Wild And Wonderful Animal Rescue's Feral Cat Tails...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness you guys. What an EXHAUSTING day. I am back at work now running on two hours of sleep. We got three ferals into the feral sanctuary and let me tell you that place is GORGEOUS. I am so jealous. Lots of land with a lot of outbuildings, screened in so the new cats can acclimate. There is a little stream that goes through the property. It is beautiful. We picked up our friendly kittens, unfortunately the mom with 7 3 week olds that we were picking up lost one of the kittens so she only has 6 babies now. Probably because 7 was too many for her to feed, she is a little girl.
When we finally got home and I was settling everyone in I noticed that Mia is starting to calm down and was not hissing and spitting at me like she was this morning. So maybe tomorrow I will be able to get everyone out and switch out her bedding and clean the cage... maybe. She allowed me to get in the cage and give her a dish of KMR and some kitten food which was progress from this morning. She didn't even want me looking in lol
Tomorrow I am going to set up the new kitten cam so I can watch while I am away. I was going to today but I was just way too tired lol

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Momma Mia still is not letting me reach in towards her babies. I might have to get some gloves to get their box cleaned out. I am worried because I havent been able to weigh/supplement them but they all seem to be doing great! Here are a couple of pictures I was able to get!
IMG_7755.jpg
IMG_7710.jpg

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I had layered the bedding but I am worried about just yanking off the top layer with mom and 7 babies on top.. I think I am going to get gloves, prepare another box and move them over one at a time (weighing in between) then hopefully she will move to the other box and I will just take the old one out. This sounds like a good idea in theory anyway lol.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Lol I think after I took the one baby out the one day she will not let me touch anything inside of the box without lunging so I think even doing it slowly would result in my arm being shredded lol she is in protective mom mode. I am working overtime today but I have this weekend off so I am going to try to clean it out either tonight or tomorrow!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I had a feral kitty with babies, I would use a tray or something as a shield so I could grab a kitten without being mauled. Her kittens were older though.
Now, there's a good idea! Or even get a piece of Plexiglas cut to fit into the crates. That shouldn't be expensive, and would allow you to see what you are doing. You might even be able to glue a drawer pull on to one side so that you could hold it with one hand and fish out kittens with the other.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so I must be lucky today! I went back and she was taking a break and over by the food bowl. Obviously she froze when I walked in so I took advantage to get into the crate and take the whole nesting box out! While I had them out of the crate I weighed them, took pictures, and cleaned out their nesting box and then finished cleaning the crate! Yay! Here are weights. Day 3.5 D tortie 163g, black 1 163, tux 1 177, black 2 169 (already has one eye open!), tux 2 164, torti 2 149, tux 3 143. All seem to be doing well for only three days and not knowing their birth weights! Will post pics in a second, in order! It looks like all but the dilute torties are male!