Will be working at an adoption center, any precautions to take to minimize territorial issues that m

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey ya'll.

So probably around the end of the month I will be starting shifts at an adoption center 30 minutes away from me. I'm super excited, but I was wondering if there are any pre-cautions I should be taking so I do not upset my resident cat so much.

I'm still at that orientation phase so I'm not quite sure what I will be doing. I may just be doing design work/desk work, or may be working with the animals.

Some of the things I've thought about doing are using Feliway and Rescue Remedy (which I already have from the move.) I also plan to shower right away after I get home from my shift. Any other suggestions?

Much thanks.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, good for you.  Volunteers are always needed.

I take care of a feral cat colony and I volunteer at a cat sanctuary, and shared some of your concerns.  I scoop poop/pee a lot, an urine can get on my shoes.  And of course I pet and hug the cats and kittens.

Ritz was initially puzzled, bothered by the smells, as in, she wouldn't sit on my lap or walked away after she sniffed me.  She's become less sensitve to the strange smells.  But while I don't shower I do change my clothing.

By the way, I am around sick cats and cats who have tested positive with FIV/FELK.  I rinse my hands with the industrial grade antiseptic the cat sanctuary provides.  I never had any concern about any diseases I could possible transmit to Ritz.  The virus doesn't last outside the body for any length of time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input.

I've been planning out clothing for my shifts. I actually ordered a cheap pair of pants specifically for when I'll be working. Although I am not too worried about handling sick/FIV cats, I always carry a thing of hand sanitizer with me and I'm sure the adoption center will have sanitizing equipment/lotions/gels/whatever around me. 

My orientation is in 10 days or so, so I have a lot of time to prepare. 

I wish they made feliway-infused soap hahaha.