Why?

Hound156

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a kitten that was a source of great joy for months until he started to get sickly. He stopped playing, basically slept all the time. Developed minor obsessive behavior, like sleeping in the same spot for two weeks or so until he switched to a new one and scratching himself whenever he was nervous to the point where he had scabs all over the area he scratched. He still ate and drank water but displayed no curiosity at all. He'd only respond to attention on occasion but you'd feel so lucky when he did.

This was when he was around 4 or 5 months old. He was diagnosed with feline hip dysplasia and his reluctance to move was attributed to that. I made him makeshift stairs everywhere to facilitate movement and take as much strain as possible off his legs. Shortly afterwards, he was also diagnosed with anemia. He was 10 months old, skin and bone, and the size of a kitten half his age. He was on a lot of medication to try and get him back on his feet and he was improving but very, very slowly. So much so that the slightest sign of interest in anything was great news. One evening, his breathing became insanely labored. I stayed up all night with him. He couldn't be left alone for a second. It seemed he was in horrible pain from his legs. He was breathing rapidly, then he'd scream and try to drag himself forwards to readjust them. I figured out how he liked them to be and whenever this would happen, I'd move him myself. It was a very long night until his vet was available in the morning (there are no vets available at night where I live). Turns out that he had wet FIP. The vet gave him medicine and said he needed to be on a drip. Back home, he started to have seizures. His breathing got very slightly better when his medicine kicked in, but the seizures continued, I assume from lack of oxygen to his brain, which probably led to nerve damage as he later started twitching very badly. By the time this was happening, there were no longer any vets available. He passed that same night. I have been reading up on wet FIP and can't seem to understand exactly what happened. My understanding is that he drowned on his own fluids. Slowly. The knowledge that this tiny baby that was once so playful and full of life died so horribly and suffered so much is destroying me. The guilt I feel over not having put him down that morning is just...

I thought he could make it. I had so much hope for him. I talked to him about how I knew he was in pain but the medicine would make it go away and that soon he'd be healthy and grow up to be happy and big and fat and that I'd make it all up to him. None of that happened. It's been two and a half weeks and I've been unable to even think about it, let alone process it. So much guilt, regret, and sadness over him never getting to enjoy himself and having a happy life. He was such a little ray of sunshine before he got sick. I find myself unable to cope.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello.
What a horrible awful disease.
I'm so incredibly glad your baby had you there with him.

RIP darling baby, your grace and joy have been returned to you. You will meet your loving person at The Rainbow Bridge :rbheart:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so so sad to hear this, no one knows why these awful things happen, you did all that you could and did the best you could, I am so sorry that you lost your little friend in such a horrible way, but he is fine now just fine, happy and healthy and no more pain or sickness, and when you see him again one day down the line you will know that while his Earthly body was weak his Heavenly body is strong, and he is waiting there and will say "thank you for helping me down there".

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

He is fine now, it is you who is hurting and we all understand how you feel. I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cry because he was taken so terribly soon, that it was unfair and he in no way deserved what he went through. But then I rejoice that he had you.Such an incredibly short time of life and happiness, and much of it spent in pain and despair.
I will never understand why things like this happen, Why such horrible diseases are even present in our world. It is one of the mysteries of life and there will never be a acceptable explanation.
You were there for him. You did all that could be done and much more than most. You gave comfort and hope, you loved him and that is all he ever wanted. He was in your life for such a short while, but your souls will be eternally intertwined, and he left a mark on your world that will be with you for the rest of your own life. Right now you are shattered, you are grieving and you don't understand how it could turn out this way. There are questions that may never be answered, there is pain that will always be near. But try to hold on to that little while when he was happy, when he was the kitten he was meant to be.Because that is what he wants for the one he loves so much. The one that loves him so much too. Don't let his death be more important than his short little life.He deserves more than that. Don't let death mar what you had with him, don't let death win. "Death cannot take that which never dies" and your love is eternal. Use the bond of love you built to keep his memory near, to keep his memory alive. You know, just as you would want if you were the first to go, he wants you to seek happiness and love again. To send his way thoughts of sunshine and joy, to let the love you shared bloom and grow until you are ready to pass on his legacy that he so lovingly left you to another. to rest side by side with his in your heart. Do not send him tears and darkness, he would never want someone he loves so much to go on that way.
We are here to listen, to share your burden of grief, to help you cope with learning a new life's order. There are no shortcuts, there is no cure for a broken heart. Only time helps to soften the pain, to help us get on with life as our loved ones would want. To learn to live with the unacceptable, and to carry then forward with us in loving hearts that will love forever. Take care.....RIP precious baby boy. You will never be forgotten, you were a ray of sunshine in a person's world for such a short while. I know the good Lord will bless and keep you until you meet again, because you were so very loved!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Little One, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

