Why Does This Stray’s Sneezing And Runny Nose Don’t Ever Fo Away?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He lives in my condominium but not one of the cats I take care of so I don’t have all the information. There’s like an unwritten rule where the cat spends most of his time in the condo, the people there take care of them. And in fact this woman gave him a round of antibiotics at least twice that I know of but he still sneezes, still green mucus. The most I have seen him go at least without sneezing was two weeks in the last 12 months. He eats normal. He doesn’t seem to have lethargy not noticeable at least. And most cats around didn’t catch the same thing from him. It’s just him like that. What’s going on?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a difficult one especially since the antibiotics he received didn't help. Can you tell, is he able to maintain his normal weight?
I think he’s a little underweight but not much. I just found a picture of him on my phone. The weight isn’t noticeable though

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's looking ok so far, I hope that the lady who has been giving him antibiotics can find something else that will tackle his issue :vibes::crossfingers:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not a vet - - but it sounds like it could be a few things. One likely one is an upper respiratory infection. Cats with upper respiratory infections (URI) generally show the symptoms this kitty is showing (similar to a cold in a human). A runny or stuffy nose, often accompanied by sneezing and a discharge that can range between clear to yellow-green from the kitty's nose and/or eyes (which, just like a human, can make it harder to breathe), sometimes you can even hear them breathe more than usual, and usually lack of appetite, lethargy, and even trouble eating (since sometimes it's accompanied by ulcers in their mouth). They also can become dehydrated, particularly if they have a fever. I know the cutie you've got in your condo area doesn't look super thin, but it's a little hard to tell from the pic. It sounds like you and this other tenant keep an eye on him, so you'd likely know if he seemed extra lethargic or wasn't eating.

Kitties can also get feline herpes virus (FHV) - in fact a lot of cats get FHV at some point, and then become carriers, but show no symptoms. However, they can still pass it along to other kitties that they come into contact with. One of our TNR kitties that still hangs in our yard is a "herpes kitty" - with a constantly runny eye - but getting him into a vet isn't an option. We give him L-Lysine - - which isn't an antibiotic it's a probiotic, but the theory behind it is tat it helps boost his immune system so he can fight it as much as possible. But it doesn't cure him of it.

Do you know what antibiotic your condo friend gave the kitty - and for how long? Any antibiotic for a URI needs to be given for the full time that the doctor suggest. Just a few doses don't do much. So if he didn't get the full number of doses, it probably didn't clear it from his system.

Is it at all possible to get him into a carrier so he could be taken to a vet and checked over? That's obviously best if possible! And even if he's feral and fearful of everyone but you and te person giving him the antibiotics, some vets will still look at him and treat it if possible - - but I'd check wit them first. Some vets just won't take on a feral/semi-kitty.

Keep us posted!!!!!!! And fingers crossed he gets better soon!!!!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ideally he should be taken to a vet. Since he's a stray and not a feral, maybe he won't even need to be trapped, but can be placed in a pet carrier? Is there anyone willing to take him? The vet could give him an antibiotic shot (Convenia). This is a long lasting shot that should clear up the infection. The only problem is that it's expensive--about $65 dollars, so maybe oral antibiotics are the only feasible option. But at least a vet could determine the best antibiotic to give him. He should also be given a SNAP test (test for for Feline Leukemia and Feline AIDS (FIV).) FIV can cause a cat to have frequent and chronic infections. There is also a condition where a cat suffers from chronic upper respiratory infections. My cat Leo has had this condition for the past 6 years. Despite frequent rounds of antibiotics, he gets these infections continuously. This is more common in older cats, but I suppose possible in younger ones. I hope this poor kitty can get veterinary treatment, then get neutered, then find a good forever home. Thanks for helping this kitty!

Last edited:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats with upper respiratory infections (URI) generally show the symptoms this kitty is showing (similar to a cold in a human). A runny or stuffy nose, often accompanied by sneezing and a discharge that can range between clear to yellow-green from the kitty's nose and/or eyes (which, just like a human, can make it harder to breathe), sometimes you can even hear them breathe more than usual, and usually lack of appetite, lethargy, and even trouble eating (since sometimes it's accompanied by ulcers in their mouth).
I definitely think it's some kind of URI as well, I'm just super confused which kind. It never really heals, sneezing and mucus are there, but he has no lack of appetite nor extreme lethargy nor hiding. He even went after this moody stray once to pick up a yelling-match.

FIV can cause a cat to have frequent and chronic infections. There is also a condition where a cat suffers from chronic upper respiratory infections. My cat Leo has had this condition for the past 6 years. Despite frequent rounds of antibiotics, he gets these infections continuously. This is more common in older cats, but I suppose possible in younger ones.
He might be an older stray! I mean to me he looks older than at least 6 but maybe because he's sick and his face looks sick all the time. :( I guess it is Chronic URI. Is the chronic part contagious too? That's a big concern for me. Occasionally he walks around the 3 strays in my yard (+ my Hima). They didn't catch anything from him in over a year despite being around his mucus but I'm still scared. One vet told me though the strays and indoor-outdoor cats who are around strays are usually more immune to things like that as they get "naturally" vaccinated. But unclear if she was talking about evidence or just personal impression as a vet.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the other cats have received their FVRCP shot, they will have some immunity from URI's. If they do catch it, it will be a mild case. Even if they only received the initial vaccine and not the booster 3 weeks later, they will have some protection.

Is there a reason this cat can't be brought to a vet? FIV is a real possibility, and that is transmitted by bite wounds. If he gets into fights with other cats, and bites them, they will get infected. If he has FIV and is getting frequent infections, and no one is willong to adopt him and bring him inside, euthanasia is the kindest course of action. The infections will become worse and eventually spread into his teeth and mouth. He should really see a vet and be tested so this can be ruled out.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the other cats have received their FVRCP shot, they will have some immunity from URI's. If they do catch it, it will be a mild case. Even if they only received the initial vaccine and not the booster 3 weeks later, they will have some protection.

Is there a reason this cat can't be brought to a vet? FIV is a real possibility, and that is transmitted by bite wounds. If he gets into fights with other cats, and bites them, they will get infected. If he has FIV and is getting frequent infections, and no one is willong to adopt him and bring him inside, euthanasia is the kindest course of action. The infections will become worse and eventually spread into his teeth and mouth. He should really see a vet and be tested so this can be ruled out.
I don’t know if he has seen a vet or not. He’s not one of the strays I take care of.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can share some of the input you've gotten on this thread with the cat's caretaker? I know you're concerned about the cats you care for being exposed to this cat's illness, so it would be a win win solution for all to have this kitty seen by a vet. Good luck and best wishes for this kitty.