctively quiet. That is what mama cats do to discipline. I think if you get him a kickeroo and let him know that wrestling with it is appropriate, he will outgrow this. teething, like mentioned above may be a erason too, a few harder rubber toys to chew on would be good also, like small balls. Keep us posted!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with di and bob di and bob , but it is also important to realize that kittens often have too much energy to be receptive to petting, and continuing to try is a recipe for them to play with your hands. You have to learn to figure out when they are receptive or not. For many kittens, this will only be when they seem sleepy and plop down for a period of inactivity. This part of the equation is something that they can grow out of.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My biting problem has turned into soft nibbles as opposed to trying to eat me....with age. He's 3 years old now.
Our other two have always been "soft nibble" biters...and age hasn't made it worse, or better.
Best thing to do is be still when being gnawed on and don't flinch or yank your hand away....That'll get ya mauled.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I'll keep working on the "yelping" (or something similar as you mentioned) and taking away any attention, or anything else that could be seen as a reward when he does it. Teething was a factor that crossed my mind, but I don't know. He does have some toys that he loves to bat around, chase, and occasionally chew on (one he really loves is similar to the Yeow bannana, but it's smaller, store brand, and it's a pickle lol)..

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm one of those who play rough with the kittens. I let 'em kick, scratch, bite and draw blood! I always have let them do it, and they always mellowed out and became gentle with age anyway. I think yours will eventually do the same, whether you discourage the rough play as a kitten or not.