Why I shop at Amazon

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I do so much shopping on Amazon..

As Winchester Winchester said, They make it so easy... and with Covid, who can take a chance to shop in person...

I did have a couple of questionable purchases.. One was masks which turned out to be a scam. I reported it; got my refund, immediately, no questions asked.
Another was a defective piece of decoration. I put in a scathing review. The company contacted me, sent me a new piece.

Recently, I bought some really pretty semi-sheer curtains from Amazon..I was so pleasantly shocked when I saw the print and quality of them.

I also have Prime. It is worth it. And I have an Amazon credit card. I get points, which are automatically redeemable for discounts. It is worth it. I also have a Firestick, so... I guess I am an Amazon Person.

Many years ago, I had a bad experience with EBay.. I avoid it now..
Several months ago, I had a bad experience with Etsy... now I avoid that site..

I order from Amazon, Chewy, Kohl's--clean clothes, untried, nicely packaged. and QVC--not much just a few things.

Covid has changed buying habits.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'll never buy clothes or footwear online, I need to be able to try stuff on and feel the fabric.
I have several pairs of exactly the same jeans, and when one pair of sneakers wears out, they're replaced with the same brand, size, and style. How about 6 of the same fleece top and blazer in different colors? The first items were bought at brick and mortar stores, the replacements online - at lower prices. It makes for a boring wardrobe, but is hassle-free. :lol: I figure it's not much different from going to an outlet and stocking up on certain articles of clothing or shoes, which is how I got clothes before online shopping was a thing. I never enjoyed shopping trips. :paperbag:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been shopping online for a while now. My first online purchase was in 1999, and my hands were trembling when I was going to click "place order".
Since then I shopped more and more online.

Why do I shop online (Amazon as well) now?
Because online I find nearly everything, items cost much less and shipping is fast and reliable.
Amazon, in my opinion, is the best. They have an after sale customer support that can't be beaten anywhere in the world, they accept returned stuuf with no wuestion asked, they give me a 2-year warranty (as it is by law in all EU) even on second-hand items.
Prime isn't as expensive as it is in the USA, it's €39 per year over here.

Why do I shop online, more generally?
Especially now, when shops have been closed often due to the lockdowns, I was still able to shop what I needed. Lower prices, always. No need to queue outside the shops, wear masks, sanitizing hands, and all these hassles that have really annoyed me.

Last edited:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the fact that if you need to return something you bought off Amazon, you can just drop it off at Kohl's. They take care of the rest.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shop a LOT at Amazon. My husband asked me the other day, "aren't you feeling well, I haven't seen the UPS truck today?!" I like the selection, I can usually get exactly what I want, from light fixtures to vitamins. I don't have to travel from store to store looking. I don't buy clothes from them because sizes vary too much. One thing I really appreciate is that I have never had my Credit Card misused on Amazon. I found out early that ordering from ads on facebook (especially bad), online elsewhere from sites I don't know, and even some mailed fliers are particularly risky. I have had to cancel my credit card several times in the past, but never with Amazon.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shop too much at Amazon - I shouldn't, given my very negative views on capitalism and the wealthy (and Amazon also treats their workers poorly), but it's often the most convenient way to shop, especially in a pandemic, and is cheap. I try to make an effort to shop at small businesses but most times I simply can't afford to shop elsewhere.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Target sucks! They aren't shipping ANYTHING right now! I'm so mad at them. I'll have to try Amazon. Dad heard on the news that Target is trying to get people to come into the stores, so that is why they aren't shipping anything. But that seems dumb, they are going to expose so many more people to Corona by doing that!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just tried their website and shopping was an option for me
Huh. What type of stuff did you put in your cart? They took the shipping option away for everything on my list. I must have 50 things on there.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh. What type of stuff did you put in your cart? They took the shipping option away for everything on my list. I must have 50 things on there.
I know that Walmart (here) does not ship for groceries, but will ship for everything else. Perhaps Target is the same? Do they sell groceries?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just picked a few random things. Kitchen stuff, toys, etc. Anyway send them an email and they should be able to sort things out for you.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I generally love to shop. I don't even have to buy anything, just browsing is enjoyment for me. Well, prior to 2020. Now I do a lot of browsing on Amazon and Walmart, and have ordered from both several times this year. Amazon does have a few grocery items that Walmart also has, but won't ship, like chocolate and my Mocha coffee, so I've gotten them from Amazon. I'm careful to ensure whatever I'm ordering from Amazon is a) in stock, b) eligible for free shipping, and c) shipped by Amazon, and in the case of Walmart. sold and shipped by Walmart. I also read the reviews. Despite the ease of shopping and delivery, I do think once things are normal again, I'll be back to mostly in store shopping, because I do miss it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazon does have a few grocery items that Walmart also has, but won't ship, like chocolate and my Mocha coffee, so I've gotten them from Amazon.
Walmart will ship my cappuccino, but they make you buy 2 or 3 canisters at a time. That is fine if I like the specific flavor, but I only want to buy one when I'm trying out a new flavor.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My grandma was a big qvc shopper before she got older. I have nice sheets she got me there. Some jewelry. Some collectible type stuff. I’ve gotten DH wool socks and things too. It’s been a while; but I still like having them on as background noise.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Walmart will ship my cappuccino, but they make you buy 2 or 3 canisters at a time. That is fine if I like the specific flavor, but I only want to buy one when I'm trying out a new flavor.
I'm usually very careful about quantities when buying online, but really messed up this week. I meant to get a box of 75 Tetley tea bags, but somehow managed to click "150" instead. That's not too bad, but Amazon has a special offer right now, and sent 240 for the price of 150! :paperbag: :thud:Oops. :lol:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to make an effort to shop at small businesses but most times I simply can't afford to shop elsewhere.
On the other hand, I try to avoid shop now.
They make me wait outside, in the cold, possibly rain, or under the scorching sun in summertime, they allow only one or two persons in at the time, want me to wear mask and all.
As long as they keep these rules, my rule is that I won't give them a cent. I know that they didn't set the rule, but I think I'm entitled to have mine.
As a matter of fact, I haven't walked in a shop since early March and haven't visited my hairdresser since February.

Last edited: