Why my cat doesn't want to play?

nabarca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is Farsi, my 1 year old cat, is a very healthy cat, but he doesn't want to play with anything, we have toys here (balls, fake mouses, etc) what could be the reason of that?

He is Farsi

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Oooh, Farsi is absolutely gorgeous! I've had cats before that didn't want to play but usually they were older. Have you tried Da Bird? It's a wand toy. The basic model comes with guinea feathers and most cats go crazy over it. If he doesn't respond to that he might just be one of those cats who aren't into playing. Anyway, it's nothing to worry about as long as he is otherwise healthy.

onirin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It really all depends on the cat.

I have to return about half the toys I buy because my older kitty couldnt care less about it.  Try a bunch of really different toys.  Gypsy tends to only like wands toys, I think it's the movement, otherwise she wont play with herself.

Also it's a good idea to rotate toys as cats will get bored of the same mouse or ball or even wand I find.

Funny thing really, my cats tend to like toys that are cheap, the cheaper the better.

I cut toilet paper rolls into rings or buy those pipe cleaners and curl them up into spirls (please dont leave you cat along with the pipe cleaner as it has a wire in it.)

Just keep experimenting, good luck :)

macsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you play with him?

My Mac will play alone but Sasha will only play with someone. She likes me to use a wand or drag a string. Mac will chase a ball or throw a mouse around by himself if no one can play.

Does he like catnip? Some cats get very playful when there's catnip involved!

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He is so good looking baby. Is he your one and only? Maybe he need a sister or brother?

Macha played with my hair ties she loved it at first then she got bored and I bought mousie toy, she played again and again until she lost it and couldn't find, that's when she wasn't happy. I tried to play with her and kept her busy but still like there's something missing. When Mia arrived things changed she's so happy and occupied with her, they will play together and it's fun to have a sister to play with. Now, two babies giving me love and making each other happy evryday.

As they said...two is better than one and it works here for us :-)