Will I ever have the same connection with a cat again?

somniloquy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I lost my cat, best friend, and emotional support animal last year in August during quarantine. She was only six years old but had never really been a healthy cat. She was blind in one eye and had to have some cysts removed from her mouth as a kitten. She had asthma as well. I had to euthanize her due to liver complications as any treatment would just prolong her suffering.

I had a very deep connection and bond with her. She and I found each other at pivotal points in our lives. I was newly 13 and not yet diagnosed with autism and she was a very sad, scared little cat. She helped me grow and I her. I'm still struggling with the fact that she's gone and I feel like I'll never have the same connection with a cat again. I love cats, but she was a very very special one. She was my soulmate.

Attachments

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss and I completely understand when you said that you may never have the same connection with a cat again.

Once in our life we meet out soul or heart animal, and we bond with it in ways that non-animal loving person can't fully understand. I, too, have my heart cat (the one in my Profile pic), and I dread the day that I would also have to say goodbye to her.

Nevertheless, I am sure you will never stop opening your heart and home to cats in need. I am sure it is what your cat also wanted. She is eternally grateful for the love, friendship and home you gave her.

Take your time to grieve. Even if it happened last year, healing does not happen overnight. Remember the happiest times, as your cat would be very happy when she sees you also happy. Hang in there. I pray you find comfort and peace in all those happy memories.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost your little kitty. It's true that sometimes one special cat grabs your heart in a way that others just don't. It's also true that time makes these losses more bearable and you'll find a connection with another cat that isn't the same but will become special in its own way. Give yourself time. :hugs:

red dog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss and agree with the replies above. I think you should add your babies name to this thread, & hope you're feeling better soon. I'm sure you will after adopting another cat, who like others have mentioned will be different, but special in her/his own way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

somniloquy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss and agree with the replies above. I think you should add your babies name to this thread, & hope you're feeling better soon. I'm sure you will after adopting another cat, who like others have mentioned will be different, but special in her/his own way.
Her name was Cleo (: I called her "baby" and "baby cat" very often though.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I. too, lost my soulmate and thought I would NEVER come close to what I shared with her. I can tell you it is true in the sense you will never have that exact same connection again because it is as unique and personal as a snowflake. But as you let love enter your soul once more you will find that loving another is satisfying and enriches your life, allowing the love you have for your Cleo to grow even more and become even more soul-fulfilling. It is like a mother having several children. She doesn't just love one and doesn't the others, she embraces the uniqueness of each child and loves them in different ways. Yes, one may be a favorite, closer somehow, but each one a different piece of the puzzle that makes up our lives.
Your Cleo came into your life when you needed her the most. She was there for you. She shared your life's journey for a little while, and then she had to leave. No, neither of you ever wanted to be parted, but bad things happen to good people and death is a part of life. Your bond with that special little girl will never be taken from you, it is spiritual, so eternal. You will never lose what you shared. She is forever as close as your thoughts and prayers. Her love will continue to be sent to you, and yours to her, as long as you are here on this earth. She is a permanent part of your soul now. She uses hers as comfort for being away and wants you to use yours as comfort also, not something that brings you pain. Because just as you would want for her if you were the first to go, so she wants for you. That is love.
We are here to tell you you CAN be happy once more, you CAN love again, just in a different way. It just takes time, one day at a time.......You have not been on that journey of grieving for long. For some, it takes many years to get to that place when you can " Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened." But eventually, you will because you cannot sustain the pain you are going through forever. The soul seeks life and all it brings, which includes being happy and loving once more.......RIP sweet Cleo. You will always be missed, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. When we lost my hubby's heart cat I truly believed he would never be ready to bring another cat into his life. But eventually he reluctantly agreed to get another cat. The kitten had a few health problems and I could see my hubby was trying not to get attached, but the kitten had other ideas. By pure stubbornness and courage the kitten wormed his way into his heart. And then one day my hubby said do you think he's like Tik. My reply was no but maybe Tik sent Bandit because he knew you needed a cat and he needed a owner. di and bob di and bob have put this so much better than I ever could, but eventually when the time is right a different cat will come and you will love that cat for a bunch of different reasons. RIP sweet Cleo:rbheart: you'll be in good company at the bridge.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
somniloquy somniloquy , I'm sorry for your loss, your Cleo was so young and you were each other's support, no doubt.
As others have said, no, you won't have the same connection with another cat, you will have a new and different connection. It could be worse or better, it doesn't matter, it will be a connection, a unique one, and you'll remember it fondly as you are remembering the one you had with Cleo.

I had a deep, unique, wonderful, connection with the cat in my avatar. When she left me I already knew that nothing could ever come even near to what we had between us, and I was right.
I have two new cats now, they are lovely, I love them, they adore me. This relationship is still growing, so it isn't perfect yet, but I already know that even at its top level it will only be a fraction of what I had with Lola. Nonetheless it's a relationship that is worth having and living.

You'll find a new cat, or better, a cat will find you, and it will be the beginning of a new adventure, a different one, but amazing all the same.

Best of luck!

Last edited: