Wild And Wonderful Animal Rescue's Feral Cat Tails...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Some updated pictures of Mia's babies! There are two runts that we are now helping feed since they are all wandering away from momma now! They are all a little sneezy/goopy eyes but we did have an issue with another litter having a viral thing and sneezing all over. Some kittens have more than one picture because they were being so stinking cute! They will be moving to my bathroom with a play pen soon. I figure they can have one of those covered soft sided play pens so that Mia feels safe in there.
IMG_8507.jpg
IMG_8510.jpg
IMG_8512.jpg
IMG_8530.jpg
IMG_8535.jpg
IMG_8542.jpg
IMG_8549.jpg
IMG_8557.jpg
IMG_8583.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Those little dilute torties are just to DIE FOR! Kittensmitten. It is only the terms of my lease and Hekitty's "Highlander" stance that keep me from being "that woman with all the cats." I do NOT say "crazy cat lady," because that is a state of mind having little to do with the actual number of cats, and I'M THERE!

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I have some amoxicillin on hand from when I took Emily and her litter to the vet. She gave us the antibiotics but wanted us to wait a week or so because she figured it was just viral and sure enough it cleared up! I am treating their eyes and if needed I can start on the amox. Mia no longer hisses, her eyes no longer go huge when I reach in the crate. I am hoping she comes around more when we move them from the crate to their new room.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good to hear that progress is being made with Miss Mia. I kinda think that you will see even more once she doesn't feel so trapped by the cage. Goodness knows, you had to, but it can't be pleasant for her! Trying to think like a cat here, but I'm not sure I have the intelligence for it.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Trapping day! Went back to our Park Colony Ferals.. the ferals at the beginning of this post!
We got Elise! The main mom... She is about 10. The caregiver says she is usually pregnant by this time of year but she isnt... so maybe she is done with breeding? She got attacked by something this past winter.. she is holding her mouth oddly. I am wondering if she has an abscess in her mouth. I am going to request an antibiotic injection.
IMG_8694.jpg

Next up is one of our big fighting Toms! I asked the caregiver for his name because I cant remember it. He has a HUGE scar on his forehead. Many battlescars.
IMG_8684.jpg

Lastly we have this young guy or gal. This is one of the older kittens from the litter that I never saw last year... when I started working with this colony they were too old and I never got to see them... We got it's sibling fixed a few weeks ago, a girl. This one looks a lot like Ghost.
IMG_8681.jpg

We have also got a tuxedo kitten from another colony that we are hoping to socialize... headed back out to try to catch a couple more for tomorrow! Fingers crossed!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Great job! I don't know if cats have the human equivalent of menopause...I do remember that @alexp08's mom's cat was 13 years old when she had Jasper.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my. What a DAY! So we took 16 total cats. 5 ferals. We caught another tuxedo from our Alley Cat Colony... this was where we were trapping feral tuxedo kittens before.
We ended up with three girls, two boys! One of the boys was the big solid gray tom with the huge scar on his forehead, the other boy was the 4 month old kitten, I didn't get a picture, but the person who caught him has been working on socializing and he is already sweet- yay!
The girls- shew!
We will start with Elise, our 10 year old brown tabby. When I dropped her off I mentioned her mouth. I told them I wanted them to look at it and maybe get an antibiotic shot if it was an abscess making her hold it that way. The lady said that if it has been that way this long (since Decemberish) then it probably wasn't an abscess and it was probably a broken jaw. I was worried all day. I had decided that she has lived this long with it that if that was the case we would still plan on TNRing her. Turns out- not broken! Yay! She is missing several teeth, which is why I guess her tongue just flops out now? They did say her uterus was a MESS. Full of cysts and if we hadn't gotten her when we did it more than likely would have ruptured and killed her. That is what having litter after litter after litter for 10 years does!
The other two females- light gray also came from Park Colony, tux from Alley Cat colony, BOTH were pregnant! Goodness! Got them right in time! I would have never guessed from looking at them! What a relief! Two less litters to be chasing in a couple of months! I really need to get back on these colonies... I had taken a few weeks away because of all the kittens we have... we are going to need to get back to balancing both before we are overrun with kittens at our colonies!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Also all of the kittens in my bathroom were spayed/neutered on this trip as well, so tomorrow we are meeting with their adopters then we will be sanitizing everything and moving Mia and her crew into there!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, you've been busy! So, all that was wrong with Elsie was a few missing teeth? One of my cats leaves his tongue out all the time too. He had to have a tooth removed today.

:frown:

I'm glad that big grey boys fighting days are over.

Great news about all the kittens too.

:goldstar:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a orange tabby feral tom cat with it's tongue out all the time too. I bet that is why.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you've been busy! So, all that was wrong with Elsie was a few missing teeth?
Well her teeth and her disaster of a uterus! She's the oldest gal at this colony, I am sure she is glad to be home! Everyone (except the tux kitten) went back to their colonies today!
The caregiver at the park colony said we have one girl left there, a tortie that he said just started showing up a few weeks ago. He thinks someone dumped her there, I haven't seen her yet. Then we definitely have 3 more Toms to do there.
I am so glad we got the other two girls when we did! When the lady at the clinic said they were both pregnant, I could feel my future self being less stressed about not having to chase those two litters of kittens. They must have not been too far along because I didn't notice that they were pregnant when I trapped them.
No rest for the weary!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent news about all! Good luck grabbing that tortie. If the poor thing was dumped (WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS???), there is an outside chance that she is spayed, although...if they don't care enough not to dump her, would they care enough to spay in the first place?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rubysmama suggested I read your Thread. Now I know why! Fantastic job! I have been doing rescues as well and I was sent here to be inspired and find renewed energy. I did! The first headcount here was 76. The kitties were being chased by ATVs , hurt and killed. It was something I had to do even though I am limited by physical issues and resources. I am finally down to the last of the ferals here but they are proving elusive. I read the info here on trapping and it was helpful. I have gotten all of the kitties except two by hand. Lol I know..... the hard way! I had never trapped anything before but I am learning about it. I am also socializing all I can for adoption. 39 have been adopted and 5 more are up for adoption at a shelter but I still have more to go. I wish I could have a shelter on my land but it isn’t a safe place. I am constantly on the lookout for places for the kitties to go. I already had way too many of my own from a previous colony I had pulled in. I have a few that may be too feral for adoption. I worry about them the most. I don’t know where you live but here there is a program funded by a grant through Petco that helps Spay/Neuter and rabies for ferals, barn cats etc.. Don’t know if that might help you but if you want to see if your area has it check your county animal shelter. I also got some help for cat supplies by calling the companies I buy from. Maybe you already have support but if not it is worth a call. You certainly have all the moral support I can offer! The posts here and your experiences are amazing! I very much needed to see all you have accomplished. Thank you for helping so many! I did just get a black kitten named Cordial adopted out so maybe your kittens will find a family too! Good luck with all you are doing and I send you tons of good wishes. I will be checking back so please keep posting.