Will forcing my brat to eat the same kind/flavor of (Non-fish) wet food Work? Will it hurt him?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackie is a fish loving picky terror! He is down to eating 1/16-1/4 cup of dry food max every day. Thing is he is crazy picky about his wet food. What he likes one week or month he dislikes later. I try to give him lots of variety. He is insisting on most of his food being tuna or whitefish!

So if I buy a large box or two Of canned duck or turkey or beef & liver fancy feat ..... and give him that one type of food every day for a few months, will it break him of his picky habit? I’m willing to limit his dry food intake. As a kitten he refused to eat the non fish wet food and would do without, barely nibbling! 🤦🏻‍♀️ However then I was giving him variety.

I was also thinking of getting one base wet food in duck or beef or lamb & then one of his favorite fancy feast Tuscany tuna. Then mixing his meals with 4 parts tuna to 1 part duck. Then gradually over 2-3 months increasing the amount of duck to 4 parts /1 part tuna.

Is not just feeding him tuna everything worth the battle? I want him to have variety (less allergy risk) but mainly I’m worried about this causing him pancreas issues later. He mostly doesn’t care for salmon & will eat it occasionally.

He will eat a 1/2 can 2-3 times a week of turkey Tuscany or fancy feast gravy lovers beef feast or beef & liver in gravy ..... but he still nibbles at it & will not eat it more often!

Can someone please help me with my picky little twerp?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are well known to be picky about their eating habits! Mine are too, I just get several kinds of their favorites and when they stop eating one go to another. Canned food keeps for a LONG time, so really there is no waste. They especially like the fish-flavored pouch food, right now anyway!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is doing ok eating food that is mixing 2 cans together or already mixed in the can. He eats half & half but he prefers the tuna lickable treats straight up like he gets at Nana’s house. 🙄 I’m going to start mixing everything he eats at Nana’s house to. Hopefully over the next year I can get him down to 1/3 or 1/4 fish.

He will eat the following mixed with salmon or tuna: turkey, lamb, chicken, beef & duck. He will eat tuna and whitefish but that is still a fish 😉

I will try rabbit if I can only buy 2-5 cans at a time. I don’twant to commit to a $40-60 case before he tries it. It costs me at least double the amount of $$$ to feed him wet over dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called my local petco & they sell a couple of brands. So I will try a few. I mainly give him variety & make sure he gets different protein every day so he doesn’t get bored. I try to keep his chicken to just a bit. He isn’t to fond of lamb, I’m wondering if he might like pork? (He had rabbit once before & he liked it at first and then after the third time was done with it. I think he might really like a rabbit & tuna mix.)

Thank you for your help!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A healthy cat will not starve itself but if they don’t like the wet they may want more dry. I really like Crave wet food because it comes in the two 1.3 oz packs and half a dozen different flavors. That way Willow gets something different every day and nothing reheated (she hates this).