Why Don't I Hear About Tidy Cat Litter Here?

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been on this site for quite a while (a few months...) but I never hear anyone recommending Tidy Cat litter, or even really saying they use it and love it. I hear a ton about crystals, walnut, corncob, paper, etc. But I don't really hear about Tidy Cat. Is there a reason for this?

I've been using the Tidy Cat clumping red lid since I got my boys 7 months ago, and have loved the odor control, low-tracking, and strong clumps (Not that I have anything to compare my observations too, since it's the only one I've used). But since I never hear about it on here, is there something I don't know? Are there better (while also being price comparable AND clumping) options out there? I'm down to just one 40lb tub after getting a bunch on black friday for super cheap. If I'm going to switch, now is the time to start thinking about it.

I'm reluctant to change the boys' litter, since they've done so well with it, but if there's an economical alternative that's better, I'm willing to give it a go. Any thoughts?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Tidy Cats and definitely recommend it. It's in my top 2 favorite litter brands along with Fresh Step. It clumps like a champ, has very low dust and is fantastic with odor control. I have recommended it many times on this site and will continue to. My favorite thing about Black Friday is that TC goes on sale at Petsmart for $8.99 for a 35 pound pail. In my world, Black Friday means stock up on Tidy Cats day. I also like that the pail can be repurposed for other things.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had considered trying it if I was going to use a clay based litter but I'm using grass because my girl has some respiratory issues so I need something with very minimal dust. I think I've heard good things about Tidy Cat on these forums before though. I say if it's working for you then that's all that matters! I can only recommend grass which is definitely not cheaper than clay.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Since I got Charlie, he’s been using the same brand and type of litter he had at the shelter (standard, clumping clay). That being said, I cat-sat for a kitty who used Tidy Cats, and I definitely liked the “feel” of it when I was scooping, especially since it’s low dust. I was considering changing to Tidy Cats for Charlie, but decided not to, but only because he likes his current litter.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is really interesting, I still have a couple empty buckets from back when I was buying tidy cat. I don't remember any longer why I stopped, maybe I was swayed by arm n hammers baking soda additive at the time. However, I'm not liking how a&h is sticking to his paws lately (reading lots of similar complaints elsewhere)... By golly, maybe I'll try TC again :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used Tidy Cat red or blue for all of my girls 13 years and for my cats before that when I lived at home and my parents did the shopping. It's dusty in my laundry room (I have a black dryer and it's not a big room.) but it works and the girls like it. We tried a different scent in the lightweight once and someone didn't like that. :rolleyes: Even though we slowly changed it.

It's been a consistent product for many years. Of the 8 cats between my mother's and my own only 1 ever did not like it. I know many people look for alternatives so they can move away from clay; but it I won't even go there having a selective cat in the house. Maybe if we ever have kittens or a new cat down the road; but even after reading so many threads here I'm not sure what I would try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, thank you everyone for your replies! They're giving me renewed faith in my choice of litter. I had tried a quick search on Tidy Cat on this site before posting, but most of the mentions I found were about how dusty it was (which I haven't found to be true in my apartment), or how they were switching to another, etc. I'm glad most people don't think it's terrible.

I know I'm new to owning cats, and so also new to choosing litter, so I just wanted to make sure I was doing okay by my boys. The only other litter I've even seen is the stuff used in the shelter I volunteer at, which is a non-clumping, very dusty thing (but our turn-over rate is fantastic, so most cats aren't using it long-term), so I'm always grateful to hear other people's opinions. Ya'll are the best community! :hearthrob:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Tidy Cats is considered "standard" and not many people are going to post about it if the standard litter is working for them ;). It's only if their cat develops an allergy or something that they need to post about it. So that's probably why you don't see many posts.

I use TC, among others. I like the black lid best. I noticed they just came out with an unscented version so I should give that a try.

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My dad uses TC and enjoys it, as does my grandmother. I, however, switched to corn (I'm still searching for the perfect litter lol) because the dust from clay litters irritate me and make Ares sneeze. I like the corn because it clumps like clay and there's no dust, but it does seem to track a little more than clay litters. I tried to switch him to pine, but he doesn't seem to like it lol. Which is too bad because it seems to be the most economical and low maintenance choice.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer 40 pound boxes of litter instead of the plastic buckets. Tidy Cats does have a 40 pound box, but it's more expensive. I'd buy it if I had a good coupon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whoops M maggiedemi , by 40lb tub, I meant 35lb plastic tub... forgot to check the weight. Yes, the plastic ones are cheaper than the 40lb boxes, which is why I buy them. I emailed my local recycling when I moved to my city and they said they don't recycle the plastic tubs, but I can drop them off at their recycling hub because they use them for other purposes, such as cleaning supplies or something else. I do wish they were recyclable though. When I lived in Europe for 5 years, recycling was such a big deal (our neighbors would call us out if we put one item in the wrong bin!), so being conscious of recycling has just stuck with me through my life.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, right now I would have to use 24 of those plastic buckets per year. I just don't know what I would do with that many plastic buckets.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I lived in town I'd just put them out on the curb a few days before garbage day. They were always gone the next day ;). I guess somebody found them useful. Now the recycling center takes them so that's how I get rid of them. But yeah, I wish they had more options in a cardboard box. I don't like using that much plastic :/.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tidy Cats is definitely my favorite clay litter. But I hate clay litters in general simply because of the smell and the dust. Tidy Cats is much better in those areas than other clay litters I've tried, but the problems are still there. I prefer wood pellets, personally.

Tidy Cats is still my go-to for cleaning up garage spills, though. Very absorbent and easy to sweep up, much better than garage sand. Also handy to keep in the trunk of the car during winter; weighs down my rear axle and can be used as traction sand!

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By far my favorite litter, my family has used it for years! We tried more expensive brands and TC always works better. One big thing I notice is that the smell directly after they use the bathroom is really minimal compared to other brands. And it clumps like a dream for our Litter Robot.

lookitsria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had Sasha for like 5 months now and use Fresh Step... and my my lawd the dust!!! The bathroom is always covered in a layer of dust no matter how much I clean. And she manages to get it EVERYWHERE. It's all over the house. I just bought the new one that's "no tracking" or whatever and just waiting to change the litter box to try it. If that doesn't work- I'm gonna try Tidy Cats!! lol

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My fav litter is Tidy Cats. I use the clumping of course with either the multiple cats or immediate odor control. Whichever is on sale the week I buy it.

When I can't get Tidy Cats though I also love Hartz' clumpling litter scented in lavender. Just wish Tidy Cats had one in lavender. The lavender scent is light for the cats but its very soothing and makes the litter box area smell nice.