Will And How My Cats Can Get Use To Smells Of Trapped Tnr Cats?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is the background: because my house is centrally located to where the feral/stray cats will be trapped and then s/n; microchipped/vaccinated [TNR], I have volunteered my house for pre- and post-recovery placement. This is an ongoing program connected with a new community cat program in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Home - SAVECats
Thursday night I housed two trapped cats (they were hoping for five); and this coming Sunday, up to eleven trapped cats. Depending on weather and whether pre or post recovery, the cats will be kept in my unheated but attached garage or the back bedroom with doors closed. Ritz (older cat) was nonplussed about the smells (as she was when I fostered kittens). But Dahalia (younger cat, but bullies Ritz) was spooked: she ran back and forth to the garage in a crouching position. She was clearly uneasy, a little afraid. I have Feliway and am treating both with vet formulated homeopathic/holistic medicine. Can you suggest / recommend other ways to lessen the stress. Thanks.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, You are fantastic! Thank you for what you are doing.

Scent swapping may help. Bring a scent of the new cats to let Dahahia smell. Pet her and reassure her as you do this. It takes time. I have had quite a few come and go and some of mine were unaccepting at first. As the cats came and went they did get used to the changes. I’m assuming none of these cats will be there long term so maybe even just trying to block the scent would work. Stuffing towels under the door perhaps? I know Dahalia will still hear them though. You could let her see what is in there without exposing them to each other. She may just think you have invaders. If you held her to comfort her but let her get a glance it might work. She wouldn’t be curious and may decide to just stay away from that door. Honestly I think once she realizes they are not coming in she will calm down. Every cat adjusts at their own pace. Give her time. The Feliway does not always work. Sometimes I find a few cats really don’t like it. There is music online that seems to help calm some cats. You can also use things that just keep her away from the door to the garage. Lemon usually works well. Are the cats in the garage crying, running lose etc.? If they were just neutered then the hormone scent will still be strong for a little while but this will all diminish as the days go by. As the new kitties calm down, maybe Dahalia will too. I really think you don’t need to worry too much at this point. Just give Dahalia some distance from them and lots of reassurance you. She may be nervous but as long as she is eating, drinking, going potty and getting a calming vibe from you, she should settle back down. If , for any reason, she doesn’t then please post back. There are other things that can be tried. We’ll all be very interested I hearing how things go for you all. Bravo for doing this! We need many more people like you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, this is really helpful. The cats will remain at all times in their traps. When the two cats were in the garage pre surgery, I didn't hear anything; however, I think one cat tried to get out because the blanket fell off. I may be feeding them post-surgery. I have thought about opening the garage or bedroom door to let her see what she smells. When the cats were gone, she liked the tuna fish that dropped out of the traps :) She actually doesn't seem to like the smell of Feliway. Yes, my hope is that over time, once she realizes that the cats aren't coming out, she'll calm down.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is more than one version of Feliway. If she does not like that one, I’d consider removing it. Maybe it isn’t helping but if it does you can always put it back. Sounds like things will work out and she might like some tuna treats when you give those cats some. If she associates them with something good it might help. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put a pumpkin scented candle near the garage, where the cats stay for pre-and post-recovery. Dahalia was less stressed, she didn't do crouching/running thing as much, although she is reluctant to eat in the kitchen (kitchen is next to the garage). One of the trapped cats in this bunch of ten was quite vocal :( Ritz was a little alarmed by the crying cat, but ate and acted mostly normally. I'll be getting back the ten cats after s/n for a post-recovery stay overnight and will be feeding them in their traps. *That* should be interesting!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ritz ritz : just wanted to post and say "thanks" for your involvement in the TNR program in your area. Though they don't understand, I'm sure all those feral cats would thank you, if they could. :petcat:

Jcatbird Jcatbird : thanks for posting your tips/suggestions. :)

I'll be getting back the ten cats after s/n for a post-recovery stay overnight and will be feeding them in their traps. *That* should be interesting!
Let us know how it goes. Good luck. :crossfingers:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second what rubysmama rubysmama said. (Always happy to try and help) Thank you for being an important part of the TNR program! The kitties really need you.

The Pumpkin candle was a great idea!

When the kitties return they will probably be nervous once the anesthesia is out of their system. Usually I find that they are much quieter then. They’ll still have hormones in their system but maybe just being more docile will help. ;)