Will Giving My Guys Propper Baths Get Rid Of All Their Extra Hair?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guys are shedding. I brush Dante and take away enough fur to make a couple handfuls of compressed fur! I give my guys wet wipe baths but I'm wondering. If I give them a REAL bath in a sink with a shower nozzle, will it get rid of their extra hair? If so for how long?

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just bathed my kittens yesterday and fur is still flying when i stroke them today, so i guess bathing will just get rid of hair that has already shed, but it wont stop the shedding itself.

I swear by furminator though. I think they also make a deshedding spray, but i havent tried it out yet.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My guys are shedding. I brush Dante and take away enough fur to make a couple handfuls of compressed fur! I give my guys wet wipe baths but I'm wondering. If I give them a REAL bath in a sink with a shower nozzle, will it get rid of their extra hair? If so for how long?
Probably not. All fuzzy animals shed lots and lots of hairs every day, some individuals more than others. Even most humans shed quite a lot (thus all the hair that gets in our drains, pillows, and annoyingly, into the necks of our sweaters) despite the fact that most of us bathe several times a week.

Likewise, your cat will be right back to shedding probably hundreds of hairs the very next day, because they do that every day, and they also have a lot more hair than we do.

Beyond that, you may run into skin or behavior issues from trying to bathe them often. Most cats have a full on "lick-down" after a bath, to replace all the scent and re-distribute their oil to protect their fur. If they were doing this constantly, you may run into over-grooming issues, dry skin, and that sort of thing.

They also probably wouldn't like you very much, as most cats just aren't great with water. And it's even entirely possible they might start shedding more from being stressed out. Ever notice the way cats just molt like crazy at the vet or in other high-stress situations? Yeah...

Your cat's already taking care of the problem about as well as it could be. They tease out tons of shed hairs when they clean themselves, thus the occasional hairball.

Unfortunately, lovingly covering us in cat hair is part of their charm. Lint rollers and deshedding brushes are your friend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL yeah it is charming watching the fur tumble weeds roll on the floor ;) Brushing them with that rubber kong brush works great ... I give my guys wet wipe baths just to make their lives & mine easier. No my cats don't like baths but they tolerate them. However if it isn't going to help, there is no reason to do it.
:kneading: