Why I shop at Amazon

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Some people give me grief because I shop at Amazon. The thing is, Amazon usually has exactly what I want, for a price I can afford, shipping is free, and my purchase gets here quickly. And I don't have to stand in a blasted line!

This morning, I was out looking for a set of Rubbemaid food containers. Went to Boscov's, a local department store; all they had was their own stuff and it looked a little flimsy. Went to Target and it was completely sold out. Walked over to Kohl's (I really don't like Kohl's) and they had a 38 piece (19 containers/19 lids for $19.99. Not bad, so I picked up two sets. Went to the check-out line and the line had wrapped around to the back of the store. Seriously? It's Monday morning at 10:30. We stood there for a while, until I looked at Rick and said, "I'm not doing this. I'm just not." We put the stuff back and walked out. (And that's why I really don't like Kohl's. Two cashiers? For the entire store? Seriously? Nope, not doing it.)

Went to my local Giant bc I wanted oranges to make my cranberry relish. Checked there, but all Giant had was separate Rubbermaid containers, no sets. Not a paper towel in sight either, nor were there any at Target, but I digress.

Came home, went to Amazon and they had sets of 42-pieces of assorted sizes of Rubbermaid for $19.99, twenty-one containers, twenty-one lids. I bought two sets. They'll be here on Wednesday. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I still continue to shop at Amazon.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people give me grief because I shop at Amazon. The thing is, Amazon usually has exactly what I want, for a price I can afford, shipping is free, and my purchase gets here quickly. And I don't have to stand in a blasted line!

This morning, I was out looking for a set of Rubbemaid food containers. Went to Boscov's, a local department store; all they had was their own stuff and it looked a little flimsy. Went to Target and it was completely sold out. Walked over to Kohl's (I really don't like Kohl's) and they had a 38 piece (19 containers/19 lids for $19.99. Not bad, so I picked up two sets. Went to the check-out line and the line had wrapped around to the back of the store. Seriously? It's Monday morning at 10:30. We stood there for a while, until I looked at Rick and said, "I'm not doing this. I'm just not." We put the stuff back and walked out. (And that's why I really don't like Kohl's. Two cashiers? For the entire store? Seriously? Nope, not doing it.)

Went to my local Giant bc I wanted oranges to make my cranberry relish. Checked there, but all Giant had was separate Rubbermaid containers, no sets. Not a paper towel in sight either, nor were there any at Target, but I digress.

Came home, went to Amazon and they had sets of 42-pieces of assorted sizes of Rubbermaid for $19.99, twenty-one containers, twenty-one lids. I bought two sets. They'll be here on Wednesday. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I still continue to shop at Amazon.
i shop on amazon too for my pen pal supplies like envelopes, stationery and stickers plus maybe some writing pens .... i love that website

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I know what you mean. I don't necessarily WANT to keep making Jeff Bezos the richest man in the world, and the price for Prime keeps going up, but I don't know what a decent alternative is. Local stores are often out of stuff I want, or have ridiculous prices, or are crowded and hot and disorganized, so that's the way things are.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think amazon is so much better than going to the shops my hubby says I'm the only woman that doesn't enjoy shopping. I do enjoy shopping but enjoy it more in warmth and comfort.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I shop with them also. Unapologetically. They sell the Dr. Elsey's dry cat food that Lilith likes. Chewy sells it too but Amazon is usually cheaper and even more so when I use subscribe and save. I love S&S. I have about 50 items on my list. A couple of times a month, I go through them and leave the things I need on there and skip the ones I don't. DD makes a wish list of things she wants and I can go on and order them for gift times.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was looking for storage containers a couple months ago. The guy at the store said they are in short supply because they come from China.

I shop Amazon plenty. We've had some trouble with counterfeit items though. DH goes through a lot of shoes for work so he often buys new ones on Amazon. I don't know how many times we've sent pairs back because they aren't right. Like if you lay a shoe on the table it wobbles. The last pair the inside wasn't flat. We've gotten counterfeit insoles. I'm trying to find a replacement cable for my kindle and apparently those have bad reviews too. Even on the $10 cables.

So it's a love/hate relationship sometimes. I'm tired of worrying about things being counterfeit. It can be hard to tell the difference! But sometimes I find great deals and yeah; it gets here fast. I often buy cat food on there. And I'm looking for new bedding for DD there too. But sometimes I hesitate and just go somewhere local. I think stores are more hectic at the moment because of talks of lockdowns. People are shopping now in case they can't soon. Some stuff isn't cheaper. Especially grocery type items. They had a spice I was looking for that all the local stores were out of. But it was like $8. Nope. I haven't been able to find my coffee syrups; but do I want to pay $20 for a pack of 4? Or $7 for one. That kind of thing is annoying. They are usually good about returns; but should I have to find out what I paid for was a fake?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think amazon is so much better than going to the shops my hubby says I'm the only woman that doesn't enjoy shopping. I do enjoy shopping but enjoy it more in warmth and comfort.
You are not the only woman who doesn't like to stop, I hate it. I shop Amazon, Target, Walmart, Instacart for groceries. Before Covid, I would go into the store, get what I wanted, and get out.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I try to do amazon smile at least, so Lelia's tnr gets a tiny cut.

