Why Is Dry Food So Bad?

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody. You've convinced me.

As long as she's enjoying the Fancy Feast wet I will limit her dry food even more. I suppose it would be ideal to stop feeding it to her at all, right?
Yes, ditch the dry food entirely! If at all possible, transition her to human-grade canned food or raw. Feed-grade canned food or kibble are very bad for cats' long-term health. With animal health, it's either pay now or pay later. Trust me; you'd be a whole lot better off paying more with higher quality food now if at all possible, rather than go years and years investing in the cheap stuff and suddenly you have a cat suffering and requiring very expensive medical treatment.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could never get my cat 100% off dry food. Eventually I got him down to about 1/16 of a cup of dry food per day (he eats more when I feed him wet food he isn’t fond of.) You may want to give him a small dry food bowl to hold a handful of dry food. Also give him the best dry food you can. I couldn’t get my picky eater off fancy feast but I figured fancy feast wet was better than the best dry food. 🤷🏻‍♀️

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If Fancy Feast (wet) is what your cat likes and what you can afford, it is a fine food. I think any wet is better than all dry. I’ve known cats who lived long lives on FF and Friskies. FF is actually pretty decent. I definitely don’t think it automatically leads to problems later on. Some of these expensive, boutique brands are not all they’re cracked up to be.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
FF classics is the only pate she has never thrown up. Expensive food is too rich for her. She also eats nutro perfect portions.only needs 1 half portion. If she had the same amount as rawz she would throw up. My cat Maggie was on a wide variety of expeensive wet food and did not like raw. Now she has medical issues. The only food she can eat is weruva steak frites. She is 9 pds long and slender

Last edited:

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Regarding food allergies- There is evidence to suggest cats can develop an allergy to foods if fed those foods exclusively.

Dry food also inhibits a cat’s stomach lining from absorbing water.

Gizzards are good for keeping a cat’s teeth clean. When available, we supplement Belle’s diet with raw chicken gizzards, hearts and livers. She loves them! Through out the day, she gets a variety of Sheba flavors, a couple of different brands and flavors of commercial raw and what my wife calls “lizards & gizzards”.

Dry food is like Twinkies. Ok for the occasional treat but not healthy.

(PS- If the only thing your cat can or will eat is dry, it’s better than them not eating at all.)