Why does ʻUlu whine like a guinea pig/monkey?

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've been scratching our heads about this since we started letting ʻUlu out of his bedroom. He'll wander around making whining "ooo-OOOO, oo-OOOO" sounds, like a cross between a guinea pig and a monkey. He seems to make it pretty much any time he is on the move, whether it is exploring or playing. Lately I think he's using it more to announce himself when he's about to come downstairs or if he's calling for someone.

I've sort of got a video of him wandering by and making the sound in the background—if you turn the volume up you'll be able to hear him go by (sorry, this is the best I've been able to get of him making the noise!). I think he was calling for Radish in the foreground this time (it was wrestle time).

Anyone else has a cat that does this sound instead of the usual range of cat sounds? Also, why does he whine instead of meow? I accept it as a cute quirk of his (and he can actually meow, although it's rare--I think he's done it maybe five times since we brought him home), but it's kind of strange to hear. Someone once told me that tailless cats tend to be more vocal because they can't express themselves with their tail, but I thought "more vocal" meant a higher propensity towards meowing, not wailing.

(His nickname is Wahhmbulance!)

D1031706-6E35-4B49-8BF5-D71BA5EB4475.jpeg

ʻUlu on the left, Radish on the right!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm I forgot that the video is only recording one type of his whines. He does make another kind that sounds more like a monkey hooting softly. Either way, neither of them sound like a standard meow!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The noise Ulu makes is kind of hard to hear in the video, but it sounds more to me like 'squeaks' (maybe like monkey chirps?) - and, I have heard similar noises from other cats. I do think it could be his calling out to you or Radish. Since he does meow, it is probably just a quirk as you said. It looks as if Ulu is older, and you just recently got him? If that is the case, who knows how he might have picked up that noise somewhere in his past. I have heard that one of the more vocal cats - a Japanese bobtail (very short rabbit-like tail) - can make a wide range of sounds, one of which is a chirping noise.

Feeby, who was around 2 at the time she found us, does not meow at all, but rather 'squawks' (I don't have a video of it). I have always just assumed that she never 'learned' how to meow!?!? She has different variations of that 'squawk' depending on what her intent is (announcing herself vs. complaining, for example) - but, she does have a tail! ;)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd go with trying to get your attention or look OJ ng for you. Cats dont meow as a natural habit outside of caring for kittens. Kitten meow for mom or mom for kittens. Growling and hissing is a natural behavior to warn or scare others. Meows though tend to be a human centric behavior learned as something that gets a response. Cats who didn't grow up around humans can have some different sounding meows since they weren't taught how to talk to humans by other cats.

My moms cat does a soft rolling chirp when he wants something but he was an only cat and was rarely away from my mom as a baby. He didn't have to meow loudly to get attention. He also has an excited chirp when he sees the treat jar.

My girl has a broken frog croak of a meow. She was feral and didn't interact with humans for the first three months. Once she joined our home she did interact with other cats but somehow furys chirps and Links classic meowing resulted in a broken croak. It's really funny coming from her because she looks little and dainty. I've taken all three to the vet and not been believed when I identify her meow from a distance because it seriously doesn't fit her.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a huge variety in the way that cats vocalize. My Willow rarely meows but instead does either a close mouthed whine when she communicates with me, or a variety of howls, yowls, chirps and hisses when she is playing or being silly. There is also the “where are you?” call that a mom does to round up kittens and all cats seem to adopt especially as they get older.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy does very similar, over dramatic whine. Usually when he looks for another cat or when she doesn’t want to play with him.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been scratching our heads about this since we started letting ʻUlu out of his bedroom. He'll wander around making whining "ooo-OOOO, oo-OOOO" sounds, like a cross between a guinea pig and a monkey. He seems to make it pretty much any time he is on the move, whether it is exploring or playing. Lately I think he's using it more to announce himself when he's about to come downstairs or if he's calling for someone. ...
How long has he been let out of the bedroom? Is it just a matter of days or several weeks? It may be he is still trying to get the lay of the land, or at least an awareness of the regular, routinized locations of the humans and the other cat in the house on a daily basis.

Also, our cat Milly has a variety of conversations or meows or noises, but we are regularly a talkative household and it just fits our pattern in general as a "family" unit. We've learned to recognize what each type of meow or sound means from Milly. Do you guys talk a lot in your household? He could just be trying to contribute to the communications. :)