Wife getting tired of cats

konstargirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

You will not like my answer, but this is how I strongly feel. The cats were in your home BEFORE your child and are just as important. You decided to live with a cat and the cat is NOT a disposable item, just because you have a child. You are now responsible for your child's care AND your cat. However, if you find a HOME, not a shelter, where your cats will be loved as much as or more than, what you have been providing, then ok. However, your cat should not be dumped at a shelter, because you have a child. An animal is not a disposable item.
I so agree with you on that. Well said.

Your pets are not toys. They are a life commitment.

Any excuse you make on why you want have to get rid of an animal is no excuse at all except if the animal is really sick.. putting it to sleep is an option and I think thats the only good excuse.

my_mittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think everyone scared him away.

I volunteer at an animal shelter and it is really sad to see so many wonderful cats being surrendered for the reason of having a new baby. If I ever have children one day, the ONLY way I would EVER consider re-homing any of my pets is if my child were deathly allergic and there were absolutely no alternatives. When you got your pets, you made a commitment to them, and the most kind and responsible thing to do is be patient and work through any issues that may come up. They offer such amazing companionship, it's the least we, as their guardians, can do.

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FetzCatz

honestly, if we are ever blessed with the chance to become pregnant again, all of my animals will be finding temporary homes elsewhere.... i love them to death but after having a Stillborn child, i know what i will be focused on during and after pregnancy..... how my cats or dog may react to having a new baby around will be the last thing i want to deal with. so for me, taking them out of the equation for a while will be best..... and of course, the new home wont be forever, they will be with family or a close friend for a year or so and we will take our child for visits so that they "know" who the child is in a way..... when the time is right they will come back to live with us...

perhaps you could give your wife a break for a couple weeks.... have a friend or someone take the cats for you and let her get herself settled.... bringing home a new baby is very stressful in itself and maybe the cats wanting attention too is just too much for her to handle right now? get them out of the picture temporarily, let her catch her breath and then bring them home again.
hmm, because there is just an overabundance of people willing to temporarily take on someone else pets for a year while they have a child. I'd suggest you just rehome them all right now and probably think twice about having pets in the future.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd add a couple things:

1. Find a good littermat (I use the blue plastic rubbery-feeling type) and put it in front of the box...if you can get a high-sided or covered box, all the better.

2. For the hair, find some time to brush the cats every day or every-other day..I use a kong zoom groom for this...it "grabs" the hair via static and the hair clings to it. It greatly reduces shedding. This will also give your cats some attention.

3. You could switch them to partially dry food...and use a food dispesor ball..I've used 2 different types...both with success. You measure out the amount of food and let the cats roll it around to earn their food. It provides some mental stimulation for them.

4. You and your wife are partners in this and you both have a say..I would make sure that you emphasize to her that you are willing to help out in any way and that you want to wait a few months to make any hard decisions on this...that will give you time to adjust and get into your new routine and for the cats to settle down. If you DO decide that the cats just aren't compatible with your family after that period, make sure you find a good home for them with someone you know (I found a home for a kitten that I fostered via putting up a flyer at my church...got a great home in less than 1 week).

Good luck!

Artgecko

melorix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with what everyone has said so far as far as the cats not being disposable items, but household family members who deserve to be treated as such. While doing research before adopting my kitty, I came across a website that estimated 90% of shelter cats are in there due to circumstances that were either not entirely the cat's fault or due to minor behavior issues that could be solved with some time and work. Do you really want to add to that number?

On the gentler side, you are both probably exhausted and stressed. I hear new babies are a massive amount of work (I wouldn't know, no kids of my own). However, your cats still deserve your love and attention, even with a new baby in the house. They're probably bewildered by this noisy, weird-smelling creature that suddenly takes your attention away from them. Spend some time with them to let them know you still care and love them.

I would suggest, if your wife is absolutely obstinate, perhaps finding them a temporary home with a family member or trusted friend. I don't endorse this option at all, but it's just a suggestion if your wife is really stubborn about not wanting the cats in the house. Once the hormones settle, she will probably change her mind.

Best of luck to you both, and congratulations on your little one.

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had my oldest cat before I had my husband or either of my two children. My husband actually complains about the cats too - he doesn't like the fact that they will occasionally get on the counters since they also walk in their litter. Good grief! He also doesn't like the shedding. However, he knows that I will put HIM out before I do the cats, so he deals with it.

If you love your cats...which you must in order to be a member of a CAT forum and all (I mean, most people who don't care about cats don't join a forum specifically related to cats)...then let your wife know that you feel the obligation to keep them for the duration of their lives. Ask her what you can do to make it more bearable for her and then do it.

I second all that has been said - particularly a litter mat, hooded litter box, cordless vac beside the litter box to pick up anything that gets tracked out, and dry food offered constantly from a free feeder. My cats graze all day on Authority Hairball dry food and then my oldest cat (who has no teeth due to a mouth condition) splits a can of wet food in the morning with my outside cats (Blue takes his portion first and the other cats split what is left since they dont' really NEED the wet food). In the evening, my oldest cat and the other indoor cats get to split a can. In all, none of them get a huge amount of wet food other than Blue (again, because of his teeth) and even he will get up and wallow some kibbles in his mouth occasionally.

I hope this helps and I hope you can find a way to keep your kitties...and keep your wife happy.

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You may want to keep a small inexpensive dustbuster next to the litterbox. Zip zip, all the litter on the floor is gone.

My daughter was born into a household of 2 dogs, 2 birds and a cat. It was how she learned to love animals and that they are a member of the family, just like she is. She now has her own little Maltese, and from growing up with animals she knows how to care for pets, and what the responsibility is.

A covered litter pan is a great thing, and know this too...my daughter, and my oldest son, as toddlers, ate dog and cat food. I have a picture somewhere of my daughter with her face in my dobe's bowl, with the dobe (full grown intact male) sitting and waiting for her to have hers first.
(It was kibble, so she didn't like it enough to want it instead of people food) She grew up just fine. Also, studies show that children raised with pets have far less allergies and health problems than kids raised in petless homes. Their immune systems develop better, than the child kept in a pristinely clean home, and never exposed to any allergens or dirt.
None of my kids have had allergies, asthma, or illnesses that they didn't catch from the kids at school. My house is filled with kids and pets and probably what would be considered yucky stuff (hair tumbleweeds, and muddy paw prints) but we're healthy and have these wonderful family members to add richness to our lives!

I hope your wife sees the value in raising your new child with your cats. There is no substitute for furry or feathered brothers or sisters!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope munkyleon comes back to see all this advice!

I keep a dustbuster by the litterbox too, it makes it really nice to clean up that tracked litter. And I agree with resqchick about kids growing up with animals... I don't have human kids myself, so it's easy for me to say, but I think all kids should grow up with pets. They are great for teaching respect, responsibility, and unconditional love.

We always had dogs growing up, even though my dad was allergic. I'm the third of seven kids and we had dogs from the earliest time I can remember.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of good advice here.

My son and DIL have 2 cats. Then last Aug. 9 they had triplet girls. If they can handle 3 babies at once with 2 resident cats, then I don't see a huge issue here. The girls just turned 1 yesterday. They aren't walking yet, but they are crawling and they love to chase the kitties! Kitties always win, lol!