Why does my cat throws up just before/after or while pooping?

sanguine-

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my cat (she must be around 1-1.5 year old stray cat at that time) nearly 2 months ago. She had diarrhea at that time so first I took her to a vet and switched a no-grain dry foot. It cured, there was no problem since then. Now she has yellow, mucus-like diarrhea and she is vomiting generally right after she defecates. She can hold food for hours, but the moment she goes to litter, she throws up.

She had no signs of lethargy. She is energetic and wants to play all the time. She is still eating and drinking water a lot. Her blood analysis showed no signs of infection or imbalance. I really don't get it.

I already took her to two vets they couldn't figure out the situation. They gave her some antibiotics and pills and told me to wait 2-3 days. (where I live, I'm not able to find a good experienced pet vet, they generally examine cows and farm animals)

7dd5b15e-5d3b-486e-aa65-d1891fa42983.jpg

913bc599-db4a-4485-a7b4-8cb035bf4627.jpg

Blood test

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How digested is the food when she vomits - mostly, partially, or barely digested? Most, but not all cats, tend to use the litterbox shortly after eating, so how long of a time span is there between eating and pooping - in general? And, how long has this been going on? The only comment I can make about the tests is the high RBC and related counts that are noted on the record as polycythemia. Did the vet(s) mention this at all? It can be the result of stress (vet visit, for example), dehydration (her continual throwing up), but it can also be from other issues as well. That is why I thought the vet(s) might have mentioned it to you, if for no other reason than to bring your attention to it.

I would have suggested it could be a food allergy, but I don't see that how fits when looking at the connection between her using the litter box and vomiting as a result of that. So, the other thought that came to my mind is that she has a partial obstruction somewhere in her digestive tract, which would explain the diarrhea and perhaps even the vomiting due to straining to defecate. That is probably just one of a possible number of causes, and merely a guess on my part. What did the vet say about the color and consistency of her feces?

Did the vet perform a full fecal PCR test to look for bacterial/viral issues (as well as parasites)? Was there any discussion of at least doing x-rays, if not an ultrasound? Tbh, it would seem to make sense to have these tests done since they have no other ideas.

Sorry for all the questions, but the answers may help to shed some light on possible causes.

Hopefully other members will come along soon and have some other ideas for you to consider.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me, it sounds like constipation. Vomiting after pooping often happens in constipated cats because of the straining and exertion in the litter box. Diarrhea can also be a sign of constipation, strangely enough. Basically, the softer school is squeezed out around the harder stool that is still stuck there.

If your vets are not able to feel anything through palpitation, an ultrasound or x-ray might be needed to diagnose it, depending on how comfortable they are with each technique.

It's great that your cat is still active and eating. If any of that changes, get her to a vet right away and maybe ask for an enema. I don't love the blind prescription of antibiotics without knowing the cause. I think probiotics would be good for her because she clearly has some digestion issues, they'll help replenish her system after the antibiotics, and I've found probiotics to be very helpful in preventing constipation if that is the case.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Counterintuitively, that sounds like constipation: obstruction, and/or inflammation. The diarrhea you are seeing is what is able to squeeze past. She is barfing from the effort.

That’s theory 1. Palpation and an X-ray would help here.

Theory 2 is an infection. Ask your vet if they can send a stool sample off for a Diarrhea PCR test.

Theory 3 is IBD/lymphoma. Which is rare in a cat so young. An ultrasound would be the next diagnostic test for this.

The easiest you can do at home that might give her relief and prevent the need for more tests is to add wet food to her diet. Try something simple and popular like Fancy Feast Classic pates, Purina Beyond, Sheba, or even Friskies. Try to avoid fish or fish flavors and cheese ingredients in some Friskies flavors. The fewer carbohydrate ingredients like fruits, vegetables, grains, and starches, the easier it will be on her digestion.