FIP is a filthy, viscious disease. I am so, so sorry. But your little boy has put off his coat of flesh that could no longer support his loving heart and blythe spirit. He dances on moonlight now, rejoicing in his freedome, still near you, still loving. One day, in the fullness of time, you, too, will put off your own coat of flesh and dance with him. Until then, know that his love is not gone, only his tiny body. He is with you still, his only sorrow is your grief.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a kitten that was a source of great joy for months until he started to get sickly. He stopped playing, basically slept all the time. Developed minor obsessive behavior, like sleeping in the same spot for two weeks or so until he switched to a new one and scratching himself whenever he was nervous to the point where he had scabs all over the area he scratched. He still ate and drank water but displayed no curiosity at all. He'd only respond to attention on occasion but you'd feel so lucky when he did.

This was when he was around 4 or 5 months old. He was diagnosed with feline hip dysplasia and his reluctance to move was attributed to that. I made him makeshift stairs everywhere to facilitate movement and take as much strain as possible off his legs. Shortly afterwards, he was also diagnosed with anemia. He was 10 months old, skin and bone, and the size of a kitten half his age. He was on a lot of medication to try and get him back on his feet and he was improving but very, very slowly. So much so that the slightest sign of interest in anything was great news. One evening, his breathing became insanely labored. I stayed up all night with him. He couldn't be left alone for a second. It seemed he was in horrible pain from his legs. He was breathing rapidly, then he'd scream and try to drag himself forwards to readjust them. I figured out how he liked them to be and whenever this would happen, I'd move him myself. It was a very long night until his vet was available in the morning (there are no vets available at night where I live). Turns out that he had wet FIP. The vet gave him medicine and said he needed to be on a drip. Back home, he started to have seizures. His breathing got very slightly better when his medicine kicked in, but the seizures continued, I assume from lack of oxygen to his brain, which probably led to nerve damage as he later started twitching very badly. By the time this was happening, there were no longer any vets available. He passed that same night. I have been reading up on wet FIP and can't seem to understand exactly what happened. My understanding is that he drowned on his own fluids. Slowly. The knowledge that this tiny baby that was once so playful and full of life died so horribly and suffered so much is destroying me. The guilt I feel over not having put him down that morning is just...

I thought he could make it. I had so much hope for him. I talked to him about how I knew he was in pain but the medicine would make it go away and that soon he'd be healthy and grow up to be happy and big and fat and that I'd make it all up to him. None of that happened. It's been two and a half weeks and I've been unable to even think about it, let alone process it. So much guilt, regret, and sadness over him never getting to enjoy himself and having a happy life. He was such a little ray of sunshine before he got sick. I find myself unable to cope.
H Hound156 My heartfelt condolences for your loss! I, too have lost beloved ones to FIP, so I do have some idea of your anguish.
My cherished Sunny was diagnosed with dry-form FIP at around 2 and lived, with regular checkups and considerable drug and vitamin support, to be almost 16, which is not a bad age at all. Still, I was and will always be filled with rage at the scourge of FIP. I believe no cat should ever have this or any other pain -- cats are so unconditionally loyal and loving, after all!
Some years after losing our beloved Sun, we adopted a young girl kitten some neighbors had found in a junk-food parking lot. They loved her but didn't have a lot of money to care for her and since we were in a better position to do so, I offered to adopt her. We took her in for her checkup and innoculations. All seemed well. She was a bouncy, happy little girl.
That changed overnight.
In no time, she developed all the signs of wet-form FIP. We planned to take her in in the morning, but she passed during the night. I was inconsolable. Back then, I believed I had no choice but to get any cat in my care the vax for FIP, which was given as nose drops. She was fine before she got these. Afterwards, she was sick and then gone. She was, I would estimate, barely 3 months old. I have never gotten this vax again.
FIP is a terrible destroyer. There are no words to change that.
But may you know that your little man knew he was loved. Don't beat yourself up more than you naturally have to. In this harsh world, some of any species are just born not very strong. We cannot change this. What we can do is love them and care for them. You have certainly done that. Hold him in your heart. You WILL meet again.

GhostieCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just reading the early signs brought me back to when my baby ghost got that disgusting disease. She had the dry form and it had destroyed her liver in a little over two weeks. We only had her for a week after her diagnosis. All said and done she lived a bit over a year. FIP is a traumatic illness that colors your whole idea of the world. You rarely even get time to process the diagnosis before they deteriorate to where you have to end their suffering.

My utmost condolences. FIP babies are special, because they left so suddenly, but they will always remain in a part of your heart and in your memories.

I'm so so sorry.