Will dog pet door work for cats?

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our outside/feral cats and kittens can go in the heated garage thru a dog pet door. The door got a lot of abuse when we had a dog. We no longer have one. There isn't much of the flap left. Magnet is totally gone. I need to replace either the flap or the entire door soon as winter is on our door step. Would a new dog door be too difficult for the cats to get open? Or should I go with a "cat door"? Prices are about the same.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just watch and make sure that they can go through the door with a new flap, but I don't think a cat-specific one is necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't want to go thru the expense of a new door if the cats would find a dog door difficult to use. Was hoping someone had some experience with this. Not sure if a dog flap is more difficult to open than a cat flap.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only issue I would see is the magnet being too strong for the cats to open the flap.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree- if it's already installed, don't go through the hassle of a new door, etc.! That's being resourceful. :)

I think the size is what makes them different, ie, a 10lb cat might have issues with a door designed for a 150lb mastiff. But, if you're going to replace the flap anyway, maybe get a lightweight plastic that will be easier for them to push open vs. hard plastic?

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The door that is in there is a med dog size. The flap is what is shot and needs to be replaced as a lot of cold air comes in. I can get a replacement flap. Not sure if the cats could push the flap open with the magnet on. If I cut the magnet off, that will leave a gap on the bottom for cold air to enter. So I have a slight dilemma.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea. I will give that some thought.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the cats could learn how to go through you may have to help them tho
Prop it open and then partially so they can feel how it is to go in
I just got my Feral to in an out my cat door that has a magnet on it
It took her 2 weeks tho, hmm maybe it's been 3, I put something in the door to partially open it, but then you have to do it for the other way too. It's a challenge but can be done.I had to leave it open a couple weeks as it was a big freakout for her, but she is a pretty fearful Feral

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Could you use a couple of layers of tape to lessen the strength of the magnet and make it easier for the cats to push the flap open? You'd have to experiment a bit to find the perfect number of layers.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a great idea. They already know how to get thru the dog door. It just lacks the magnet and is in pretty rough shape. Lots of gaps around the opening. I think I will get just the replacement door which is all I really need and try the tape.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could you cover the magnet with something so it doesn't latch when it it closed? Try aluminum foil.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to try something like duct tape on the magnet. I plan on picking up a replacement flap this week. Will post how it is working in case anyone else finds them self in this situation.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our outside/feral cats and kittens can go in the heated garage thru a dog pet door. The door got a lot of abuse when we had a dog. We no longer have one. There isn't much of the flap left. Magnet is totally gone. I need to replace either the flap or the entire door soon as winter is on our door step. Would a new dog door be too difficult for the cats to get open? Or should I go with a "cat door"? Prices are about the same.
I have a pet door ( had it for years but I'm pretty sure it was meant for dogs) going on to my screened porch. There's a magnet on the flap. I've ended up just leaving the flap off unless there's severe weather or the three days a year it gets really cold (I'm in Florida). Some cats are fine with pushing the door open, others just refuse to. It's partly my fault for giving in too easily and just opening the sliding door for them, but I can only lie on the floor for so long trying to teach the timid ones how to use it. Then there are the ones that try to pull the flap toward them rather than pushing through with their heads. So I gave up. I didn't realize there was such a thing as a cat door until your post.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having to figure it out is what it's all about!
I think the tape idea is great! you will figure it out as you go!!
Thanks for caring for your kitties!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The tape may just weaken the magnet, might want to try black tape or the duct tape might work too.
or like LTS3 mentioned a piece of foil under the tape!
good luck MacGyver!

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to try something like duct tape on the magnet. I plan on picking up a replacement flap this week. Will post how it is working in case anyone else finds them self in this situation.
I Googled "demagnitize magnet" and got this:

Demagnetize a Magnet by Heating or Hammering
If you heat a magnet past the temperature called the Curie point, the energy will free the magnetic dipoles from their ordered orientation. The long-range order is destroyed and the material will have little to no magnetization.Sep 5, 2019

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well the new flap is on. I did put some black tape on the magnet. The flap fits snugly all the way around. Some of the kitties are having no trouble with the new "door" but a couple are having a problem with it. They are used to something just hanging there and now they have to give it a good push. I hope they get it as one of the cats is a favorite of mine. I just hope she doesn't think she's being shut out and goes somewhere else. We are getting our first snowfall tonite. 6-8 inches. The garage is about 50-55 degrees. I want the kitties to be inside safe and sound and warm. I'll worry if they can't get in.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I did is put a tiny piece of rolled up paper towel and propped it open a tiny bit for the way in
the cat can get in but will have to figure out how to get out
You have multiple cats so this will only work for 1 cat, if you have 1 cat left out maybe this would work.
(because the paper towel falls down when coming in)
I hope they all get in!!!
Thanks for caring so much!!