Why is my kitten always sleeping on the floor?!

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! So I have a male kitten that's 8 weeks old and eversince we got him 2 weeks ago he has the habit of sleeping on the floor. Last week he was quite ill and I took him to the vet suspecting that it was a urinary tract infection but the vet said that his bladder was 'quite small' and ruled out that possibility. He was on antibiotics for 5 days and he got better.

He eats well, plays well (he LOVES to play with my older kitten) and uses the litter box as well. But his sleeping positions concern me... like why does he sleep on the floor all curled up when my other cat always sleeps on the bed or sofa? He also prefers to sleep on hard and cold surfaces rather than soft and insulating ones. Also, I noticed that sometimes his body is hot like he's warmer than my other cat who is 5 months old. The vet did say that he's a healthy cat but I am still concerned. My family thinks that its a personality thing because he does this thing where he randomly plops down on the floor wherever it may be and goes to sleep but I am not convinced. Does anyone have some advice for me?
These are some of his sleeping positions:
20211027_111948.jpg
20211027_111923.jpg
20211027_113147.jpg

View attachment 399786View attachment 399787

Amni Alia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For me, the sleeping positions in the second and third pic don't really look concerning..but the first pic does..make sure that he drink much water.. you can try giving him some multivitamin that are proven for kitten to boost his immunity

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For me, the sleeping positions in the second and third pic don't really look concerning..but the first pic does..make sure that he drink much water.. you can try giving him some multivitamin that are proven for kitten to boost his immunity
Alright, I will. Thank you!

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He looks fine. Cats are individuals with thei r own quirks. Let him be? Two of mine sleep atop the freezer or on the floor when there are perfectly good beds. They may decide to change that at some stage. Many cats sleep curled up too

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He looks fine. Cats are individuals with thei r own quirks. Let him be? Two of mine sleep atop the freezer or on the floor when there are perfectly good beds. They may decide to change that at some stage. Many cats sleep curled up too
Your post makes me feel even more reassured. I just really hope that that's his 'thing' and not health related.

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah you would know if he were sick.
You really would. Hopefully that never happens.
If he is eating well. responding to you etc? And in time you will get used to his quirks and individual ways.
And start really enjoying him with no worrying.
My two are sleeping at the part of the freezer where there is no warmth from it - I have added a hand knitted blanket. In a few weeks they may decide on a change .. This is a fairly new thing for them.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The first position is one my cats use all the time. In fact all of them look pretty cat-like to me.

I think that if the vets say he's fine, you can believe them. :)

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah you would know if he were sick.
You really would. Hopefully that never happens.
If he is eating well. responding to you etc? And in time you will get used to his quirks and individual ways.
And start really enjoying him with no worrying.
My two are sleeping at the part of the freezer where there is no warmth from it - I have added a hand knitted blanket. In a few weeks they may decide on a change .. This is a fairly new thing for them.
He is eating well and learning to respond to his name too. Your two cats sound absolutely adorable; they really relate to my kitten Percy!

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The first position is one my cats use all the time. In fact all of them look pretty cat-like to me.

I think that if the vets say he's fine, you can believe them. :)
Thank you for the reassurance :) At this point I am starting to think that its probably his nature.

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a total of seven cats; 2 missing just now .... one neglected island lad and one island lad left when his owner died and three originally mine... Great company and so much affection.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 8 weeks old a kitten will simply fall asleep wherever he happens to be when he feels tired. I've had motherless kittens im my living room who fell asleep scattered throughout the room. During the night they would often seek each others company so would be found lying in a heap in the morning. I have to be careful with the three seven-week old kittens I have at the moment - they sleep separately on the floor - sometimes in the middle of the room camourflaged by the carpet. They lie together for a short time after being fed by mamacat but then go off playing until tiredness hits them.

Your baby is unluckly not to still have his mother or siblings - but he's doing just fine! Don't worry!

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a total of seven cats; 2 missing just now .... one neglected island lad and one island lad left when his owner died and three originally mine... Great company and so much affection.
Sounds wonderful! As a cat person I can say that no amount of cats is too many.

But what happened to your missing 2? I really hope you find them!!:(

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At 8 weeks old a kitten will simply fall asleep wherever he happens to be when he feels tired. I've had motherless kittens im my living room who fell asleep scattered throughout the room. During the night they would often seek each others company so would be found lying in a heap in the morning. I have to be careful with the three seven-week old kittens I have at the moment - they sleep separately on the floor - sometimes in the middle of the room camourflaged by the carpet. They lie together for a short time after being fed by mamacat but then go off playing until tiredness hits them.

Your baby is unluckly not to still have his mother or siblings - but he's doing just fine! Don't worry!
I do feel for him sometimes as well but he is a rescue and all I can do is give him a good home and lots of love. He does have my 5 month old kitten for company though. At first they were very distant with eachother but now they're best friends and groom each other almost as if they were siblings.
20211027_115230.jpg

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds wonderful! As a cat person I can say that no amount of cats is too many.

But what happened to your missing 2? I really hope you find them!!:(
They got kidnapped. The Gardai ( Irish cops) do know. Right will prevail and soon. New experience for me.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
But his sleeping positions concern me... like why does he sleep on the floor all curled up when my other cat always sleeps on the bed or sofa?
He looks perfectly fine to me. Cats sleep in all sorts of position. My boy sometimes sleeps like he's a contortionist :lol:

Your kitty may be used to sleeping on floors before you got him and sleeping on floor keeps them cooler than sleeping on sofa or on a cushion or bed.

As he grows older, his sleeping position and pattern will change, so don't be so worried.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
They look like normal kitten positions to me.

Cats’ normal temperature is higher than human temps which is why they feel warm/hot to you. And yes, it can vary quite a bit from one cat to another. My cats tend to lay on the tile floor in hot weather and come into bed with me when it gets cold. I do have a couple who sleep with me no matter what and one who never comes onto the bed.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has napped on the floor for years. There are cats that prefer that. She sleeps in many different positions. It could also be the spot is warmer or prefers to be alone,no disturbances,where it's quiet. And away from my cat Maggie who sleeps in many different positions
20170425_204536-COLLAGE.jpg

Last edited: