Wild And Wonderful Animal Rescue's Feral Cat Tails...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
We have been so busy! For those of you who don't follow our facebook page...
We were notified about a place.. we are currently calling it our Preston County Cat Crisis. We were told there was about 10 adult cats and several litters of kittens. We were finally able to go out to assess our Preston County Cat Crisis a few days ago. It's a really sad situation. The kittens were incredibly sick and malnourished. The older ones have traits of 8 week olds, but they are the size of 5 week olds. Eyes full of puss and matted shut. We made the decision to go ahead and pull all the kittens for their health. The older kittens will be going to The Foster Farm in Pittsburgh, the younger ones will be staying here as we treat them for their severe eye infections.
We went out again today and pulled one of the gray moms that looks like she may be pregnant again. While we were there we saw a couple that might be pregnant. And a big tom cat that had a huge gash in his neck
It is a mess.
IMG_8739.jpg
IMG_8742.jpg
IMG_8747.jpg
IMG_8755.jpg
IMG_8757.jpg
IMG_8761.jpg
IMG_8764.jpg
IMG_8769.jpg
IMG_8780.jpg
IMG_8787.jpg
IMG_8790.jpg
IMG_8797.jpg
IMG_8806.jpg
IMG_8808.jpg
IMG_8811.jpg
IMG_8813.jpg
IMG_8820.jpg
IMG_8839.jpg
IMG_8844.jpg

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Introduced the momma back with the two babies this morning, they instantly were all purring/grooming/nursing! It was so sweet! I really think this momma might be early on pregnant again... Not far enough along that I can feel babies yet... but I am just not sure. I was thinking about going ahead and spaying her? I can take the babies back to the bottle feeder for the day.. spaying wont effect her nursing would it? She has just had such crap nutrition :/
20180515_075328.jpg

Also Momma Mia and her babies are now in my bathroom! They are doing great! Mia is still "hiding" from me. But not hissing/swatting/spitting at me.
20180514_222730.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give this mama a few days with her babies first before spaying her. She should still be able to nurse them after spaying, but a few days or so to settle might be best. It should not affect a termination if she’s still early pregnant. Sigh ... so many decisions. I’m sorry!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, those poor little things! I'm so glad you got to them when you did.

I think a few days nursing her kittens won't make a great deal of difference if you have to spay abort anyway. Does your vet do a flank incision or an abdomen incision? Getting her spayed won't affect her milk yield, but her belly might be too sore to let the kittens nurse. A flank incision will make things easier for her.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SIGH...so very sad. It looks as if someone was doing their best for these poor babies, but without the knowledge or wherewithal to really do the necessaries. I'm so thankful that they are in your capable and VERY overworked hands now.

As for the possibly pregnant mama...If she is pregnant again, given her condition, and an abortion/spay is possible, yeah. Give it a few days, but...yeah. I hate to think of that poor little body trying to both "manufacture" a new litter and feed the current ones at the same time.

Great news on Mama Mia! Given her past behavior, not swatting is wonderful progress!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I read this entire thread today & I am speechless at the fantastic work you do, ashade1 ashade1 . Do you have a Clyde update? Will you leave Walter & Nemo with Clyde, or are you still thinking of taking them? Do you know what happened to the fat cats you got from the house of the woman who died, the one with the mama cat that had matted fur and was the fattest ever. She was too wild for you to take, but what about the other ones?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I have a sponsored spay appointment Friday... I think I am going to hold of on this momma and take a different one and try to get her an appointment next week.
Clyde was doing great, however he is now back at the hospital... we are hoping he gets to come back home soon. He is planning on willing the house to me when he passes so that we can ensure that the cats are being taken care of... my plan I think for then actually will be to close off his basement and bring them all inside and set up down there... Nemo and Walter are Clyde's favorites, they stay inside with him all day now. So I actually think I am going to let him keep them there until he passes, then we will try to rehome them together. If that isn't possible they will stay there with me and the others.
All of the senior fat cats found rescues! Even the wild one!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to hear Clyde is back in the hospital. Hopefully he'll get well enough to go back home again. It must be a relief for him, though, knowing you'll be there to care for his beloved cats once he's gone.

And, yes, unfortunately if he doesn't get the legalities worked out, family members could object to his plan to leave you the house. I hope he'll let them know his wishes, otherwise, they might still object, even with a will.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is planning on willing the house to me when he passes so that we can ensure that the cats are being taken care of... my plan I think for then actually will be to close off his basement and bring them all inside and set up down there...
I really hate hearing that Clyde is in the hospital again. Will pray for him. That said, others have given you the information that I would have about paperwork and such. Make sure that is done. I would LOVE to see Wild and Wonderful have a forever home. Maybe a little plaque at the entrance that says "Clyde's House."

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Clyde doesn't have any family, the only family he has is his late wife's son. But from what Clyde has said he supposedly doesn't want the house... We'll see. We are definitely trying to get everything legally worked out.
We have a spay appointment for one of the Preston County cats (the place we got the 12 sick babies and one mom from). I was debating taking the mom who is nursing the two kittens but I would like to give her a few more days- let the babies get a little bigger... I am definitely going to get her in next week because I was feeling her today and she definitely feels pregnant again.
We went back to Preston County to get another cat for the appointment. We got a semi feral pregnant tuxedo! There is another friendly gray mom who was nursing and might be pregnant again but I wanted to save the "easy catches" for our next spay trip on 6/4 when we need to catch several.
received_10216596790054935.jpeg

Glad we got this girl! Hopefully we can get ahead of the births here!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I also had a foster message me about taking in the momma and two babies! I need a name for momma. But yay! That means they will get to go to a home outside of a cage! I have them crated due to the amount of litters I have here and limited space.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good job! I just weep with happiness, knowing all these poor feral queens who will no longer have to scratch out a living for themselves and a litter of hungry babies!