Why Is My Cat So Hungry? Tries To Eat Anything?

Vyscaria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 2.5 yrs old, female spayed. I adopted her as a stray. She was always hungry from the beginning, as she was rescued very underweight. So I fed her until she reached a normal weight, and have been opting to feed her more than my other cat still because she just acts like she is desperately hungry all the time!

She jumps onto my dinner table and tries to steal food from my plates. Meat, vegetables, rice, cake, kimchi, beans, tofu, anything. She has even tried to steal food from inside my mouth as I was chewing. She gets into the garbage and once ate fruit peels and licks egg shells. She even tries to lick/eat from dirty dishes soaking in the sink, and one time I caught her licking my actual STOVE because of some of the cooking grease that had scummed on top. One time my friend brought me a bagel with cream cheese from the coffee shop, it was wrapped in wax paper and she had again put the whole thing in a ziploc bag because she knew my cat tends to get into food. She left it in her purse. An hour later her purse zipper had been gnawed open and the bagel had been half consumed, the wax paper and ziplock bag with giant hole in it and presumably eaten. After every time I catch her eating something she shouldn't be eating, I make sure everything is put away and I observe her closely for any signs of constipation and illness. So far it looks like she has a stomach of steel.

Every time I think I have it under control now, her behaviour just gets more and more extreme. Why is she like this? She is at a good weight, and she is very energetic, self grooms well, drinks well, plays well with me and my other cat, and has good and regular stools/urine. She does not have any other symptoms that would lead me to think she has worms. Should I be feeding her more food, or is this a behavioural issue perhaps from her time as a stray? Any tips on how I should approach this?

Last edited:

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i have anewly adopted stray kitty and she always acts hungry too. Not quite as extreme as yours, but shes stolen a whole egroll off my plate before, and will come see and try to take a bite of whatever im eating. id say take her to the vet to rule anything out, but i think itsjust from being a stray. They learned you have to be proactive and if theres food, any kindI of food, grab it and eat it NOW no matter what it is because who knows when theyll find it again?

I just gently move her away or put her on the floor while im eating. i also try to feed her dinner right before i eat, so she'll be full and less likely to want mins.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
or is this a behavioural issue perhaps from her time as a stray? Any tips on how I should approach this?

Former strays have insecurities about food so they're constantly trying to scrounge for food even if they have a full bowl of food available. Time may help resolve the issue. I guess for now, just keep on top of clearing the counters and sink of food, using trash cans with secure lids, not leaving food in abgs and purses, etc. Give the cat a firm NO and take her away from what she's trying to eat.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there are two parts to her issue. First, not having always had access to enough food, she is always on the prowl for food. Second, what she probably did eat was garbage and scraps so she has a taste for people food.

If you are not free feeding her kibble, you might want to give it a try. If she finds she has cat food always available she may be less inclined to come after people food. But her old scavenging habits might still stick around so you may still need to secure garbage cans and keep sinks and counters clear of food.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Ruby was never as extreme as your girl, but I think she was a stray for a bit, and when I adopted her she was definitely food obsessed. She'd lick her dish clean no matter how much I fed her. And she was always on the prowl for food. Once she ate a muffin paper I'd foolishly left on the counter!

She did after a while stop vacuuming her food, and stopped trying to eat anything I was eating. I can't remember how long it took, but I think less than a year. Now she leaves food in her dish and returns throughout the day to nibble.

How long have you had your girl? Hopefully she'll eventually realize she's never going to go hungry again and her food obsession will go away.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i wonder if it might help too to have a really sset feeding schedule, to help them feel secure that food always comes at a certain time? im going to do that i think.

i tried keeping a bowl of dry kibble around but she wasnt interested-took a couple nibbles and walked away. It was Wellness brand which i thought was pretty good, but she wasnt having it.