Why I shop at Amazon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I used to buy from QVC a few years ago, but then I stopped watching. I only watched In the Kitchen with David and there were always some kitchen items that would call to me. I haven't shopped there for quite a while now. I love their Northern Nights flannel sheets; they've held up very well.

We try to buy locally as much as we can and in past years, we would take an evening when the stores in town were open and do some Christmas shopping in town. Just park somewhere and walk. It was really nice. And throughout the year, I like to shop at the local stores. But again, pandemic.

It's gotten to where when the UPS guy comes to the house, he'll say, "Hi Rick, how are you?". I don't know if that's good or bad.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm usually very careful about quantities when buying online, but really messed up this week. I meant to get a box of 75 Tetley tea bags, but somehow managed to click "150" instead. That's not too bad, but Amazon has a special offer right now, and sent 240 for the price of 150! :paperbag: :thud:Oops. :lol:
You mean like this?

Thats a 16oz can of beans next to that vat of margarine!! I got this in May on accident and its still not quite gone!
6F6DBEB4-04AB-4636-B2C3-DA5E3560E36D.jpeg

I got this at the same time thinking it was a full size bag of chips. 😆
72274BF1-1D1F-49AA-B0C6-E41E3470DF3D.jpeg

I’ve also accidentally ordered a quart of milk instead of a gallon. That lasts my kids basically no time at all.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm usually very careful about quantities when buying online, but really messed up this week. I meant to get a box of 75 Tetley tea bags, but somehow managed to click "150" instead. That's not too bad, but Amazon has a special offer right now, and sent 240 for the price of 150! :paperbag: :thud:Oops. :lol:
That'll last you a while!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to buy from QVC a few years ago, but then I stopped watching. I only watched In the Kitchen with David and there were always some kitchen items that would call to me. I haven't shopped there for quite a while now. I love their Northern Nights flannel sheets; they've held up very well.

We try to buy locally as much as we can and in past years, we would take an evening when the stores in town were open and do some Christmas shopping in town. Just park somewhere and walk. It was really nice. And throughout the year, I like to shop at the local stores. But again, pandemic.

It's gotten to where when the UPS guy comes to the house, he'll say, "Hi Rick, how are you?". I don't know if that's good or bad.f
I have never ordered from QVC but I do like to watch David. I would like to order some of their food that they advertise like their nuts and deserts.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
sorry, it's a no from me. I don't use it unless it's essential. I'm fighting a losing battle to keep the small shops going. :lol:
:yeah: I couldn't agree more!

We've been supporting the small shops for as long as I can remember. Ever since the pandemic and restrictions back in March we've watched so many of our favorite ma & pa stores, restaurants, etc. go out of business. This Saturday, as in years past, we will be going to our local Small Business Saturday event. This is what they posted:
Small businesses have been the hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic, making Small Business Saturday in 2020 more vital than ever. This year, the all-local shopping event falls on Nov. 28th. Independently owned boutiques, gift shops, mom-and-pop hardware stores, restaurants and the like are facing unprecedented challenges due to coronavirus-related restrictions and shutdowns.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Small businesses have been the hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic, making Small Business Saturday in 2020 more vital than ever. This year, the all-local shopping event falls on Nov. 28th. Independently owned boutiques, gift shops, mom-and-pop hardware stores, restaurants and the like are facing unprecedented challenges due to coronavirus-related restrictions and shutdowns.

Your local small business may have a web site you can shop from if you prefer not to shop in person.

There's a virtual shopping web site up right now by the local chamber of commerce for a bunch of small businesses that are participating. One does need to register (free) in order to shop the virtual marketplace although since the stores are listed on the main web site, anyone can just go directly to a store's own web site and shop from there.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been supporting the small shops for as long as I can remember.
What type of stores? The only mom and pop stores around here are restaurants. I like the little sandwich shops. The stores are just big name like Walmart, Price Chopper, BJs, Big Lots, Dollar General, Kinney Drugs, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Home Depot.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Your local small business may have a web site you can shop from if you prefer not to shop in person.
I actually like shopping in person especially when I'm choosing a gift for someone. And I love seeing the holiday lights and decorations. It's a sort of tradition and one of the few things I can still enjoy while taking the proper precautions.

What type of stores? The only mom and pop stores around here are restaurants. I like the little sandwich shops. The stores are just big name like Walmart, Price Chopper, BJs, Big Lots, Dollar General, Kinney Drugs, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Home Depot.
Boutique clothing and accessory stores, book store, pet store, stationery store, spice store, chocolate shop, cafes, coffee shops and three bakeries.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other day I ordered a gigundo skillet for the kids as one of their Christmas gifts and it was delivered today!...by my mail person!I was so shocked...hubby went to the door and I wasn't really paying attention til he walked back in the with the box.Never have had any problems ordering from them at all.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
An interesting Amazon related thing happened today. A week ago I placed an order on Amazon large enough to qualify for free shipping and it arrived in four days. Unfortunately I missed an item and didn’t want to pay shipping on it, so I bought it new off of EBay for the same $14 price as Amazon but with free shipping. It only took two days, and arrived today - in an Amazon package and on an Amazon truck. This isn’t the first time it has happened either.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know other retailers use ebay. Thriftbooks is one. But Amazon? Thats nuts! I ordered chalk once from someone and it showed up in another retailers box too. I think it was Walmart. I was so baffled I thought someone else sent it to me.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Target sent me an email today saying they are back shipping stuff like cat food. Too late! I already ordered from somebody else. They are gonna have to woo me back after pulling that stunt. Maybe send me some nice coupons and I'll forgive them for leaving me high and dry.