Why does nobody like black kittys?

roobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would love a black cat. We went to visit the RSPCA centre a few weeks back to donate our old towels and they had so many black cats and kittens. My fiance really wanted take home a beautiful 9 year old black male called Fred who had had an operation on his eyes but we can't have a cat at the moment.

who3rescued3who

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This was my Prince Osccar. He was so handsome! He actually had an attitude problem! But with time, patience and a new fur-ever friend(to help him expel some pented up energy) he calmed down dramatically. Osccar was never really a people person, although he loved to be petted on his terms. It was rare and precious to get a purr from him, even when you could tell he was thoroughly enjoying himself.
Osccars greatest jewel in this world, the very thing he treasured the most was our dog Bentley. Bentley was the only one privilaged enough to receive 99% of Osccars purrs.
Osccar was a very mischievous and rambunctious boy! I couldnt count on 2 hands the amount of dishes he broke! Bugger! Always on the go, extremely curios, and nosey! The only amount of time we ever saw him be quiet was when his Bentley had to go to stay at the Dogters for leg surgery. If Osccar wasn't curled up in he and Bentleys favorite spot sleep it was only to go to the litterbox or to eat. Ocassionally he would look out the window to see if Bentley was there. I'd never experienced seeing a depressed cat, but that was exactly what Osccar was. Within minutes of Bentley being home and Osccar inspecting his buddy to make sure he was ok, he went right back to being his normal, hyperactive self! Lol
Osccar died suddenly when he was only 2. [emoji]128546[/emoji] Bentley was visibly upset when Osccar did not return from the vets. He looked for him, waited for him, and even cried for him. Eventually he began to understand.
Thankfully, before Osccar left us he was able to teach his new playmate Charlie (who was 10 months when we got him) how special Bentley was to him and how to love Bentley just like he did. Now, Charlie cleans Bentley, plays with Bentley, and sleeps with Bentley just as Osccar did. And, he purrs enough for himself and Osccar...who we are sure is watching us from afar to make sure we take cate of his puppy.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love black cats.My first two cats were a solid black cat (Leo) and a tux ( Ziggy) On Nov 3rd I lost my baby Desmond,I was getting my mail and he snuck by me and out the door. I have cat fencing around my back yard so the cats can play there but Desmond was always trying to jump out that front door. I live on a very quiet street. Some of my neighbors have strictly outdoor cats who are 12 and 15 years old.When Des ran out the door there was another cat in my yard which startled him, he jumped off the curb and was hit by my neighbor who was driving by. Desmond was almost 4 . I have been crushed and will never quit reliving the moment he got by me.He was gorgeous and talkative , quirky and social.

A week ago I went to the shelter to visit a friend that volunteers there. Right there in the same enclosure I had first met Desmond was a young adult cat, he was talking to me through the glass as Desi had done. I asked my friend why he was all alone there and she explained that they had been having a month long free cat and kitten event and no one had chose this little guy who was a touch to thin, that made his head look big and his paws were so huge for such a skinny boy. I was offended for him that he was not even chosen during a free cat event so impulsively I took him home.I had not intended to get another cat so soon, sometimes I see this little black cat in his safe room and it hits me that Desmond is never coming back and I cry a lot but, I would have cried whether or not I had brought home this new little fella.I am keeping him separate from my other two cats as it is to soon for them.

I have named him Jack, I tend to call him baby Jack but he is putting on weight fast so I think I will end up calling him Big Jack. He is delightful and charming as every black cat I have ever known has been.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good on you!  *And I believe Desmond wants you to share the love and comfort you gave to him with another deserving cat.  Everything happens for a reason.  Jack was meant to come to you and help to heal your grief, while at the same time you are meant to share a loving and comfortable life with him.*  

Last edited:

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This thread seems the right place to put the picture of a black cat that really made a dent in my life.

