Why Some People Think Cats Are Unfriendly

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fairly interesting read.

I do find it interesting the sheer number of people who just have never bonded with a cat and have the perception that they are unfriendly or aloof. A lot of my co-workers say they aren't cat people because cats are (mean, unfriendly, standoffish, weird, etc). But then I start telling stories of my cats antics and personality and they are amazed. Those same people coming to my home wouldn't see the same cat though because they are strangers and the cats pull back from them. Rocket is a prime example of being an absolute love to me but she will stare at strangers until they are uncomfortable with her giant unblinking stare.

IMG_20190930_193331.jpg

It's kind of funny but I think rabbits, rats, even turtle and reptiles have the same kind of distant viewpoint from people that haven't had them. Dogs just have evolved so closely with humans there is almost an engrained relationship with them.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of people I've come across who don't like cats have mostly all said that's because of a bad encounter they had with one as a child. Meanwhile, I was scratched a lot by my godmother's cat as a child because she seemed to take a random dislike to me whenever I went to visit her (perhaps it was because I was a young child at the time and quite lively) but now I'm the owner of two cats and a certified crazy cat lady, so I don't really buy that excuse lol.
I think cats have always had a reputation of being more selfish and antisocial than dogs; and a lot of people still sadly don't give them a chance. Cats are, as I'm sure we all know here, very loving and sociable and can act like dogs around their humans! :)

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes aliceneko I think a lot of people who dislike cats had a bad experience.

I think also it's because they only have experience with cats that are strangers to them, and cats generally dont let their personalities shine through as much around strangers as dogs do... dogs bound up to strangers wagging their tails and a cat would normally hide or warily approach them. It's when you live with cats and really get to know them you see the personality so I think it can give a wrong impression

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always had cat's growing up but my kids had dog's. My youngest son said he didn't like cat's he just didn't know them.
I didnt have cats when I was younger and I didnt really care either way about them... it wasnt until I got to know some of my freind cats and then got my own that I fell in love too.

My boyfreind, like your son, didn't care about cats either and was a "dog person" until he met my Grey cat and now he totally loves them... to know a cat is to love them :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
People who dislike cats do so for a number of reasons.

Superstition
1. They only come out at night.
2. They are associated with Satan and witchcraft (familiars)
3. Cats are not in the Bible
4. Cats can raise the dead
5. Cats suck the breath out of babies

The truly needy
They don't love me like a dog does!

And then there is the ignorant.
I never met a cat in my life, but I still hate them.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really!

The BBC writing about cats being unfriendly and showing little emotion.

The irony.

The article could have just as easily been...."Why do we think Brits are unfriendly".... :lol:

And yes Im British. Born in London England.

In my day its was almost impolite to show emotions.......any emotions.

"Keep a stiff upper lip....old chap"

Good or bad, happy or sad........keep that lip stiff.

And never show affection publicly, its just darn rude.

To this day I still hear people say I dont smile enough.

And the Brits think cats are unfriendly.

And heck........ cats didnt try to colonize half the world....... now thats unfriendly.

Now remember, I am British....this is British humor. ....just a Brit trying to be friendly.....perhaps we are miss understood as well.;)

Below is a picture of greg and arnold showing "British" hospitality (devoid of emotion), while waiting for tea to be served.
20191021_191726-1.jpg

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, people who say they don't like cats are people who have never owned or had a personal relationship with a cat in their life.

These are also people who like dogs and don't mind said dog tracking poop through the house and on their furniture (seriously, some of the things I've seen dog people tolerate is mind blowing).

It really depends on the individual personality of the animal rather than their species. I can like a cat and not like a cat, or like a dog and not like a dog based on their personality... not their species itself. A dog can be polite and respectful - they can be the opposite as well, same with cats.

ALSO, why is it that when a dog who is unsure of a person becomes standoffish or aggressive it isn't weird but when a person goes into a cats territory (their home) it's seen as weird the cat is standoffish? It is basically the same thing with the dog, just in a different setting.

"Aw, doggie!! Don't be afraid of me!!" *Continues to approach said dog with high pitch voice and whaling arms.

"Lol, your cat is so mean?" *Walks away and forever has a negative view of cats*

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I had cats when I was a kid but they were never close to me, just pets that came home when hungry and slept when their stomachs were full. Nevertheless, I loved them and was devastated when one of then got hit by a car and died in front of me, thus further traumatizing me. I thought that cats should not be kept strictly indoors, because that was what my childhood cats lived their lives. They were mostly out of the house, so there was no time to emotionally bond further with them.

Fast forward and I had met my Bourbon - the cat I have deeply bonded with. She is a snob to others but is very affectionate to me. And all my cats are strictly indoors. Can't risk having them ran by a car again, just like my old cat.