why don't kittens like catnip?

chloe111

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone knew why kittens don't like catnip like adult cats do. Is it because it is too much for their bodies to handle and nature's way of teeling them to leave it alone?

robin alves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My kitten is now 6 months old and he has been getting a little cat nip since he was 2 and half months old. He loves it and I know other people with kittens that like it also. Sorry no help here.

Robin

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different. I have 7 cats and they all LOVE catnip. Some could take it or leave it. It depends on the individual cat.

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by donna
Every cat is different. I have 7 cats and they all LOVE catnip. Some could take it or leave it. It depends on the individual cat.
Same here; some of our cats love it and others could care less about it. Same thing applies to people and our vices.

Pete

midnightbride

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know I read something several years ago that said a certain percentage of cats (20%?) don't respond to catnip. I had a Siamese that did not respond and all the other cats loved it. She would just look at it like it was dirt or something and walk away. Apparently, some cats just don't get the same effect - I guess like some people don't like alcohol!

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there, I also have cats who aren't bothered by cat-nip, when I looked into it , apparently kittens under 6 months generally don't respond to it (there are always exceptions though), but as was said above, about 20% don't respond, so I tried Cat-mint, and cat-barley (I bought a pack to grow my own from a "cat-a-logue"), and that seems to have the same effect as the catnip should!! Very amusing!

:laughing: :laughing2

suzerq98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a coincidence! I read today that cats are between the ages of 6 and 9 months before they respond to catnip. Maybe something to do with the maturity of their central nervous system? My Sosa loves it, but Mac acts as if it's not even there. I'll give him another 3 months and then we'll see.

smiles,
sue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloe111

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah b/c my 2 cats didn't like catnip as kittens but go ballistic over it now. Weird!!