He was a neighboring cat that I first saw in 2011. In the fall of 2013 he was apparently abandoned because he started to beg for food. Long story short, I eventually began feeding him at the end of 2014. I would have loved to keep him, but he and my own cat were deadly enemies.

So after a few months I had to turn him over to a shelter. I did this on the understanding that he would be neutered, vaccinated and turned over to a foster family for a quarantine period. But the shelter found him so agressive that they put him down. Besides wasting the life of a young and healthy cat, they made me lose much of my faith in the animal "rescue" business.

He was a great personality, an alpha male and a survivor who took.winter temperatures of 0 F in his stride. We became great friends, and I feel miserable and guilty about his fate. Here he is, posing for the camera:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sweet little boy. <3 ((((((((^^)))))))) <3 Fly free, sweet panther princeling angel!  

I am so very sorry you had that experience, and for your loss.  

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

What a sweet little boy. <3 ((((((((^^)))))))) <3 Fly free, sweet panther princeling angel!  

I am so very sorry you had that experience, and for your loss.  
Thank you, Tarasgirl. The thing about cat sorrows is that there are so few to share them with. In particular, I am rather disappointed that no neighbors took an interest in this cat. Cats really have very few friends. I made the mistake of trusting this organization that has something about "animal protection" in its name. It won't happen again.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you won't let it happen again. They should have called you before they put him to sleep. Is there any way you can post a warning on their website?

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for sharing such loving stories of black cats. My first cat was a Tuxedo named Boogy. I now have another Tuxedo named Obie. From my experience black cats are affectionate, smart, cuddly, and all over just wonderful to love. In ancient times they were thought to be the familiar to witches,and many other superstitious imaginings. I however love them, and so do we all. I hope more people will give these special kitties loving homes.

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
  Quote:
I'm sure you won't let it happen again. They should have called you before they put him to sleep. Is there any way you can post a warning on their website?
Actually, they let me know by email that he would be put down in two days. I wrote back twice to argue against putting him down but to no avail. I was then between a rock and a hard place. This cat was a problem for other cats, and the neighbors did not want him here. He would need neutering and a home in order to calm down. Eventually I did call to say that I wanted to bring him back, but they had already killed him. And i have no idea whether they would have let him go.

The most disturbing thing here is the lack of understanding. They seemed to think this cat was feral when he was in fact entirely tame, just very proud and scared. I should have been able to prevent this if I had known more about laws and regulations beforehand.

It is not possible for me to post a warning on their website, and it would not be entirely fair. I think the main problem here is the size of an organization - the bigger it is, the less sensitive.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those stupid superstitions are only from people of European descent, and not all European countries' traditions are like that.  These stupid and ignorant beliefs need to be educated out of all people.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why there's TheCatSite! and other groups online.  We are millions all over the world!  In reality, cats are the world's and the nation's (US) most beloved companion animal, with over 14 million more cats than the next most popular animal, dogs, in US homes alone.  As for black cats, in many cultures they are thought to bring good fortune, and in many others, they are the same as cats of any other color.  Only a few backward cultures have the ignorant superstition, as they do a lot of other terrible and untrue things such as that "cats suck babies' breaths" .  SO ridiculous and we will never know the numbers of innocent lives lost because of peoples' stupidity and ignorance!

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First cat I adopted(well my mom, I was 9) was black, then in 2003 I had another black kitty. Right now we have 3 true blacks, 2 blacks with minimum white, 1 tuxedo and recently 2 black and white cats. I love black cats.

Oh and I do live in Europe but no superstitions here, must be the Scottish blood in me(my mom's family)

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's funny, my Mum is of Scottish descent (Scot all the way) and I often say it was her who brainwashed me into my love, not only of black cats, but black dogs and black horses too.  I can still distinctly remember when I was three years old and we would be moving to our own house my Mum saying when we did we'd get a black cat and a black dog.  Believe it or not, about a month after we did move, and on my fourth birthday, a stray black cat showed up and stayed.