Will feral toms hurt neutered males?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got a predicament that I need solved, I hope this wonderful site can answer my questions. I've got two beautiful year old long haired orange toms that are brothers and showed up here from across the street, they decided lately I was much more accomadating over here. I noticed that since they are about a year old now the 'wandering' toms are starting to beat them up rather badly, I'm sure to drive them off. These toms are new around here too, and I think owned by other neighbors because they appear to be well fed and come right up to my house. If I neuter these boys (which I plan on doing ASAP) will the fights stop, or will I have to find them new homes. They are the sweetest, most lovey cats I have ever encountered., and I want to do what is best. They don't bother my house cats at all, and get along with everyone.  They are my neighbors cats, but since he doesn't care what happens to them (he told me so) I can get then neutered and vaccinated. So, does someone have experience with neutered and unneutered males in the same vicinity?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I've got a predicament that I need solved, I hope this wonderful site can answer my questions. I've got two beautiful year old long haired orange toms that are brothers and showed up here from across the street, they decided lately I was much more accomadating over here. I noticed that since they are about a year old now the 'wandering' toms are starting to beat them up rather badly, I'm sure to drive them off. These toms are new around here too, and I think owned by other neighbors because they appear to be well fed and come right up to my house. If I neuter these boys (which I plan on doing ASAP) will the fights stop, or will I have to find them new homes. They are the sweetest, most lovey cats I have ever encountered., and I want to do what is best. They don't bother my house cats at all, and get along with everyone.  They are my neighbors cats, but since he doesn't care what happens to them (he told me so) I can get then neutered and vaccinated. So, does someone have experience with neutered and unneutered males in the same vicinity?
It will certainly be much lesser of problems for them.  They may still be beaten up, but it wont be the same viciousness.   It will be merely the usual defending of the core revire, NOT the beating up of  possible competitors.

Also, neutering them is a nice gift for them,,,  So whatever the exact outcome, please go forward with the planes.  That is the way to go, regardless.

ps.  And also, if its possible, neutering these mean toms, this too will  reduce the problem.   This ps added the day after.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Stefan.  I have had a few toms that were difficult to trap.  They would bother my other neutered ferals.  It was a major problem.  Once neutered they did calm down, yet it took awhile.  Once the hormones are gone and their scent is reduced the others should leave them alone or at least the attacks should lessen over time.  I have one tom that frequents my property right now.  He belongs to someone about a mile from here.  He come a few times each week.  He fought with one of my toms before my tom was neutered.  Once neutered, he leaves them all alone.  I would love to trap him and get him neutered, but he avoids the trap.  He also comes at odd times.  I only know he is here because of my surveillance cameras. 

Neuter the boys.  They will be happier and healthier!!