Why I haven't been around...(or dealing with diagnosis)

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't been around a whole lot for the last month or so. I've been reading, but not posting a whole lot. Life changes can do that.

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis on June 12 (the month leading up to that was tests, tests, and more tests). I've been in an MS exacerbation or flare since about mid-May. I underwent a dose of IV cortisteriods last Friday through Monday, which threw my body all out of whack since that ended while my body processes the steriods out of my system. This is supposed to knock down the symptoms for up to 6-9 months by itself.

If you don't know, and I know many don't, MS is an autoimmune disorder where the body attacks the myelin, or fatty "insulation" surrounding the nerves in the brain and spinal cord. The result is that the messages get all messed up and the body does strange stuff - like vertigo, balance issues, muscle twitches or tingles or numbness or tightness (or all of the above), cognitive impairment (I've seen it referred to as "cog fog" because it feels like your head is in a fog), and all kinds of other nasty stuff in the more advanced cases.

MS is as individual as the people it affects. Because you're dealing with the brain, and different parts of the brain and spine being affected in every person, it's nearly impossible to give any kind of prognosis especially in the early stages. I have "RRMS" or Remit Relapse MS. In this type, a person can go years - DECADES - without a serious relaplse. Or a person could progress very rapidly. It's a roulette wheel where you can end up.

I just wanted to let everyone know what's going on with me.
I've been trying to wrap my head around the fact that this is part of me now. Life changing to a point - definitely made me appreciate things I have been taking for granted. Can't live life around MS, but you have to have the plans for the "just in case" happens.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you are lucky and have a long time before another attack.
My friend has the progressive type

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like that word, "DECADES." Let's plan and vibe and pray for decades and decades of remission for you, hon.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My aunt's sister has MS and has had it for YEARS. I will find one once I go over and see how she is hanging in there.

It is not easy, but you will just have to take it one day at a time. Let's hope that you won't have to worry for a long time.
Hang in there! We are all here for you.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MS is a horrid condition to live with. But I have a friend who has had it for nearly thirty years and has had long periods of remission. I hope for many years of health for you.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My next door neighbor was diagnosed with MS about a year ago. It got very bad, very fast. I expect she will be in a wheelchair by autumn.

I hope and pray that you will be in remission for a long, long time.

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mother has MS as well so I know all too well how very difficult it can be to deal with. Take good care of yourself and all the best!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Heidi... I'm so sorry you're going through this.
I agree that we're all behind you and will always be here for you.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i've never talked to you on here but my thoughts and prayers are with you for a loooonngg and happy remission and lots of for handling your MS I had a family member with it and I know it will be tough but it seems that you have a lot of friends who are behind you through it

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good vibes!

We've had several friends and acquaintances with MS over the years, and, of course, we all know Annette Funicello and Neil Cavuto (Fox Business News) have it and are helping to fund research.