Why does my cat poop outside the litter box?

BillyBobcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat keeps pooping outside the litter box, in the middle of my bed to be exact, instead of in their litter tray. They do all of their peeing in the tray so it's particularly frustrating. Any suggestions on why this is happening and any advice on how to stop it?

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you change litter recently? How often do you clean the box? I used the tidy cat litter breeze for a short time and if I didn’t clean it daily my cat would poop on the floor. Regular litter she was fine with

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BillyBobcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I haven't changed the litter recently so I don't think that's it. When you say clean the box, what do you mean? I use a clumping litter so I clean the clumps out daily but it'd be longer, maybe a week, before I'd empty out and wash the entire litter box. Perhaps I need to clean it more thoroughly more frequently? I just don't understand that he's willing to use it for peeing but then decides to jump on my bed or my spare room bed to go for a number 2. It seems very extreme!

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I meant clean the poop out. 🙂 Did something else in the household change? New pet? Child? Moving? If absolutely nothing has changed, I would call a vet and have him checked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BillyBobcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No other changes at all! I'll call the vet. Thanks for your help.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You’re welcome. Let us know what the vet says. My friend has a cat that spite pees when he’s mad at my friend. Either because he was gone to long, my friend wouldn’t let him outside, he got a new cat etc

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve read other threads here too that say age can be a factor, or depth of litter box. Someone else said having more than one litter tray helps, as they like to poop and pee in separate boxes. 🙄

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Someone else said having more than one litter tray helps, as they like to poop and pee in separate boxes. 🙄
Some cats apparently will not use one litter tray for both. I’ve never heard what the percentages are.

Is this something that started happening all of the sudden? How old is he, and what were his litter habits before?

Sometimes a cat will poop in a different location because they associate pain with the box. As in- they were constipated and had a difficult time, so they don’t want to go there anymore for no.2. It is probably not anything to do with the litter or your cleaning since he urinates there.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, if everything checks out at the vet, I'd add at least one more litter box. If the problem persists, let us know! This is a common problem and there are lots of things you can try to solve it.