Why Go Vegetarian?

mommysmeows

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I eat meat maybe... once a month, if that.

I used to be full-blown veg-head myself but... when I got pregnant with my 2nd child at 21 years old I craved it and I about ran over my friend to get his hamburger and I have been eating meat ever since :p

I do agree though - Veg is better. You can get everything you need in food if you pick and choose right.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love vegetables but I would never consider being a vegetarian.

I believe in everything in moderation. If we stopped eating everything "they" say isn't good for us we wouldn't be eating anything much at all. And then next week "they" would say, oops, we were wrong about product A, but find now that product B is bad. A person could find information to back up whatever their own thoughts are if they want to look - that doesn't mean it's all true.

I do think health is partially tied up in what food you eat though, i.e., if I ate at McDonald's every day I don't think I would be very healthy. Even the salad dressings are full of preservatives which I don't want to eat - I'll make my own dressings from scratch without the preservatives.

Balance IMO is what is important and less preservatives and pre-prepared food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Oh, and I've heard of people that are vegetarian diets having gallbladder problems, too. It seems that its something that some of us are just prone to getting.
Really? I have never even heard of Gallbladder stones before. A friend of mine had kidney stones, said they hurt
They didn't eat very good, but the main thing was they stressed like crazy. I still stand by eating better can and does make a difference in total health
It is something within our control, we control what we put into our bodies. We can't control genetics.
Eating better (more healthy, well balanced in real foods, less processed, no fast foods/sodas, etc.) is a no brainer for me, why not, when the benefits are so huge health wise if you do if right with a bit of effort? An added bonus is that I actually find fruits and vegs tasty! Many don't as much.
And many just can't be bothered, which is too bad. On my SO's side one has lost a large percentage of their kidneys due to not eating correctly (type 2 diabetes). There is a also a co-worker I have that ate too much meat and had health problems from it. They are still meat crazy but try to be a better about it.
And I am not a vegetarian, I just eat a lot of fruits and vegs (hooked on them as Lore said) and still eat meat products (not often eggs, fish (at least once a week), not often milk, cheese, rarely turkey chicken) but haven't eaten pork, beef, lamb, etc. in decades. I won't ever go totally veg, but I do like the concept and like reading about it and studying it and I think a lot of people would benefit from less meat and more fruits and vegs. Less processed foods, more real foods. I understand also not everyone has access to a well balanced diet of fresh foods, like whole grains, nuts, seeds, fruits and vegs but those that do should take advantage of that.
I think a lot of people in today's society would be eating a lot less meat if they were the ones at the slaughterhouse preparing the animals, if they saw how the animals lived before hand and what goes into it. They would at least go organic! lol. Mostly consumers have no idea as they pick up that small package of meat at the store or eat that premade burger what really happened to that animal, they don't want to know either. Just a non-issue. Meat scares happen all the time, more often than you hear of veg scares, mostly due to improper handling. But of course that alone is not a reason to give it up completely, but it might be to some.

Originally Posted by Yosemite

..less preservatives and pre-prepared food.
Yes, this would be good.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Funny story (too me)

When i was a kid maybe 5/6 possibly 7 i was quite underweight (you wouldnt believe it now lol
)

But i decided i wanted to become a veggitarian and my mum and dad were worried i would lose more weight or not get enough nurtirents or some thing , so my dear mum told me if i became vegitarian i couldnt eat chocolate or crisps , and being a kid i fell for it lol..

I personally now am tempted to become a vegitiarian(man i cant spell ) but i have not got the will power

But i think its great for people who are , (by the way some times i can go a week without meat because i love quorn meat lol)
Jess x

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lore

& ya... when there was that Tomato scare... I love my tomato's... I never got sick from that, & I buy lots of bags of baby spinich for me, my family and my bearded dragon... none of us are ill
Careful with the spinach for your beardie, it's high in oxalates and goitrogens making it more of a treat food.
Have you seen this site?

