Why does my cat keep stepping in her own poop

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every time my 8 week old female kitten uses the litter box she steps in her own poop. Every single time. My male kitten same age never does it. Someone help!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Do you have two litter boxes? If not, start there, and maybe get the second one a bit larger. It might just be that there is too much 'stuff' in the box and she can't 'maneuver' her way around it. Keeping it clean, especially with little kittens, is critical. She could also grow out of it - she is still pretty young, but there are cats who never do, just to forewarn you. The article below contains a lot of information, including links to several other 'litter box' issues - one or more of them might have some tips/thoughts on why this might be happening and if there are corrective steps you could take.

She is still a little one, but her stool should be starting to firm up - if it is still pretty soft it will be a bit more of an issue when she does step in it.

The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know – Cat Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Do you have two litter boxes? If not, start there, and maybe get the second one a bit larger. It might just be that there is too much 'stuff' in the box and she can't 'maneuver' her way around it. Keeping it clean, especially with little kittens, is critical. She could also grow out of it - she is still pretty young, but there are cats who never do, just to forewarn you. The article below contains a lot of information, including links to several other 'litter box' issues - one or more of them might have some tips/thoughts on why this might be happening and if there are corrective steps you could take.

She is still a little one, but her stool should be starting to firm up - if it is still pretty soft it will be a bit more of an issue when she does step in it.

The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know – Cat Articles
She’s had Diarrhea for a while due to the kitten milk not agreeing with her I’ve changed her onto water but she’s still got it. I always keep the litter box clean even if they just pee in it I always change the whole box with brand new litter, she just always steps in it!! Then I have to bathe her and she hates it, I usually have to bathe her 3 times a day now as she is constantly stepping in it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you starting to wean her from milk? When you do, that might help. Instead of bathing her, can you use unscented, hypoallergenic wipes to clean her off, so that she doesn't have to endure so many baths? Even a little tub of water and a soft cloth with some soap would be better than an entire bath.

Hopefully other members will have some ideas about a kitten milk replacer that might not cause her so much diarrhea!!

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you starting to wean her from milk? When you do, that might help. Instead of bathing her, can you use unscented, hypoallergenic wipes to clean her off, so that she doesn't have to endure so many baths? Even a little tub of water and a soft cloth with some soap would be better than an entire bath.

Hopefully other members will have some ideas about a kitten milk replacer that might not cause her so much diarrhea!!
She’s drinking water now so the diarrhea will go away in a few days, according to my vet. I think she may just need more of a spacious litter tray but usually they’re all one size, I can’t find any large trays!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check amazon.com, Petco.com, chewy.com and look at all the trays they have, just to name a few of the many online sites you could look through to get some ideas. I don't know how big your tray is already, but generally most people don't start out with the largest ones to begin with when they are dealing with kittens - maybe you did!?!?

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Check amazon.com, Petco.com, chewy.com and look at all the trays they have, just to name a few of the many online sites you could look through to get some ideas. I don't know how big your tray is already, but generally most people don't start out with the largest ones to begin with when they are dealing with kittens - maybe you did!?!?
The tray I’ve got is small but not extra small, my male kitten who is the same age and size is fine with it and he has no accidents, he’s a really good boy. But the female is a bit fussy I think she wants more space? So Maybe I get her a large tray just for her and still leave the smaller tray out for the male to use

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The tray I’ve got is small but not extra small, my male kitten who is the same age and size is fine with it and he has no accidents, he’s a really good boy. But the female is a bit fussy I think she wants more space? So Maybe I get her a large tray just for her and still leave the smaller tray out for the male to use
That would be an excellent thing to try! Some cats are just pickier than others, but I still think eventually she might outgrow it, especially with the help of eliminating the diarrhea. It is possible that it bothers her somewhat having the diarrhea, and affects how she uses the litter box.

Katie13501999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That would be an excellent thing to try! Some cats are just pickier than others, but I still think eventually she might outgrow it, especially with the help of eliminating the diarrhea. It is possible that it bothers her somewhat having the diarrhea, and affects how she uses the litter box.
Thanks for the advice. Going to try get her a larger tray