Why Does My Dog Love Cat Toys?

jojow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone.

I've noticed that my dog prefers playing with cat toys over traditional dog toys, and it's quite puzzling.

Despite having a variety of toys designed specifically for dogs, my pup consistently gravitates towards the smaller, more delicate toys meant for my cat.

Could it be the size, texture, or perhaps the intriguing sounds some cat toys make?

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this and if there are any insights into why dogs might find cat toys more appealing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jojow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone.

I've noticed that my dog prefers playing with cat toys over traditional dog toys, and it's quite puzzling.

Despite having a variety of toys designed specifically for dogs, my pup consistently gravitates towards the smaller, more delicate toys meant for my cat.

Could it be the size, texture, or perhaps the intriguing sounds some cat toys make?

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced their furry friend's fascination with cat toys, and if there are any insights into why dogs might find cat toys more appealing. Specifically, I'm wondering: why does my dog play with cat toys?
Any advice or similar stories would be greatly appreciated!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m wondering what breed your dog is if any. Some breeds were originally used to hunt specific animals, so that could be a reason.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd imagine because they're little, fun, novel and maybe even forbidden!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My oldest Papillon has been obsessed with cat toys since she was a puppy. She loves her own toys but will steal the cats toys at any given moment. My youngest Papillon (3 1/2 months) will grab them up but get distracted by another toy...or a cat...or the radio...or the wind....or if someone blinks. :lol:
I had a Papillon years ago who went crazy for catnip mice. And another that would lose his mind when I would bring out a tiny little bird shaped cat toy that made peeping noises when you moved it. I don't know what it is, but it's pretty normal in my house!

bloomy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dog does the same thing! I think it might be because cat toys are often smaller and make different noises than dog toys, which can be really interesting for them. My dog especially loves the little jingly balls.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it is the ones that make sounds.....dogs are hunters too, especially the small ones. Every dog I have had hunted mice.
I'm almost positive Livie would hunt mice if the opportunity presented itself. And I'm almost positive Balki would trap one, bring it home and keep it as his new pet. 🤣

vampiric_conure

Chirp Meow Bark!!!
Young Cat
Purraise
My Italian Greyhound, Winter, loves cat toys. They're small and the flirt toys make her satisfy her hunting urges. She also loooooves crinkle toys, LOL!