Will a female cat mate with a male she knows since a young age

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a female kitten and a male kitten, was wondering if she will eventually mate with him seeing as she is basicly with him since not long after her birth?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, any male will mate with any female if he is not neutered. You should also know that males can be fertile as young as 4 months, and females can get pregnant at about the same age or slightly older. If you're going to keep them together I would get the female spayed as soon as your vet will do it. You can get the boy neutered at the same time, but if you can't afford to do both at once get the female done first. Males still have hormones and sperm on board for several weeks after being neutered, so he could still get her pregnant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, any male will mate with any female if he is not neutered. You should also know that males can be fertile as young as 4 months, and females can get pregnant at about the same age or slightly older. If you're going to keep them together I would get the female spayed as soon as your vet will do it. You can get the boy neutered at the same time, but if you can't afford to do both at once get the female done first. Males still have hormones and sperm on board for several weeks after being neutered, so he could still get her pregnant.
Thanks I wanted to know because i want to have them spayed but not right now as they are very very young. Both 8 weeks but from different litters. I’ll have them both spayed Asap x

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Check with your vet. Some will spay/neuter at 2 months and 2 pounds, but that's more usual for ferals or shelter cats. Many vets want to wait until the kittens are at least 4 or 5 months old.

In the meantime, just keep an eye on them. If the boy starts exhibiting mating behaviors you may have to separate them until you can get them fixed.

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Check with your vet. Some will spay/neuter at 2 months and 2 pounds, but that's more usual for ferals or shelter cats. Many vets want to wait until the kittens are at least 4 or 5 months old.

In the meantime, just keep an eye on them. If the boy starts exhibiting mating behaviors you may have to separate them until you can get them fixed.
My vet won’t neuter them till they’re at least 4 months old, which is why I made this post to see if seperating them would be necessary if needs be. I wasn’t sure if they would mate together as they act like brother and sister always play fighting and grooming each other

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet won’t neuter them till they’re at least 4 months old, which is why I made this post to see if seperating them would be necessary if needs be. I wasn’t sure if they would mate together as they act like brother and sister always play fighting and grooming each other
My brother used to have littermates. When they were about four or five months old, I caught them in a mating position. My brother separated them until he could get the boy neutered.

Hormones seem to override everything else.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the time you start to notice "mating behavior," they may already have mated... so watching their behavior isn't a reliable birth control method. I personally know of several cases in which boy kittens have gotten their sisters pregnant at age 5 months, and even at 4 months, despite being watched over by experienced breeders. It's not common at 4-5 months, but does happen... so it's best to spay and neuter by 4 months if possible.

Last edited:

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By the time you start to notice "mating behavior," they may already have mated... so watching their behavior isn't a reliable birth control method. I personally know of several cases in which boy kittens have gotten their sisters pregnant at age 5 months, and even at 4 months, despite being watched over by experienced breeders. It's not common at 4-5 months, but does happen... so it's best to spay and neuter by 4 months if possible.
Yes I’m going to have them both neutered at 4 months. I know it takes a lot out of the females when they keep having kittens, my mum has a female cat when she got her she was told it was a male we didn’t know it was female till she was already pregnant! She ended up having 3 litters as each time it was safe to have her spayed it was too late and shed already gotten pregnant again. Had to keep her indoors for 4 weeks after the last litter to have her spayed