Why is this happening?

Bkrichten17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat recently had kittens they’re 3 weeks old and she has tried moving them once to an unsafe place and we put them back and created a new space that is safe with in a few days she took to the new space and has been happy with it for about a week or so and we slowed down the visits to the kittens since she tried moving them. She seems to have no issue at all with us holding them and them exploring and she’ll even feed them out side of the nest when they’re out exploring. But she’s trying to move them to an unsafe place again I’m not sure if she is jealous or what. She got all the attention before she had kittens but now of course we try to socialize the kittens a little. They love the human attention and love playing with us but we try not to, to much. Like I said she doesn’t mind. But through out the day and night she’ll meow until we give her attention. She sit on us and meow until we wake up(never did this before). Is she jealous? Is there and way to stop the moving? The kitten are at the age were they’re moving a lot and even crawling on the little 9in tall fence that in around the closet door to keep them in.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put the kittens in a room that is kitten-proofed and safe for them to explore and put mom in there with them. Visit frequently, and let mom in and out.

The kittens are too little to be moved or to have the run of the house right now. Three weeks is the age they begin to explore and it makes mom nervous. Put mom’s food, water, and litter in the room too. Put some play mice and balls in the room. And make sure mom gets her fair share of attention! :)

Will she be getting spayed in a few weeks?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above. She is nervous and needing assurance and comfort from you, so the meowing. Any mama cat will move her kittens if anything focuses too much attention on them, it is instinctive. The kittens do need socializing, so handling is necessary, but not too much too often. She will start pulling away from them in a few weeks, to start the weaning process, though they will nurse as long as she lets them, often for months afterward. Once they have solid food, mom will stop cleaning their feces, etc., up too, so make sure you have a kitten ready litterbox, I used cardboard flats, and changed them often. she may get a little overwhelmed in a few weeks, they will harder and harder for her to keep track of. She will welcome your presence then!