Why is my cat twitching?

Rabadaba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 9-year-old cat began twitching two weeks ago when visiting my parents. It's like a quick electrical pulse all over his body. We thought it might be environmental, but it has continued back at home. It happens when he is awake, not being touched, not scared or overly stimulated (video posted below). He does not seems too bothered by it, and is not sensitive to the touch or exhibiting any other behavioral changes. Any ideas?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best thing to do is email the video link to the vet and ask what the twitching is. If the cat is fine otherwise, the vet may just tell you to monitor the cat for now. Possibilities for the twitching could be feline hyperthesia or a neurological issue.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with the above poster about sharing that video with your vet. There are a bunch of possible reasons for the twitching, up to an including hypoglycemia (diabetes) or other metabolic disorders. Your vet would likely want to run some tests to see if they would shed any light on what is behind it, especially if Alex (I presume that is his name?) hasn't had a very recent senior check up (yes, a 9 yo cat is considered a senior in most vets' opinion).

Here is an article about the various types of twitching and probable causes for them, just so you have an idea of their nature.
Involuntary Muscle Trembling in Cats | PetMD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rabadaba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for the help! We are taking Alex to the Vet tomorrow. I will post an update once we get one.