Why don't rivel recognize silver after spay surgery?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Long story short silver was spayed last friday, due to circumstances, my house had emergency construction and i deciced to let silver stay in the hospital until the construction is finished. It's been 5 days and i finally got silver back home. Now rivel is acting like the first time they met again, maybe slightly worse because she started to avoid me too.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
It's all because they smell different. Cats rely on scent to help recognize each other, so if a cat in the house all of a sudden smells different, then they feel like it's a "new" cat.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, like Mr. Meow Mr. Meow posted, Silver has all new smells to her. Do you have anything that Silver laid on frequently and maybe rub her with that to get her "old" scent back?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, like Mr. Meow Mr. Meow posted, Silver has all new smells to her. Do you have anything that Silver laid on frequently and maybe rub her with that to get her "old" scent back?
They have been sharing beds and scratching post, so there are no rivel specific or silver specific stuff.

Also silver still has her cone, might be triggering Rivel's ptsd when she used a cone too.😅

Should i do a re-introduction and separating them or let them be ?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have been sharing beds and scratching post, so there are no rivel specific or silver specific stuff.

Also silver still has her cone, might be triggering Rivel's ptsd when she used a cone too.😅

Should i do a re-introduction and separating them or let them be ?
I would let them be. You might be right about the cone. Rivel might be freaked about the cone.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Now rivel won't eat again. I super hate it when she has fasting tantrum like this.

🙄

You don't know how stressed and tired i am girl. Sure add to my list of stress.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now rivel won't eat again. I super hate it when she has fasting tantrum like this.

🙄

You don't know how stressed and tired i am girl. Sure add to my list of stress.
At least you know it won't last and it's just her being a diva.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Silver probably smells like the vet, and once that's gone they'll probably be back to normal.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's called "non recognition aggression". Here's a TCS article:

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Consider a onesie instead of a cone after spay? No cone to worry about and no one messes with the incision..

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe try rubbing them both with one of their previously shared items? When does the cone come off?:vibes::vibes::hangin:
Friday. I will go to the vet at morning before going to work if not, the afternoon.

Rivel is still in tantrum mode. Hissing to me both and silver, altho she still loves me i think since she's cuddling on my foot this morning when i woke up. I separate them when i am not around also to prevent silver from jumping from too high places.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friday. I will go to the vet at morning before going to work if not, the afternoon.

Rivel is still in tantrum mode. Hissing to me both and silver, altho she still loves me i think since she's cuddling on my foot this morning when i woke up. I separate them when i am not around also to prevent silver from jumping from too high places.
Maybe the ceiling falling down, the construction work, Silver leaving for a week, having to spend time in an unfamiliar room, etc all got to her since it all happened at the same time. She might be stressed and acting out but still obviously needing comfort since she cuddles with you still. Almost like, "Dad, you are to blame for all of this but please protect me too." :lol:

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe the ceiling falling down, the construction work, Silver leaving for a week, having to spend time in an unfamiliar room, etc all got to her since it all happened at the same time. She might be stressed and acting out but still obviously needing comfort since she cuddles with you still. Almost like, "Dad, you are to blame for all of this but please protect me too." :lol:
I mean it really worries me because she's barely eating. I usually feed her arouns 170 gr of wet food and a kibble snack at midnight, today she probably eat less than half of that. It's basically the same thing as a month ago, but possibly worse since she growls at me. She never does that, only to silver when silver first came home. She wasn't this stressed when she stayed in the spare room. Eat as usual, play as usual, cuddles with me albeit missing his usual place.

I guess the living room smela different too (because of traffic ) when she got out. I keep the spare room door open and i still sleep there anyway since the paint still smells.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well rivel woke me up at 2 am and devoured almost a full can of fancy feast. So she does get angry. Seems still mad tho lol. She prefer sleeping upstairs now and went back up after eating.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Silver's cone is out. Still no change from rivel. She still treat silver like a stranger and it's just heartbreaking.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will just all take time, I remember my Mollie hissing and avoiding her son for quite a while after he was in the hospital. It took at least a week for her to stop hissing. Get some Hartz Delectable Lickables in the stew, or Fancy Feast broths. They are at Walmart, Target, and dollar general. Greta fro cats who won't eat, they seem to always eat those! if she is eating again, that is great, I hope she keeps it up!