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...Nutrition.html
Mustard, collard, and turnip greens are great staples. If you can find or grow them, dandelion greens are another well balanced one. Look up edible weeds - I use several for my turtles because they're better then "grocery store" greens.

Originally Posted by cococat

think a lot of people in today's society would be eating a lot less meat if they were the ones at the slaughterhouse preparing the animals, if they saw how the animals lived before hand and what goes into it.
I've always lived in a rural community, currently I live next to a pasture. There was a feed lot right outside of the town I grew up in. I agree the feed lots are rather gross... too many animals in too small of a space
-but not all of the ranchers here use those.

I don't really see how the animals are raised as being wrong, where else would you keep cattle but on several acres of land?
Longhorn and bison are also common in this state so maybe my perception is off - though Oklahoma is a big beef producer.

As for the "veg scares" it's not improper handling, it's workers pooping in the fields.
All that really reinforces is that it's best to buy local or grow your own.

The person I knew had been a vegetarian 15 years but still had problems with gallstones. No idea if she ate fried foods. She didn't eat fish, eggs, or dairy - I remember that.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Studies have found that beta-carotene (in carrots) can increase your chances of getting cancer. The risk is negligible unless you're addicted to carrots or beta-carotene supplements, but I hate carrots so I use it as an excuse not to eat them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can clearly see alot of side to the issues...

One my grandma ate a high fat and high cholesterol diet her whole life and died at 85 ...

I was a nutritional science major in college and can tell you most of it is archaic and should be used causiously

Diet plays a huge role with me being alive but it was not the tradional healthy diet ... It is based on a program used at Johns hopkins to this day

I can not eat a vegitarian only diet but for some think it is a great thing done and researched properly ... ie salad two times a day wont work

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just know it's a lot healthier for the animals I'm no longer eating.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Careful with the spinach for your beardie, it's high in oxalates and goitrogens making it more of a treat food.
Have you seen this site?

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...Nutrition.html
Mustard, collard, and turnip greens are great staples. If you can find or grow them, dandelion greens are another well balanced one. Look up edible weeds - I use several for my turtles because they're better then "grocery store" greens.
... thank you for your concern. My 8 year old Beardie is very well cared for by a very well educated owner that has owned various reptiles that does her research & provides her with a balanced diet... the beardie was included as to mean she has consumed the same greens as we have.

(now back to the topic)

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

Yep,

its sad really man can not live on prime rib alone
Ahahahahaahahahaha!!!
I do wish sometimes though...my pocket book couldn't afford it, either that the cats would have to hunt mice if I did!

On a serious note, I too have health issues that are aided more by eating balanced, rather than trying to stick with a vegan type diet...

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've always lived in a rural community, currently I live next to a pasture. There was a feed lot right outside of the town I grew up in. I agree the feed lots are rather gross... too many animals in too small of a space
-but not all of the ranchers here use those.

I don't really see how the animals are raised as being wrong, where else would you keep cattle but on several acres of land?
Longhorn and bison are also common in this state so maybe my perception is off - though Oklahoma is a big beef producer.
I wonder if we grew up in the same town?

You should keep animals on land, with access to fresh grass in season and space to roam, letting them raise their own calves. But that cuts into profit margins, to be natural. So most mass producers don't do this at all. Instead, the cows live their lives overcrowded or cramped in warehouses with concrete or mud and overseen by people who are don't usually put the needs to the animals first, it is about profit and speed.

There is a big difference between raising cows naturally and farming the cows for meat or milk in mass numbers for only profit.
Like you, I still do and have always lived in a rural community. Right now I am staring out a window at several horses in a pasture and beyond that a cow pasture, this is my norm.
I also know this as I was raised within walking distance of my grandparents, who owned a working dairy farm and also produced meat. The land is still in the family and the cows are still fed. I have seen the difference personally. And all the family members of mine can taste the difference as well.

