Why does my cat not like wet food anymore?

SAVANNALP

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of a sudden the wet food I was feeding squishy changed. The company completely changed it up and he refused to eat it. I’ve bought him different brands so much variety and he hates everything. Is this bad he won’t eat wet anymore?? He has no issues with drinking water he drinks a lot and loves his dry food.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried adding freeze dried chicken? My cat has decided she doesn't like her wet anymore so I mix in something else she likes. One of my cats only likes pate with pieces of meat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SAVANNALP

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He doesn’t like much other then treats and his dry food LOL!!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The only pate she will eat is tiki after dark or farmina because it has ground meat,chicken,duck, or quail . Maybe there is an ingredient she doesn't like anymore?
Anything she can chew. How old is he?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can add dry food to his new wet food. I find most cats need a variety of different wet food or they get bored. You can try to find ones that are similar to the brand your cat loved.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It would be better if he would eat wet, but he also has to eat so keep the dry food available until you resolve this. You have probably tried to do this, but can you duplicate the type or texture of the food in another product? What was the food? Maybe someone could give more advice with the brand name listed.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Definitely try either mixing some of his beloved dry food into any wet food to see if that will tempt him, or try crushing up some and sprinkling that on top of some wet food. Worth a try at least.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SAVANNALP

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He use to eat blue Buffalo healthy gourmet chicken pate. But now it’s the tastyfuls and he HATES it. I’ve tried so many different brands all same flavor same texture, different flavor. Everything. LOL!

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tend to give my two a different wet food at each meal to keep up variety and avoid boredom.
I have not tried those two brands you mention but if possible I would go to a pet store and ask for cans of single foods similar to those if he likes or used to like pate.
For variety you could try another texture as well. If introducing new food I would not do it when dry food is down.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he and when is the last time he had his teeth checked? Sometimes changes in food preferences are related to mouth discomfort or pain. You wouldn't think so. But dry food can be easier for cats with dental pain as they're only going to crunch it once or twice before swallowing it still mostly whole. If he hasn't had his teeth checked in awhile, that might be something to consider just to rule that out.

Otherwise, order some Forti Flora and sprinkle that on his wet food. It features an ingredient that gives kibble its appeal.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello. I was doing some searching on this same topic and created an account specifically to reply to this question. I have 5 rescues/adopted strays. The 2 girls are sometimes picky, but we generally rotate several wet varieties. Whatever is on sale since there are so many mouths.

For the last 2 months, most or all of them refuse several types they have eaten for 1-2 years. On top of that, they are finicky about eating the pricier varieties we have had to resort to lately because of shortages. I am thinking shorts and supply and transport issues are having a trickle down on ingredients and brands are downgrading? My one hunter is doing just fine but the other 4 are slimming down. The 2 babies are just hitting their first birthday.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It may be Bri5 Bri5 . The Suez back up caused a lot of delays not related to covid and we are still probably winding through the effects of that as well.

Bri5

Alpha Cat
Purraise
It may be Bri5 Bri5 . The Suez back up caused a lot of delays not related to covid and we are still probably winding through the effects of that as well.
My area has been sparse in cat food since November but they haven't been rejecting food until recently. I don't blame them. Some of the stuff smells horrendous. Are you noticing dog food is pretty stable, though? It seems to be only cat food struggling here.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bri5 Bri5
I only have cats so I have not noticed with dog food but I am outside the US In Europe.
Some of our favorite brands were out of stock here for awhile this spring.
Here I use several different online sites to order and sometimes that helps, if one place is out another may have but this spring certain brands were out all over.
For the US, lots of people seem to order from Chewy.

Bri5

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bri5 Bri5
I only have cats so I have not noticed with dog food but I am outside the US In Europe.
Some of our favorite brands were out of stock here for awhile this spring.
Here I use several different online sites to order and sometimes that helps, if one place is out another may have but this spring certain brands were out all over.
For the US, lots of people seem to order from Chewy.
Ah so you primarily shop online. Gotcha! :) Here, the pet food aisle in a standard shop has cat food on one side and dog food on the other. Only the one seems to be struggling. I had trouble ordering the case I wanted several hours ago, but was able to snag another of equal size. 40 cans only lasts 20 breakfasts here with 5 kitties.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bri5 Bri5
Yep, mostly online, as there is more variety here online.

I do like to browse shops and look for new food but shops seem to carry less than online. Plus I order from several different places to get all the brands I want, as are not all carried by all.

Thats odd cat food is going faster than dog food but maybe people bought up more over lockdown for dogs or tend to buy bigger bags even for smaller dogs, so need to restock less often.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Chewy is not exactly stocked up either depending on what you are looking for. I have noticed that some expensive food has been rejected by my cats as well which does make me wonder what is going on there. At my local Petsmart, it is definitely the cat food that is hit, not the dog food.