Why does my cat drivel?

marianne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is a Maine Coon male. He is 17 years old. There are often some drops where he lies.
That is probably because he drivels. He often licks himself. There is somwtimes a drop near his mouth.
Is this normal for old cats?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not clear, is he leaking from his back end, or drooling from his mouth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marianne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He drooling from his mouth only and it looks like water.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drivel means to let saliva escape from the mouth, I had to look that up, learned something new! at 17 it could be he has teeth problems and then you have to decide if it is bothering hm enough to put him through a cleaning. Only a vet could tell you. Does he seem to be in pain at all, what do his teeth look like, any redness at the gumline? He could have had a small stroke, or it COULD be a an old age thing. The best thing to do is to bring him to a vet and explain things. He may just be tired after all that licking. PS teh only time I have had a cat drool is when they had oral problems or ate something they shouldn't have. Some meds cause it too, Benadryl for allergies is very bitter.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am guessing his teeth and gums are probably bad. When was his last dental cleaning?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
My Emerson will drivel (we call it dripping) when he is very, very content. He will be purring and condensation will be collecting and dripping off of his nose/lips.