why does my cat like to shower with me?

opithecat

Cat Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
Is just me or does everyones kitty hop in the shower with them. My cat opi is a 2 year old exotic shorthair and he always finds is way into the bathroom and sits on the bathtub ledge in between the clear piece of the shower curtain and the cloth piece of the curtain so cute. just wondering why he enjoys it so much? oh hes also fell in a couple times.
1C5F69BC-80A2-483B-BF7D-58BBBAC294A9.jpeg

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats also loves the water. He jumps in the shower with me often. He also plays with running tap water and regularly jumps in the sink and steals the stopper. Another one of my cats won't go anwyhere near the bathroom but likes to sit outside the door and wait for me, and the third is kind of indifferent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

opithecat

Cat Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats also loves the water. He jumps in the shower with me often. He also plays with running tap water and regularly jumps in the sink and steals the stopper. Another one of my cats won't go anwyhere near the bathroom but likes to sit outside the door and wait for me, and the third is kind of indifferent.
How cute. Yes my Mr.Opi will sit outside the bathroom if i close the door behind me. He likes my showers but doesnt like bathtime

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I will catch him playing in the bathtub all alone. He’s a odd ball.
Sometimes I fill the bathtub with water and put these little battery operated fishies in there. My cat loves to chase it in the water. I know lots of Bengal cats love this activity too.

Just make sure to supervise so they don't swallow any of the fish parts, but they are pretty big and I haven't had a problem with the parts falling apart.

opithecat

Cat Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I fill the bathtub with water and put these little battery operated fishies in there. My cat loves to chase it in the water. I know lots of Bengal cats love this activity too.

Just make sure to supervise so they don't swallow any of the fish parts, but they are pretty big and I haven't had a problem with the parts falling apart.
i need to check those out. He really only likes my shoelaces and or his catnip stuffed banana I got for him. Or he likes the butterflys that spin.

This is his all time favorite.

FFFEE639-7115-4CB3-92B5-00B0CDAD28FC.png

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I think it's love, too.

My kitten had to leave her mom and siblings too young, so she originally bonded more closely with one of my dogs than myself. She didn't start crying when I closed the bathroom door until she had shown other signs of getting really into the human. She's also not particularly afraid of water. Not all cats are.

One of my favourite Himalayans on the site enjoys his regular baths, according to his person, since he has been accustomed to them from a very early age.

opithecat

Cat Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's love, too.

My kitten had to leave her mom and siblings too young, so she originally bonded more closely with one of my dogs than myself. She didn't start crying when I closed the bathroom door until she had shown other signs of getting really into the human. She's also not particularly afraid of water. Not all cats are.

One of my favourite Himalayans on the site enjoys his regular baths, according to his person, since he has been accustomed to them from a very early age.
I wish he loved baths. Haha
He doesn’t mind when i get his eye boogies. Im pretty sure he enjoys his freshly cleaned eyes.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to shut my cat out of the bathroom or else he is in the shower with me..he loves it.
I would let him come in but one of my other Bengals that used to do the same got shampoo in his eyes and I don't want a repeat of that.
Some cats of all breeds and non breeds just love water...no rules with cats..lol

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl does exact same thing, she sits on the edge of the bathtub between curtains when we shower. Interestingly, she's afraid of water and normally avoids any possibility of touching it. I'm really glad that she does that as she's asthmatic cat with herpes virus, so any opportunity to get some steam into her respiratory track is helpful, especially when herpes flares ups.

My other cat is fascinated by water. He doesn't particularly like getting wet but enjoys watching it flow, moving his water bowls to make it splash, playing with any dish filled with water we leave in the sink. He usually uses his forehead to move the heavier things to make it splash. I love watching him do that and I'm glad he does it, as he's sworn non drinker and at least he gets some water when he cleans himself after he plays.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So cute😻❤ Quinn is afraid of the shower if I am in there but he used to sit between the shower curtain and liner 😹 I don’t know why your kitty does it, but some breeds love water, none of mine ever have but who knows why😹 But if I am using the toilet etc. he insists on being with me and will push the door open to get in😹

opithecat

Cat Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
So cute😻❤ Quinn is afraid of the shower if I am in there but he used to sit between the shower curtain and liner 😹 I don’t know why your kitty does it, but some breeds love water, none of mine ever have but who knows why😹 But if I am using the toilet etc. he insists on being with me and will push the door open to get in😹
He always tends to make it known he wants to be in the bathroom with no matter what. Haha thank you.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, one of my kitties is always on the edge of the bathtub (and dipping a paw into the bath) or wanting into the shower with me. It's funny.

Mind you she doesn't really want to get wet (or at least not more than her paws), but she is intensely curious and always wants to watch the water.