Yes, always use Amazon Smile to do your Amazon shopping :agree: A small portion of your purchase goes to the charity of your choice. There are lots of animal-related charities listed, from the big well known ones, to small local ones. And charities for lots of other causes, too. Amazon Smile is no different from the main Amazon web site. You just need to log into the Smile specific web site with your Amazon account, https://smile.amazon.com/ Then just shop away 🛍🛒

I shop Amazon plenty. We've had some trouble with counterfeit items though. DH goes through a lot of shoes for work so he often buys new ones on Amazon. I don't know how many times we've sent pairs back because they aren't right. Like if you lay a shoe on the table it wobbles. The last pair the inside wasn't flat. We've gotten counterfeit insoles. I'm trying to find a replacement cable for my kindle and apparently those have bad reviews too. Even on the $10 cables.

I try to buy items that is sold directly by Amazon or by the manufacturer that has an Amazon store front such as this one for compression socks and sleeves and athletic stuff, Zensah: Zensah I try not to buy from third party sellers if possible. Most of the time you're way overpaying the seller to buy the product elsewhere and the item is shipped directly from that other place to you. Products shipped from China take months to arrive, if ever.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I try to buy items that is sold directly by Amazon or by the manufacturer that has an Amazon store front
That’s what he looks for now. But even the last pair of New Balance brand sneakers he got (replacing a pair of the exact same shoe) did not have the same quality. Inside one felt like a wave! We’ve also noticed the quality difference between those and the ones directly purchased from New Balance. It just makes me so skeptical now! 99% of my Amazon purchases are Prime; so they should be coming from them or labeled as fulfilled by them.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Amazon Prime and it's really reasonable monthly fee, plus I have an Amazon Credit card which I earn cash back. I can find so much on Amazon and can also contribute to Amazon Smile. I will check other stores for prices including shipping though.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know what we'd do without Amazon. There are next to no retailers in our town, and few in the entire area; the only two big box stores in the county have electronics and nothing else. The closest city is 38 kilometers/24 miles away, has almost as much traffic as Los Angeles, and very little parking. No way are we going to make that trip to buy a set of sheets or sewing supplies. It was okay when I was working in the city, but now? We have Amazon, and get more than our money's worth out of our Prime membership.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have Prime and it's worth it. For the shipping, for the books, for movies and TV shows. Yes, before I actually buy something, I will look around to see if I can find it cheaper elsewhere. Sometimes I can; most often, I cannot.

I was taking these salmon pills for a while. The first batch I bought from our local natural food store. The second bottle I bought from Amazon. The bottles looked alike and even the pills looked alike. But the second bottle of pills made me very ill and I really think they were fake, from a third seller.

We've never had an order that we've not received, but we did have some orders (the salmon pills) that were questionable. I try to watch what I buy now.

Our biggest problem is that many of the larger stores are no longer in our area: Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Penny's, BonTon, Sears, Macy's, etc. They're gone, not within a 60-mile radius anymore. And if I want something from JCP, I always have to pay for shipping. Since I retired, I don't buy much in the way of clothes anymore, but there are still things that I need.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I HATE shopping!! My Christmas shopping has been all done on line, groceries have been too (Since the virus numbers are climbing again). I use Amazon, but check other sites before ordering. For example, my grand daughter wanted something for Christmas that was $20 on Amazon. I found the exact same thing. same brand, new, in package on Ebay for $4.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I HATE shopping!! My Christmas shopping has been all done on line, groceries have been too (Since the virus numbers are climbing again). I use Amazon, but check other sites before ordering. For example, my grand daughter wanted something for Christmas that was $20 on Amazon. I found the exact same thing. same brand, new, in package on Ebay for $4.
I will often check Ebay too before I buy on Amazon

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just made my first ever purchase on Amazon last week! And I have a purchase ready to go (in my cart) from Walmart, just waiting to see if I need to add to it before I place the order. I don't have anything against Amazon overall, I just don't like online shopping that much. I don't trust what I'm going to end up with. And I know Amazon has really good return policies, but I really don't want to have to deal with with that.
I'll never buy clothes or footwear online, I need to be able to try stuff on and feel the fabric. But this year, I have decided to get some of my Christmas purchases online...I guess we'll see how it goes.
I have made sure though, that everything that I purchase either from Amazon or other online platform is sold and shipped from them directly, no third party sellers.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate shopping and have done only online shopping for years. Amazon literally has everything I could ever want. I don't pay for Prime but I still get my stuff really quickly without it.