Why does she bring LIVE animals in the house??

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have an indoors only cat, but she does have a nice catio with a cat door to come and go as she pleases. No matter how carefully we have secured the perimeters, suicidal rodents will somehow get in (I guess they burrow under the framing.) Stella catches them and brings them in the house where she lets them go so she can stalk them for entertainment, I guess.

She could play with them in the catio all she wants - there is plenty of room - but NO, she has to bring them inside. And she could kill them anytime but she doesn't she just lets them go so she can catch them only to let them go again. Meanwhile we're running all over the house trying to rescue the latest mouse, chipmunk or lizard.

WTH??? I always thought that the scent of a cat is supposed to deter rodents, but these critters that have an ENTIRE yard to run around freely will spend all their energy digging their way into the Lion's Den. Why is that?

So, after today's latest Tom & Jerry episode, I'm at my wit's end.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there food in the catio? Is it cooler in the catio? I would start closing off the catio so the cat has to ask to come in and you can do a mouth check! At least she's good at catching the vermin!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. When Feeby was younger, she would bring lizards in from the patio to play with. Ended up killing some, as we found the skeletons, and others we chased around the house to remove them. The lizards were able to squeeze in under the very small gap on our patio door. Although, lizards can get in through screening if the holes are not miniscule in size.

I don't think you can stop her, so you need to search around to see where they are getting in, and seal it off if at all possible. May be something as simple as caulking any small gaps you find. As mentioned above, usually rodents only go where they are finding food sources, so make sure there is nothing on the catio attracting them. If you find anything, remove it, but be patient as it will take some time for them to figure out there is nothing for them. I found no natural deterrents or traps when they got in our garage - just to remove some squirrel and bird food I stored out there and wait for them to figure out it was gone. Tbh, they were at my neighbor's house too, and he went through the process of putting down rat poison (which I wouldn't do, but it did eventually get rid of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there food in the catio? Is it cooler in the catio? I would start closing off the catio so the cat has to ask to come in and you can do a mouth check! At least she's good at catching the vermin!
No, no food in the catio ever. We even have a little "outhouse" in there for a litter box, and I'd always heard that used cat litter deterred rodents.

But what I don't understand is why she is bring them in alive, I always thought cats brought home their "kill." That would be bad enough, but at least I wouldn't have to chase it around!

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think cat pee deters rodents, and considering dogs eat cat poop, maybe so do rodents?

I always figured Feeby brought in the lizards to either show us or play with them some more and they got away from her. Sometimes, she would try to talk with them in her mouth and of course that meant she loosened her grip on them.

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think cat pee deters rodents, and considering dogs eat cat poop, maybe so do rodents?

I always figured Feeby brought in the lizards to either show us or play with them some more and they got away from her. Sometimes, she would try to talk with them in her mouth and of course that meant she loosened her grip on them.
The lizards aren't even the worst - it is the "furry" critters she brings in alive and I have to chase all over the house - mice and chipmunks. (She'll also bring in a big squirmy earthworm now and then!)

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Consider yourself truly loved. She's sharing and showing you how to hunt. She probably wonders why you aren't enjoying hunting practice. :lol: I know I shouldn't laugh because it must be frustrating but she really sees you as a cat. I've seen cat's take live prey to kittens so they learn how to hunt and kill prey.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep. She is very proud of her hunting skills and bringing you ' gifts'

Mice can flatten out and get under very small spaces.Worms, snakes come into our garage if there is a tiny space under the door.
Best thing you can do is routinely check for cracks, crevices and gaps around windows, doors and the base of the structure and seal them.

My parents had and indoor/outdoor cat when I was little. She would bring a mouse in a drop it at my mom's feet. Mom would then scream and climb get up on a chair. The cat would pick up the still living mouse get up on the chair my mom was on and proceed to eat the mouse.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I can relate. When our cats were indoor/outdoor, they brought in all kinds of critters--rodents, birds, snakes, lizards, even a squirrel once! Once we made them indoor only, I thought the wild critter adventures were over but nooooo....like you, L lisalu we have a catio and every now and then, some poor hapless rodent will find its way in there.

