Why is my cat so thin?

kevin st julian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
many very thin cats (not all) have thyroid issue called hyperthyroidism where no matter how much they eat they cannot gain wait. Please see your vet asap if you suspect this. An "easy" fix and usually will give them a shot or pills you give them every day.

choffman12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is to Irina Shulkin. If you haven't already please, please, please take your cat to the vet. It is never a good idea to just try home remedies to treat your cat. You need to take him or her to the vet and find out what is going on so that you can get him or her the right kind of treatment for his or her illness.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

This is to Irina Shulkin. If you haven't already please, please, please take your cat to the vet. It is never a good idea to just try home remedies to treat your cat. You need to take him or her to the vet and find out what is going on so that you can get him or her the right kind of treatment for his or her illness.
This is quite an old thread @choffman12

Irina's cat was taken to the vet, as stated in her post. 

susan childs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Even one clove of garlic can be toxic for a cat - please don't give your kitty any garlic. Google it!

LoveJoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I worry about one of my cats too. He is 6 years old. He always been a picky eater, and ravageous eater- turned to be he had worms. His stomach was always very sensitive: throwing up was a normal thing for him. Almost daily. Once he was in such trouble that he had stopped assimilating any food, He was starving and dying. Lackily, despite of the vet could not find anything, gave him a prescription diet, and it did not work... I found in Trader Joe cats candies... He recovered with this product and I contacted company, and started him on their dry food. He recovered, eating this dry food for e a while. I kept cooking chicken for both, and they were happy. I did not give them any crappy food from the store. This little nenver liked fish. Now, I moved and I have 3 cats now. He is eating all right. but for the first time his bowl movement become a problem. His stool is a liquid. He does not through up as often, but I have to feed him and close in the restroom, as he can not hold his poop... Often he goes on the bed... So it has become a real problem. His stool is soft, I look up under his tale like a Mom and wipe him... so he does not smear everywhere. My life become a watchful eye for my Baloo. His nose is wet mostly, his eye contact is good, and I know that when he did not assimilate food- he does not behave as social and responsive. When he was small I called him autistic, because of that. I knew that it was a lack of nutrients in his body and brain. Now he begun eating variety of meats- fish, salmon, tuna (clean tuna nothing added) I keep adding pro-prebiotics to every meal. I know it saved him already. That is how he reduced his throwing up events. But he is very skinny and the stool is a problem. I suspect the same crackers that saved his life before. I am staying with chicken and tuna . Chicken home made. I wish for some advice on a subject of worms, herbs, I gave him garlic before- I should try again- it worked ;-) I also got some alovera juice- will try to give him that tooo
Garlic and onions can kill a cat - wouldn't give him garlic. It can lead to damaging the red blood cells if the amount is too much. Packaged Probiotics have mixed results. Once a cat's flora gets out of whack, it can be hard to get it balanced again. Primal dried beef and salmon nuggets, rehydrated with Primal goat's milk, or any products similar, should get the flora back in line in a few days. Feed one nugget crushed up with the goat's milk, twice a day. As for the worms, there are many options. A monthly topical like Revolution or Advantage Multi will kill most parasites and prevent ear mites, but the tapeworms will need a separate med. There are also all-in-one topicals now, for all parasites, but they are more expensive. Topicals require a vet prescription...over the counter deworming pills can work, but the dosage can be tricky, and can lead to more unbalanced flora and runny poops. All solutions are a bit expensive, but the thing is to get that flora back in line ASAP. Only way to do that is with easily digested proteins (venison or beef) and a natural balancer like goat's milk. Cow's milk won't work it will make it worse because of the lactose.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even one clove of garlic can be toxic for a cat - please don't give your kitty any garlic. Google it!
Old but my cat is on garlic.. nutrigest. The dose is toxic not the food. Well.. both my cats are on nutrigest that contains garlic and they're both just fine. One has been on it a year and he hasnt had vomiting episodes since going on it

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I googled Nutrigest and it does say it is for cats and dogs. All the reviews I could find were for dogs. I'm giving a respiratory med made for cats that contain alcohol which is toxic to cats too, they are improving so I will keep giving it. I believe the amounts are so small that they are beneficial rather than harmful. Us humans take products that are like this too, such as arsenic (found naturally in soil, food, and water) botulism toxin, even aspirin, and many drugs. Small amounts are fine and even beneficial, Large amounts can kill you. Most are broken down by the liver or passed through the kidneys so they are eliminated. The ones you have to watch for are like heavy metals, lead is an example, Which is relatively harmless to adults but is NOT eliminated from the body and can build up to harmful levels. Children are affected much worse because they are smaller and still developing, so it takes much, much less to be harmful. as long as kidney/liver function is normal cats and humans are fine.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I googled Nutrigest and it does say it is for cats and dogs. All the reviews I could find were for dogs. I'm giving a respiratory med made for cats that contain alcohol which is toxic to cats too, they are improving so I will keep giving it. I believe the amounts are so small that they are beneficial rather than harmful. Us humans take products that are like this too, such as arsenic (found naturally in soil, food, and water) botulism toxin, even aspirin, and many drugs. Small amounts are fine and even beneficial, Large amounts can kill you. Most are broken down by the liver or passed through the kidneys so they are eliminated. The ones you have to watch for are like heavy metals, lead is an example, Which is relatively harmless to adults but is NOT eliminated from the body and can build up to harmful levels. Children are affected much worse because they are smaller and still developing, so it takes much, much less to be harmful. as long as kidney/liver function is normal cats and humans are fine.
It's an amazing thing for chronic pancreatitis (the nutrigest) that and giving them beef pancreas capsules! Hes on two probiotics, nutrigest, gather vitality herb for his stomach and the beef organs and sometimes marshmallow root. I actually vave him technically arsenic this week when he was very sick and nauseous and not wanting to move a couple hours after the first dose he ate his whole bowl of food and came out from hiding to cuddle me all night long. Homeopathy for animals is amazing. He also had alcohol in his vaccine detox and another homeopathic remedy his vet game him. I actually could taste the alcohol a bit (I always try what he takes) lol

cat mom 8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be a thyroid problem, it could be worms and it could just be the metabolism. You may think the kitty is too thin,
but if can be just the normal. A vet can tell you better than guessing.