Why Would She Stop...

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No she didnt. It will always be a mystery. I hope Feeby will get back to her usual self soon. Its so frustrating and upsetting when they change their routine and we cant find an answer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No she didnt. It will always be a mystery. I hope Feeby will get back to her usual self soon. Its so frustrating and upsetting when they change their routine and we cant find an answer.
I am so sorry she didn't. I guess some things just don't have answers, as much as we want them too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Test night 6 - As usual, Feeby was in the recliner with me during the evening, I got up to go to bed, told her it was bed time, she jumped down and got her midnight snack, and I was like: :crossfingers:

I went to bed - she never showed up, and was still in the recliner when my husband got up to get ready for work. Before he left he picked her up and put her on the bed, she immediately jumped down. She came back a little later and took a little mini-nap on his side of the bed, but later left and hung out in her usual spot in the living room until I got up.

It is colder here today and rainy, but I still went to sit for a while on the patio. She followed me out and then jumped up on my lap for warmth. :stars:

Will continue this 'test' for a while longer before I decide what I will do long term about her bedtime routine that is now on-n-off. :argh:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it is personal and I hesitate to write it, but if I were you, I would actually do some health check up myself, with some blood tests etc, just to rule out any human health issues that she is able to feel? But I am probably trusting the cat's instinct too much :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know it is personal and I hesitate to write it, but if I were you, I would actually do some health check up myself, with some blood tests etc, just to rule out any human health issues that she is able to feel? But I am probably trusting the cat's instinct too much :)
Hey, you never know... She didn't seem to pick up on my husband's cancer, or not as far as we know. But, then she is closer to me than she is him - and, that was a lot of years ago.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, after a week of 'testing' (with 2-3 previous weeks of not charting her behavior), here is where we stand:

Night 1 - Stayed on the recliner for a while after I went to bed, but showed up a little later, jumped into bed and slept by my head
Night 2 - Stayed on the recliner all night, but on the living room carpet when I got up
Night 3 - Stayed on the recliner all night, but came to bed on my husband's side right after he left for work and stayed with me until I got up
Night 4 - Same as Night 3
Night 5 - Left the recliner when I did, came to bed and slept by my head (just like the old years-long routine)
Night 6 - Stayed on the recliner all night, but came to bed after my husband left for work; slept on his side of the bed for about an hour and then left me; was on the living room floor when I got up
Night 7 - Stayed on the recliner all night, but my husband put her on the bed before he left for work and she slept by my head until I got up

So, the only pattern I see is NO pattern... well, other than the recliner part, that is.:drool:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a thought, has anything changed temperature wise. One of mine,Kiwi, sleeps on my bed when its cold but sleeps on the top of the stairs when its warmer.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For the past month, we have been all over the map - one day cold (well, for us Floridians anyway), the next day or two warmer, repeat, repeat, repeat. Last night was the coldest we have had in a few days, and you can see that didn't mean much since she didn't come to bed until nearly morning. Although, I have to admit we hit our lowest temp around 6-7 am, so.... But, that didn't seem to use to matter to her in years' past.

Dang it - now I have got to consider another factor into my test equation!! Lol. :thud:

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you get old you get cold easier, just like with the little ones. It ain't fair, but little is.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Night 8 - Feeby slept on the recliner all night long, only got down in the morning to eat/drink when my husband got up. Then, she came to bed, to again sleep on my husband's side of the bed. I did raise the covers, and she crawled under them to sleep next to my leg. Sometimes she will go under the covers, and other times not. This is the first morning of the test that I even offered that option to her.

So, keep on charting her behavior? Or, just quit and let it go? Or, start picking her up and taking her to bed? Just curious about opinions...

The only times since she stopped going to bed with me that I picked her up to take her to bed was when she would leave the recliner and lay on the living room floor near the bedroom door. Once she started sleeping all night on the recliner, I kind of thought it best to leave her there. I swear she figured that out and that is why she no longer goes on the floor before I go to bed!! :dizzy:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a hard decision to make. I can imagine the temptation to pick her up and take her to bed with you but they do say never force a cat to do something, let them make their own mind up.
In your position I would take her to bed with me for a few days and see if she stays. If she doesn't then leave her on the recliner and see what happens. You know her well so do what feels right to you.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course keep charting her behavior. Charts are fun!!! You can get special lined paper, and make graphs, and spread sheets....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Earth, Moon, and Sun must have collided (no, not an eclipse)!!!

Night 9: Feeby followed me to bed!!! So, she is on a 4 night cycle, I guess...(Night 1, Night 5, and now Night 9, of my brief test.)

However, she does have an EVERY night cycle on the recliner before she decides whether or not to come to bed. First ON my legs, and then beside me:

20190215_225159.jpg
20190215_231540.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe the answer is for you to sleep all night on the recliner. Is that what Feeby is trying to tell you.
Maybe she doesn't like the small area she is allotted on the bed, because she also tries to squeeze me out of space there too, so by morning I'm stuck with this tiny area between her and my husband.

While it may have taken years for her to figure it out, perhaps now she thinks if she s-p-r-e-a-d-s out on the recliner that I will eventually get up and leave (even though that is not the reason, but she wouldn't know) - and voila: "Now, I have the WHOLE thing to myself. Aaaahh…" :woohoo:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
on the cat bed front. I saw one at the grocery - it was faux leopard fur - reminded me of the Dylan song 'in her leopard skin pillbox hat" - it was actually soft on the part kit would sleep on -- it's amazing how often only the sides are soft and not the bottom. I bought it. It filled up the top of the grocery cart. It seemed huge.

I got it home. Ran it through the washer to get grocery store and stranger scents off of it. It dried. I put it down. Think of the appalled focus and flight from any horror movie and you've got the reaction. Today Sweet Gum is willing to go into the same room with it.

If you want to push the issue, you could buy a nice cat bed and put it in the recliner when you get up to go to bed. Feeby might beat you to the bed.