Why should I neuter my cat?

aethyrwolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand if the cat is out impregnating females or even spraying.. But My cat does neither, he doesn't even go after females anymore. Neither does he try to hump my blanket or even try to leave the house. He does not spray or scratch the furniture, Smokey is a very well behaved old cat.He does however like to hump the neighbors neutered cat, can hardly understand why due to their cat being a herm.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If there is a possibility that your cat can ever get outside he will be able to  still procreate and since he is humping a neutered cat he is clearly still able to do it. There are countless cats killed everyday in shelters and contributing to the homeless cat population is pretty terrible. Another positive would be that he would have decreased chances of testicular cancer. Though of course it is best to go over all the risks of anaesthetics in an elderly cat with your vet. How old is he? 

Here is a great article on why to spay and neuter your pets (http://www.thecatsite.com/a/spay-and-neuter-your-cats). I also want to point out this is a pro spay and neuter site. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aethyrwolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
10 years old.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
10 is for sure not too old and neutering is a very simple procedure in male cats. Even if he gets out for a couple of hours one day he will be able to impregnate several queens and this will result in many more kittens in overcrowded shelters. And like I said it will decrease his risk of cancer.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aethyrwolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He doesn't go out and all of the females in the apartments are fixed.