Why is there always Tuna?

Szewan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed Pancake Weruva wet food, and I noticed Tuna is one of top ingredients of a lot of the flavors - even though the names do not suggest Tuna (eg. Beef and Chicken). I wonder why? Does Tuna make the food more enticing to cats? 🧐

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some cats yep it does, my cats love fish.. but fish all the time isnt good for them. :(

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Pancake Weruva wet food, and I noticed Tuna is one of top ingredients of a lot of the flavors - even though the names do not suggest Tuna (eg. Beef and Chicken). I wonder why? Does Tuna make the food more enticing to cats? 🧐
That must be why. Companies have a higher chance of people buying thier food if it has ish, food cats crave. It is annoying since it is not good to feed them fish

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Szewan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That must be why. Companies have a higher chance of people buying thier food if it has ish, food cats crave. It is annoying since it is not good to feed them fish
And it’s not good because Tuna tends to have high mercury? My cat is v picky with wet food...he won’t eat chicken or turkey-based food 😟...only fish (tuna/salmon) or beef, and reluctantly some duck 😂...and he only eats one line of Weruva food, which really limits my choice 😕

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish my cat would eat foods with tuna or any fish in them. It would make feeding him so much easier!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't stand that either. My cats hate tuna and I don't want them to eat it so at least there's something we agree on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Szewan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish my cat would eat foods with tuna or any fish in them. It would make feeding him so much easier!
I guess we all have our problems huh 😂 I wish my cat would eat chicken so we can have more variety...

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess we all have our problems huh 😂 I wish my cat would eat chicken so we can have more variety...
Those darn cats! You know when my kid wouldn't eat, she went hungry until the next meal. No treats or snacks. No bending over backwards or going broke to find something she would eat. But no these flipping cats will actually starve themselves to get their way.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Tuna is cheap to source in Thailand where the product is made. That’s probably the main reason ... plus cats love it so it makes their foods appear more enticing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, tuna is cheap, there are parts of it humans don't want to eat, and most cats like it. So it's kind of a no-brainer for cat food companies to add it.

On the mercury issue at least, usually the bits that make it into cat food are the smaller tunas that humans don't want, so mercury levels should be lower. I'm not sure if anyone has ever tested mercury levels in cats food though. . .

Oh hey, someone did:
(PDF) Mercury in petfood*

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Very interesting article. But there are fish that do not dive down so deep like tuna. What fish would be safer? I know mackerel is one

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those darn cats! You know when my kid wouldn't eat, she went hungry until the next meal. No treats or snacks. No bending over backwards or going broke to find something she would eat. But no these flipping cats will actually starve themselves to get their way.
They absolutely will. If you don't bend over backwards to feed them, they can easily starve. You would think it's darwin-award-worthy and a result of some kind of horrible dysgenic selection but it's not. It's the best adaptation to have in order to get the best food available. Thus the adaptation flourishes.

JC fka JClark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The problem withnTuna is that cats can develop an allergy to it. Feline Acne is a common one IIRC.