Will Her Fur Grow Back?.

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Recently, I adopted our fourteen year old shop cat, Mary. She's snoozing beside me right now. She was a barn cat before Animal Control got her. We adopted her from Animal Control eleven years ago and she's been a pet supply store mouser ever since. I brought her home for the government-inflicted winter holidays and noticed that she is doing much better. She doesn't suffer from static in our house. She's drinking more water and gets canned food much more often throughout the day. Her paws aren't dried and cracking from the road salt that gets tracked into the store. She has big windows to look out and lots of cat trees. She's made friends with a few of the other cats, though it took her a week and a half to get the idea of Kitty Kat, who can't hear.
Anyhow, one thing she's enjoying is walking around naked. No collar. I don't make anyone wear one unless we have to go somewhere. Despite her collar being a soy collar and extremely light and soft, it has rubbed all the fur off around her neck. She's been home since 24 December and I'm not seeing any regrowth. Is she marked for life?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fur grows back really slowly. My Krista would have IV arms and ultrasound belly for months before it filled back in again. A quick google search says three to six months is not unheard of depending on whether she's a short-hair or long-hair cat.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It will eventually grow back. One of my long hair cats used to wear a collar all the time but a few years ago I decided not to bother since she's chipped and never ever bolts to the door. Her fur was somewhat rubbed out from the collar and it's completely grown back and then some. She's got a nice, thick ruff now.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My medium furred kitty got an irritation from a collar (a rivet wasn't completely crimped right) and she licked off about a 1 inch by 2 inch streak of fur. It took about a month to grow back. Her belly fur, which had been shaved by a shelter to look for a spay tattoo, took well over 2 months to start to get some fuzz (plus Fancy was very malnourished when I got her).

Unfortunately I will need to put a collar back on her with a bell for both her safety and mine. Several times she's scooted between my feet and twice I stepped on her paw - one of those times I nearly fell. I need to be able to hear where she is. My other cat wears her collar and bell just fine. Once I took it off to put on another collar, and she looked at me like "why did you take off my collar? Oh, is this new one for me? Well OK then."

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as there isn’t any scarring on the neck, it should grow back just fine. At worst, should take till her next shed.

Here’s my girls’ shaved tummy October 2021 031F47D6-8C37-44E0-ADBD-3512323704FE.jpeg 303D181A-95C5-4132-8D82-C5FFA52780BB.jpeg

Still mostly bald in November
4D615FDF-35EE-4AF9-9900-934307614E4B.jpeg
December, some proper growth, finally
B4B3BEE7-77C2-4B9E-B5C8-4DD0BE8BCB84.jpeg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for saving her ❤ She is living the good life now 😻 I hope it grows back soon. My Giorgio, one of my outdoor guys who passed in December 2020 showed up dumped with a collar on. It was on for years but eventually it fell off. He always had an indentation in his fur there but I am not sure if he had fur loss. He became touchable outside and I took him in because he was sick but tragically it was too late and I could not save him.

Did you ask your dvm about it?

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fur grows back really slowly. My Krista would have IV arms and ultrasound belly for months before it filled back in again. A quick google search says three to six months is not unheard of depending on whether she's a short-hair or long-hair cat.
My Buddy has the two shaved rings around his front paws that mark an IV experience...had him since late February, and the fur is just now growing back. Then he is constantly licking them, so so maybe that is slowing regrowth.