Will Jeyes Fluid harm my cat?!

BraveDave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I used a lot of Jeyes Fluid to disinfect stuff on the terrace today. Kept my cat indoors cause I thought it was ok when dried, but now I read that it’s REALLY toxic to cats, and worried I won’t be able to clean it all away enough to be safe to let the cat out.
Please can anyone advise how should I clean the (stone) terrace to remove any traces of Jeyes Fluid?
It was used at quite a strong mix (150ml per 5l) and I worry that even after washing it away it’ll just be diluted.
I’m even thinking scrubbing with loads of vinegar before washing away.
Thanks, David.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I can find, it's pretty similar to Lysol. Phenols are toxic to cats. But it seems that they have a fairly short half-life when exposed to air and sunlight. So it should be OK once it's dry, but if it still concerns you, keeping the cat away from the area for a day or two should really take care of any issues.
ATSDR - ToxFAQs™: Phenol

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I used a lot of Jeyes Fluid to disinfect stuff on the terrace today. Kept my cat indoors cause I thought it was ok when dried, but now I read that it’s REALLY toxic to cats, and worried I won’t be able to clean it all away enough to be safe to let the cat out.
Would it be possible to keep your cat indoors for another day or two for your own peace of mind and the cat's well being?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BraveDave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
T
From what I can find, it's pretty similar to Lysol. Phenols are toxic to cats. But it seems that they have a fairly short half-life when exposed to air and sunlight. So it should be OK once it's dry, but if it still concerns you, keeping the cat away from the area for a day or two should really take care of any issues.
ATSDR - ToxFAQs™: Phenol
Thankyou. It seems to say that it should be ok 12 hours after drying on some surfaces, 2-3days on soil though.
I’m certainly going to keep the cat in longer while I clean all this up and let dry, but still very worried.
Trying to find something that will safely neutralise it or help clean it away.