Why does Terra the Cat love to lay in my spot on my bed?

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I let Terra the Cat sleep with me. The thing is, she always wants to sleep in my spot. Sometimes she will movr with some gentle prodding, other times, I have to sleep on the other side of the bed.

I don’t really have a problem with this, but I am curious. Any insight?

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I let Terra the Cat sleep with me. The thing is, she always wants to sleep in my spot. Sometimes she will movr with some gentle prodding, other times, I have to sleep on the other side of the bed.

I don’t really have a problem with this, but I am curious. Any insight? I often find one of my two cats occupying my pillow. I believe that they like my scent and feel close to me even though I'm not laing there.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty simple. She wants the spot that smells most like you. I would just gently pick her up and move her over to “her” spot. You can try laying a pj top or bottom that you have worn in spot you want her to sleep and she might go to that spot. You can also try a piece of fleece or wool, which cats often enjoy laying on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don’t misunderstand, I fully accept that this is HER bed and it’s ME that’s being allowed to sleep with HER.

It’s funny, because often when I move my pillow to the other side of the bed to sleep there, she will get up and let me have the spot. That said, I do sleep with a CPAP, so I’ll see if leaving some of my worn clothes on the other side of the bed will entice her to sleep there.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I have been sitting on the bed, and I get up to do something, Delilah is usually right in the spot that I vacated. Like within 2 minutes. If I want that spot I have to pick her up and move her.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don’t really have a problem with this, but I am curious. Any insight?
its just not your spot any more :lol:thats how cats are the ultimate bed hog they will sleep right against/ontop of you trapping that arm or leg then take up any space you give up . :lol:until they have all the space worse than any spouse or significant other. jokes aside it could be your scent is strongest/warmer there if "your spot" got stolen soon as you happen to leave a sec:flail:just dont try telling your cat" but thats my spot" it doesnt work my gf complains to graycie that way all the time it doest work

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, as other members have said, it most definitely has to do with your scent. Our cat will only sleep on my left side. I've gotten so used to it that I actually make room in the bed for him. However, if I turn over he gets insulted and jumps off the bed. :biggrin:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Two things - one briefly mentioned already - warmth (which can even be an issue with some cats in the summer) & CPAP (there could be vibrations from it that your cat likes, and the closer she is to you to better she can feel them.

As far as scent, goes - sleep on the other side of the bed for a few days and see if/how anything changes with where she wants to sleep. Also, test moving the CPAP machine to the other side of the bed and see if that makes any difference.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While my girls can come into my bed when I'm sitting, reading, watching tv, at work, etc, the one time time they aren't allowed is when I'm trying to sleep. I don't mind them with me for a short nap, but bedtime they are evicted from the bedroom. I honestly can't sleep with them in my bed for more than 30 minutes. I'm a restless sleeper and move a lot and I'm terrified of rolling onto one of them. My older one, who's been with me for nearly 2 years, knows the routine and if I'm napping she'll move into her bedroom cat tree or a bed I have in the room and when I'm sleeping, I'm not opening up the room. My newer cat (had for about 2 months) is still learning that Mom isn't opening the bedroom door after bedtime except for bathroom runs.

Reasons? I was trying to learn how to live with a CPAP (failed - couldn't get used to it) when I adopted the 1st cat, bad experiences with my sister's beagle trying to sleep in bed with me (not my choice, bed was too small, and I move too much), and lingering effects of mom's "no pets on the bed at all" rules from childhood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About the CPAP, Terra has the most curious behavior of hopping on top of me and licking the exhaust vent in the mask. Usually I don’t mind, but Terra likes to put her front paws on my collarbone or neck, and her hind paws on my solar plexus. Terra is a considerate kitty, and has learned to move/shift her weight if I get uncomfortable, but I’ve never been able to figure out why she loves doing this so much.