Why Is My Cat Gone?

DirewolfSixer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HEAR ME OUT, I know it’s long but I gave all the possible information here.

Just a few hours ago my cat, Summer, disappeared from our house. We looked everywhere, inside the house and the area I live in. I know I have to wait for 18 - 24 hours to act but I’m worry too much. What if he’s hungry and hasn’t found food? What if he got into a fight with another cat? What if a predator chased him and strayed further away? Or what if he doesn’t want to go home anymore?

Here’s everything:
1. My family always liked the idea of “slap punishment”, they do it on our cats when they damage things like couches and curtains. I already told my mother it won’t discipline them because THEY AREN’T HUMANS, she’s really annoying cause she never listens to me at all, she keeps her ways and still slaps the cats especially in the face, really hard. It just sickens me that I can’t do anything about it.

2. His food is good cat food (dry). Our cats always come down from upstairs whenever they hear the sound of the food container opening, or when I shake it to produce sound. I’m pretty sure they love it.

3. They are extremely energetic and playful with each other.
4. Summer is an approachable cat even for strangers.
5. His litter box is regularly cleaned up.
6. He doesn’t fight with the other cats.
7. He’s always afraid of going outside, I don’t know why he escaped.
8. Food is regularly given, at the right amount.
9. I’m the only family member who never punishes him, I always rub his chin/jaw and he loves it.
10. I live in a subdivision with walls and security guards, and I already told them about my missing cat. They said they’ll circle around to look for him.
11. He usually goes upstairs and starts to meow very loudly (I’ve heard they do it as a mating call?)
12. I sleep beside him and my other cats.
13. He doesn’t have toys, blankets, just other cats to play with.

What could be the cause of his disappearance? Any tips on how to find him? And what can I use to lure him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DirewolfSixer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
14. The wind is very strong and chilly outside.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you find him and find him a safer home.

There is no law that says you have to speak to your family even if you live with them.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry that your cat is missing. Your parents are so very wrong to strike the cats, as it really does not teach them anything other than to fear and avoid the person who strikes them. And I'm very much afraid that your cat "voted with his paws" about being slapped. But don't give up, don't stop looking. It is very possible, since he is so friendly, that he has been taken in by a kind neighbor. If this is the case, and if he is being treated well, think very hard about bringing him back to your home. I know how heartbreaking it would be, but perhaps you could arrange to visit him, and be content knowing that he wouldn't ever be struck again.

Eventually, you will have your own home, and it is good to know that you will be a caring, knowledgeable cat guardian, and will treat your pets properly.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is he? I hope you find him soon.
And if you ever do find him, I recommend getting him neutered. An intact male will travel far and wide in search of a mate, so it's not that strange if Summer, who is normally afraid of going outside, would venture out.
I'm sorry to hear about how your family treats the cats, a neutered male will also be calmer, and less likely to "act up". Maybe you can't do much about your family members, but maybe that will get them to slap the cats less.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello. I've read your other posting here -- you have four cats, two of which are Summer (almost a year old & male) and Greywing (female and she's in heat) who are siblings. The other two are male/female and younger siblings to each other, too. (Are they all family members as well?)

Are all of your cats not yet neutered or spayed?? It would be an excellent idea to spay and neuter all the cats as soon as possible.

If Summer is not neutered, that could very well be one reason he is outside right now: he could be seeking female cats.

It's likely your Greywing is on her way to being pregnant if she's in heat and the younger cats are also reaching sexual maturity, too.

DirewolfSixer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope you find him and find him a safer home.

There is no law that says you have to speak to your family even if you live with them.
I love them so much so I can’t bear letting go of them, but thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I’ll just spay and neuter all of them so that they’ll be calmer and avoid sexual desires, that way, my family won’t hit them in the face.

DirewolfSixer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that your cat is missing. Your parents are so very wrong to strike the cats, as it really does not teach them anything other than to fear and avoid the person who strikes them. And I'm very much afraid that your cat "voted with his paws" about being slapped. But don't give up, don't stop looking. It is very possible, since he is so friendly, that he has been taken in by a kind neighbor. If this is the case, and if he is being treated well, think very hard about bringing him back to your home. I know how heartbreaking it would be, but perhaps you could arrange to visit him, and be content knowing that he wouldn't ever be struck again.

Eventually, you will have your own home, and it is good to know that you will be a caring, knowledgeable cat guardian, and will treat your pets properly.
Thank you so much for your concern.

I hear his meowing somewhere near (around the block) but I can’t seem to find him, I hope he’s just cuddled in a corner waiting for the weather to calm down. And yes, you’re absolutely right about not hitting pets. No one will ever hit my cats after I get my own house, which would have its own rules.

Thanks again.

DirewolfSixer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is he? I hope you find him soon.
And if you ever do find him, I recommend getting him neutered. An intact male will travel far and wide in search of a mate, so it's not that strange if Summer, who is normally afraid of going outside, would venture out.
I'm sorry to hear about how your family treats the cats, a neutered male will also be calmer, and less likely to "act up". Maybe you can't do much about your family members, but maybe that will get them to slap the cats less.
Maybe around 1 year old? I don’t remember but he’s already big, comparable to the cats my neighbor has (which are already 5-year old+.) I will neuter and spay all of my cats so they avoid mating and getting hit by my family.

Thanks A LOT for your concern and suggestion.

DirewolfSixer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I've read your other posting here -- you have four cats, two of which are Summer (almost a year old & male) and Greywing (female and she's in heat) who are siblings. The other two are male/female and younger siblings to each other, too. (Are they all family members as well?)

