Will bug spray harm my cats?

oreocat123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well i have two cats, and i'm going to be away from my house for two days more. And also i'm having my house sprayed by a bug spray today. I was wondering if it could affect my cats in any way?? They're staying in a room that will not be sprayed but could it reach them somehow?? " my sister checks them once a day so don't worry, i didn't leave them alone [emoji]128513[/emoji]"

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@oreocat123

Bug sprays are toxic to cats. Even if it has been sprayed few days ago. There are residue of the spray lingering on and your cat still can pick up the scent.
Even if they are kept in the room for now, eventually they have to come out of the room and wander to the place where the bug spray was sprayed.
Anyway, it's already sprayed and hope they won't go and lick and eat any food that get stained by the spray.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, we always make sure we hire someone who uses something that is guaranteed not to hurt humans or animals.  Our current pest control company said they could drink what they use and it wouldn't harm them.  However, most pesticide companies really only need to do the outside of your house and that takes care of it....no need to really come inside unless you are in an apartment and they aren't doing the entire building.  I can't remember the last time they actually came inside to spray... years, I think.  And we live in scorpion country.  Used to get them inside often...Believe me, I know because I've been stung twice and so has hubby, PLUS the cats went into hunt mode when we had them