I don't eat cows and haven't for decades, but I do drink milk and eat cheese and eat other meat, like fish. My family eats beef. I do care about what hormones, chemicals were pumped into the cows, I care that they are given room to roam and not just crammed into a small space treated like they are not living beings, and I care about the genetics behind the cow too, for instance, I don't care for genetically modified meat. What I was just saying is that many people who eat these meats don't see what goes on behind the scenes when they pick up that neatly packaged pound of meat in the clean grocery store, if they did, they might make difference choices.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

Ahahahahaahahahaha!!!
I do wish sometimes though...my pocket book couldn't afford it, either that the cats would have to hunt mice if I did!

On a serious note, I too have health issues that are aided more by eating balanced, rather than trying to stick with a vegan type diet...
I am all for a balanced diet as well, that means many different things to many different people though. My view of that is lots of fruits, vegetables, organic when possible, whole grains and proteins in the form of nuts, seeds, beans, and fish and dairy like organic cottage cheese. I am all for more whole foods. I agree with Swampwitch, last time she posted about what she ate. But I love reading about vegan diets and all diets and thought it was interesting.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

One my grandma ate a high fat and high cholesterol diet her whole life and died at 85 ...
We grew up on a farm and ate the foods we grew or raised. One of my favourite things which I can no longer get at the store is the pork skin on a pork roast. I would bake that up nice and crisp, put some salt on it and crunch away. We ate a lot of pork and beef on the farm but we also ate plenty of vegetables. We rarely ate salads. My grandparents also lived to a ripe old age on a high fat and cholesterol diet.

I've eaten a high fat and cholesterol diet my whole life and have had no serious health issues. In fact my cholesterol levels are great. I refuse to eat margarine - it's not a natural food. Butter is my choice and I use at least 1 lb per week and often more. I use it for frying my steaks and pork tenderloin and always add a tablespoon or more to my pies. It also helps the cream sauce thicken for the pork tenderloin medallions.

I don't and won't eat at McDonalds or any fast-food restaurant. I'm 62 years old and I still wear a size 4. Do I think that genetics plays a part in that? You bet I do.

I believe it is imperative that we eat a well-balanced diet with no pre-packaged/additive filled/flavour enhanced/preservatives added foods, which is what I endeavour to feed me and my family. I've always discouraged drinking colas and soft drinks and eating too many chips/tortillas chips, etc.

My friend was going overboard with soy milk and ended up with high potassium levels and her doctor told her to stop drinking it for awhile so I say everything in moderation and use common sense and you should be fine.

ancientsanskrit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In TX, but will always be a Michigan-boy.
Been a veggie for almost 9 years now. If you think you can't get enough nutritional content from avoiding meats, you're kidding yourself. I've seen a lot of people attempt excluding meat from their diet only to have it crash horribly in their face! I will say this though, if you can't cook worth squat, don't try it. You have to be pretty creative.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cococat - Where did you grow up at? I've honestly never seen cattle kept any other way then how they are here in the Midwest. We have so much space here that is would be a bit ridiculous not to use it. I have noticed, with beef, that some does taste better then others. Meat that comes from around this area and has primarily been kept on pastures (aside from some feed lots) tastes a lot better and is leaner. The prepackaged frozen patties that come from Eastern states taste awful - you have to char the stuff over a fire to make it edible.

I'm not really into the whole organic meats trend. Extra hormones are bad, but if that includes denying the animals vaccinations, worming, antibiotics, flea/tick/fly meds that all make their lives more bearable (the basic vet care that none of us would deny our pets), then it's a bit wrong.

I've now moved across town, but I can still see cattle from the back driveway and someone a few blocks over has chickens
. I could never live in a big city.

Originally Posted by Yosemite

I've eaten a high fat and cholesterol diet my whole life and have had no serious health issues. In fact my cholesterol levels are great. I refuse to eat margarine - it's not a natural food. Butter is my choice and I use at least 1 lb per week and often more. I use it for frying my steaks and pork tenderloin and always add a tablespoon or more to my pies. It also helps the cream sauce thicken for the pork tenderloin medallions.
Your food sounds delicious... but I know exactly what it would do to me.
I have problems with the authentic Italian food restaurant in town because she cooks with a lot of butter and oil - and her food tastes so good.