Ozzy does the same as your cat--he won't chase/eat them out there, he has to bring them in the house. I'll wake up in the middle of the night, hear him running around, and know he's chasing his latest victim. I have to admit, :paperbag: I usually turn over, go back to sleep, and hope that the next morning I'm picking up rodent remains and not hunting for a live rodent in the house. :lol:

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can relate. When our cats were indoor/outdoor, they brought in all kinds of critters--rodents, birds, snakes, lizards, even a squirrel once! Once we made them indoor only, I thought the wild critter adventures were over but nooooo....like you, L lisalu we have a catio and every now and then, some poor hapless rodent will find its way in there.

Ozzy does the same as your cat--he won't chase/eat them out there, he has to bring them in the house. I'll wake up in the middle of the night, hear him running around, and know he's chasing his latest victim. I have to admit, :paperbag: I usually turn over, go back to sleep, and hope that the next morning I'm picking up rodent remains and not hunting for a live rodent in the house. :lol:
Wow, you are way more chill about it than me. I couldn't go back to sleep thinking about her latest "victim" running into my bedroom and taking refuge under my bed. So far, except for a little bird that somehow - and to this day I don't know HOW - got into the catio, she hasn't killed the prey.

Every time we rescue one of Stella's critters and release it back out in the yard I admonish it to "go and tell all your little friends to stay AWAY from the catio! Don't go there!" :lol:

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol when I was younger, we had an orange and white tabby named Fluffy (of course, I named him when I was 13.). He loved to catch the resident furry intruders, and bring them to us. It was our present!! 🤣❣ They would still end up being alive, chase would pursue in the house... If we caught them we'd let them go outside. If Fluff caught them, he'd sit there and growl at you when you wanted him to drop it so you could take it outside... 🤦🤣

I will say one thing, small rodents like to act dead as they think their prey will leave them alone. So your cat might think it's dead, then when they bring it in the house voila!! Unfortunately, that means we end up having to run around behind bookcases and such trying to capture them.

I don't think there's much you can do, other than what K Kris107 said - mouth check when she comes in from the catio. Good luck, and happy hunting? Lol

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol when I was younger, we had an orange and white tabby named Fluffy (of course, I named him when I was 13.). He loved to catch the resident furry intruders, and bring them to us. It was our present!! 🤣❣ They would still end up being alive, chase would pursue in the house... If we caught them we'd let them go outside. If Fluff caught them, he'd sit there and growl at you when you wanted him to drop it so you could take it outside... 🤦🤣

I will say one thing, small rodents like to act dead as they think their prey will leave them alone. So your cat might think it's dead, then when they bring it in the house voila!! Unfortunately, that means we end up having to run around behind bookcases and such trying to capture them.

I don't think there's much you can do, other than what K Kris107 said - mouth check when she comes in from the catio. Good luck, and happy hunting? Lol

Stella goes in and out of the catio all day, and I do try to keep an eye on her, but can't watch her constantly. However, yesterday I DID catch her as she burst through the cat door and bolted upstairs to my sewing room where she enjoys playing "Cat and Mouse." (Yep, lots of hiding places there!). She came in so fast I couldn't stop her and the household was in an uproar until we caught the mouse who did indeed appear to be dead at first, but then seemed to wiggle back to life after my husband picked it up - so we released it in the backyard with instructions to "Tell ALL your brothers and sisters to stay AWAY from the catio!" lol

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you might want to place some shock box traps out side in your yard to kill off the mouse population outside before they get into the catio and caught by your cat to bring inside :lol:

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you might want to place some shock box traps out side in your yard to kill off the mouse population outside before they get into the catio and caught by your cat to bring inside :lol:
I'm not familiar with that, it is a humane type of mouse trap? Also, my son's little terrier spends a lot of time in our backyard, is that something that would affect him?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with that, it is a humane type of mouse trap? Also, my son's little terrier spends a lot of time in our backyard, is that something that would affect him?
the box kills rodents by shocking them with a battery generated electrical current. i think your terrier is to big to be harmed aside from getting spooked if he managed to use a paw trying to dig out a mouse he chased into the box. best to dbl check on that though if you decide to try it.