Are all of your cats not yet neutered or spayed?? It would be an excellent idea to spay and neuter all the cats as soon as possible.

If Summer is not neutered, that could very well be one reason he is outside right now: he could be seeking female cats.

It's likely your Greywing is on her way to being pregnant if she's in heat and the younger cats are also reaching sexual maturity, too.
To be honest, I don’t really know if Summer and Greywind are siblings since I never saw their mother/s. But when we found them, they were together, so I guess maybe they are siblings. Summer is an Orange Tabby and Greywind is a Grey Tabby.

Shaggy and Lady are from a close friend. Originally we had another cat before them, her name was Ghost, but she died too young. Why? Because my mother always puts all of them out in the balcony, and it’s always cold up there, especially at night. Like I said, she never listens to me when I tell her something, that’s why she died. After a few months, our friend had a cat and she gave birth to four healthy kittens, we adopted two. Shaggy is a Siamese-Grey Tabby (Male) while Lady is a Siamese-Bombay (Female). The two have surprisingly elastic skin and Shaggy is the only one who has a complete or straight tail.

Btw, is it right to call their breed as their color or is it different?

DirewolfSixer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HE CAME BACK HOME :yess: Finally, I thought Summer was gone, it would’ve been so heartbreaking for me.

I actually placed a small tupperware with his food in it on a window last night and let it smell. I figured that if the wind is strong (which was blowing my body away), it would carry the scent of the food to him to guide his way home. And he did. I’m seriously happy.

Thank you all for your concerns, advices, and encouragement. This is seriously the best community I got into. :biggrin:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy that he came back!

How old are you? Are you capable of living on your own? If so, get out and take your cats with you. I will tell you one thing, no one would be slapping my cats, especially in the face. I never slapped or spanked my children, and I sure would not do it to an animal. It is cruel and it does not stop a cat from misbehaving. In fact, it causes the cats to get stressed out, which could lead to them becoming aggressive or to destroy items.

DirewolfSixer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m actually just 17 years old. And no, I’m still not capable of living on my own :lol: (well I would like to but I wouldn’t sustain myself.) That’s the plan I’ve been thinking of for years, to not hit my future-children and anyone/thing at all. I have to be honest, I have anger issues and usually break things around me, but I will never bring it out on my children and pets. It’s one of the most important rules in my life I want to follow, and I always will.

Currently I’m thinking of joining an animal rescue teams when I become older, and not just for animals, but also for people in need.

DirewolfSixer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So happy that he came back!

How old are you? Are you capable of living on your own? If so, get out and take your cats with you. I will tell you one thing, no one would be slapping my cats, especially in the face. I never slapped or spanked my children, and I sure would not do it to an animal. It is cruel and it does not stop a cat from misbehaving. In fact, it causes the cats to get stressed out, which could lead to them becoming aggressive or to destroy items.
Oh I forgot to quote your comment :paranoid:

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m actually just 17 years old. And no, I’m still not capable of living on my own :lol: (well I would like to but I wouldn’t sustain myself.) That’s the plan I’ve been thinking of for years, to not hit my future-children and anyone/thing at all. I have to be honest, I have anger issues and usually break things around me, but I will never bring it out on my children and pets. It’s one of the most important rules in my life I want to follow, and I always will.

Currently I’m thinking of joining an animal rescue teams when I become older, and not just for animals, but also for people in need.
Wonderful wonderful! Yes, do it! Follow through and devote some of your life to people and/ or animals who need rescue. I think from what you are saying that I grew up similarly seeing abuse (of people not animals) and being abused. I know a few other cat rescuers who had similar backgrounds and we are all people who are really gentle and patient, would never hurt a fly types, no matter what we grew up with and I think it helps make us more empathic and compassionate. At your age I was also breaking things but I never hit anyone and never caused harm and I've learned how to handle feeling that desperate sort of anger no one would ever guess I ever had problems with anger.

It might be out of place for a site about cats but I heard a lot of hope in your message and just wanted to show that all that stuff you are hoping for is possible.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad he came home. At his age he probably was out looking for love. At his age, it's quite likely that your lady cats are pregnant. My boys sprayed for the first time at 9 months. The vet said 2 of the three lady cats were pregnant and the third one was a little pregnant.

Take them into the vet now. Ask him to spay and neuter them. Ask him to not tell you the details. You don't need to know, but you need to do this now to keep tiny kittens safe from your mother.

DirewolfSixer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wonderful wonderful! Yes, do it! Follow through and devote some of your life to people and/ or animals who need rescue. I think from what you are saying that I grew up similarly seeing abuse (of people not animals) and being abused. I know a few other cat rescuers who had similar backgrounds and we are all people who are really gentle and patient, would never hurt a fly types, no matter what we grew up with and I think it helps make us more empathic and compassionate. At your age I was also breaking things but I never hit anyone and never caused harm and I've learned how to handle feeling that desperate sort of anger no one would ever guess I ever had problems with anger.

It might be out of place for a site about cats but I heard a lot of hope in your message and just wanted to show that all that stuff you are hoping for is possible.
I will, thanks to your encouragement:D. Just fyi, helping others and animals is my number one goal. Screw becoming rich and successful, all I want is to help everyone and every animal.

I may have anger issues but I’ve always had the heart to give and help, it gives me absolute joy to see people and animals be happy.

I really thank you all for your support and help for finding my cat. This community is so heart-warming to be honest. :heartshape::heartshape: