Why is my pregnant cat ALWAYS seem to be hungry?

laurelism

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My baby Tehya is pretty far along now, and will practically claw your hand off for a scrap of food. I already feed her cat food and everything, and of course give her plenty of treats like deli turkey and salmon. But she NEVER seems to stop being hungry! Is there a limit to how much food she should be getting?
Thanks everyone!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you keep dry food down for her at all times during the day? If you aren't feeding a high-quality kitten dry food formula, then you might want to give her the extra calories so she has the energy she needs to bake all those little biscuits in there! *grin* And of course, after she delivers, she will need at least 3 to 5 times what she normally eats to sustain the nutrition for the growing babies as they nurse.

In short, feed her all she wants anytime she wants.

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our kitty Pepsi is a teeny cat, normally around four or five pounds. (She's healthy, just little.) She's never been a big eater. But while she was pregnant, and since she's had the kittens, she's been eating like a lumberjack. I think she eats more than our other three combined.

dr. doolittle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As Gaye said you should be feeding her a good quality kitten food. Her nutritional requirements are increasing as the babies are growing inside her. She will need to eat even more after the kittens are born as most of her food will go to producing milk.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Must ... resist ... furry cuteness of kittens ...

Good luck! I feed the Church cat and today I saw the most beautiful tabby cat - sort of dark gold with tabby stripes. She was emaciated so I put extra food for her and THEN I saw 2 black minxes looking at me - running to hide but still peek out at me. And I saw a beatiful classic tabby baby. I thought I prefered older cats BUT NOW-----! I want all 4 (mom AND babies).

I already named the black ones Felix and Fritzy and decided the grey should be little Bear but it probably won't end up lookng like a bear! I GOTTA find someone to help me catch them and make sure they are healthy and get to a good home, but I will alway pine for them. Sooooooooo cute!